Author Topic: 8th Annual Get together Give away items..  (Read 2480 times)

Offline USMC130FE

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
Re: 8th Annual Get together Give away items..
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2017, 06:53:08 AM »
Woooooo
Sylvan Beach area, Northern NY, zone 4B

Offline Zook

• Sprout
  • Zookdesign.com
    • View Profile
    • www.zookdesign.com
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2017, 06:05:52 PM »
Want to share a pic USMC130FE aka Steve sent me of Maxwell sporting the goods I sent him..  Maxwell makes it look good.lol..

Offline Zook

• Sprout
  • Zookdesign.com
    • View Profile
    • www.zookdesign.com
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2017, 06:33:25 PM »
Back to the project.. it may seam like this should be a easy deal.. we shall see..

The handles Randy sent that were already shaped are let me say Awesome.. there is 2 styles and as a tool they both fit the hand SO nice... I would not be able to choose what one would be better..   So what I did was take one and started to see how the wood would accept my epoxy and decals. as you can see for your self it looks pretty nice.. but for what I'm looking for I don't think this will work.. I'll have to do a lot of beer/looking... That's how I think, lay the parts out, open a beer and just stare at em for a while.. sometimes I see  it right away, sometimes it takes days, sometimes I end up working it out on the fly..lol..

The list of wood Randy sent was White Ash,,, Black Cherry,,, Brazilian Cherry,, and some ruff chunks of Walnut... Randy will have to correct me if I get this wrong but from what I understand,, the Walnut is some scrap pieces from the Remington Arms gun company in NY.. but the wood was grown in Missouri. What I nice bit of history with those pieces for sure..

These pic's are just some of my testing...

Offline thebayougardener

• "Keep it Simple" - "Less is More"
  • Administrator
  • Grasshopper
    • View Profile
    • The Bayou Gardener
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2017, 06:55:08 PM »
Looking good Zook.

Donald
Located on the banks of Bayou des Glaises - Louisiana  Zone 8

Retired and loving it.  Didn't know life could be so good.

http://www.thebayougardener.com

Offline Boudreaux in Eunice La.

• Sprout
  • Zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2017, 07:26:39 PM »
X 2 looking good ~!~!
I'm a optimist. Pessimists think all girls are bad. The optimist hope he's right ~!~!

Click for weather forecast

Offline Zook

• Sprout
  • Zookdesign.com
    • View Profile
    • www.zookdesign.com
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2017, 07:08:48 PM »
No Pictures to show but a little update. After some drinking/thinking I think I finely got something in my head. But can I get what's in my head to a final product? Well I do know I personally could not so I had to do more thinking.  Made a few calls to different people and enlisted the help of Forum Member Maggie13. (Brave soul to take on a project trying to get something out of this Cajun head. lol)
So a box was packed up and shipped up to NY.

Next post will be the results of the little wood trip up North.

And by the way I'm 100% sure I got the right people for this job. If you have not seen their projects on the forum, look them up.
Maggs thanks for helping out with this, feel free to post your website so others can see y'alls work... simply amazing. 

Online Maggie13

• Sprout
  • built-incabinets
    • View Profile
    • built-incabinets.com
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2017, 05:34:57 AM »
Want to share a pic USMC130FE aka Steve sent me of Maxwell sporting the goods I sent him..  Maxwell makes it look good.lol..

Looking Good Maxwell!

You are welcome Zook!
It was our pleasure to be a small part of your project.
 I will be camped out right here for the next update.

So as not to distract from this thread I will add our web address to my profile for those that are interested in seeing what we do when I am not posting on here.
21' X 48' High Tunnel
Knox, New York   zone 4B

Online Vince6424

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2017, 07:26:28 AM »
Great photo of Maxwell Steve!!  ;)
1/2 acre bush block in the Perth Hills, Australia

Offline Zook

• Sprout
  • Zookdesign.com
    • View Profile
    • www.zookdesign.com
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2017, 09:47:46 AM »
So after some phone time with Maggie they was able to put my idea to the wood.. once one test piece was done and she sent me pictures to make sure we was all on the same page they went to work on the real parts.  didn't take them long and she told me one came out looking like marble, more on that later.

So now I got all the parts back and have to decide the next step.

Online GopherBroke

• Sprout
  • Half Haas Farm
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2017, 07:06:46 PM »
For giggles I found an bought Marmite for some taste testing at the gtg.  Marmite is a British/New Zealand food product, an is a yeast extract that is spread on toast for breakfast but it is an unusual taste for us here in this country. 
zone 5b Half Haas Farm
Bill
Riley, Indiana for the summer

Offline Zook

• Sprout
  • Zookdesign.com
    • View Profile
    • www.zookdesign.com
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2017, 01:03:48 PM »
good news, Donald will post up the pics for me until I get my stuff set up. I will send him the ones we had up to this point then we will bring everyone up to speed on the project..
Standby.

Offline thebayougardener

• "Keep it Simple" - "Less is More"
  • Administrator
  • Grasshopper
    • View Profile
    • The Bayou Gardener
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2017, 03:01:12 PM »
This is what Brent has so far.

Located on the banks of Bayou des Glaises - Louisiana  Zone 8

Retired and loving it.  Didn't know life could be so good.

http://www.thebayougardener.com

Offline Zook

• Sprout
  • Zookdesign.com
    • View Profile
    • www.zookdesign.com
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2017, 08:09:20 PM »
Thanks Donald. To bring everyone up to speed, the first pic is what I got from Randy, the 2nd one is I had once sorted out, and the 3rd and 4th pic is test I was doing on the handle shapes to see how they worked with the stuff I wanted to do with them..

Next I'll post up the write up and then send Donald the pic to go with it.. we will get this project back on track by next week..

Thanks everyone.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 08:11:46 PM by Zook »

Offline Zook

• Sprout
  • Zookdesign.com
    • View Profile
    • www.zookdesign.com
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2017, 01:21:16 PM »
Going to try the ipiccy program Donald suggested until I get my own system in place. lets see how it goes..

This is the box of goodies and all the parts I have once I got the done pieces back from Maggie. See if you can guess the ones I'm going to go with in the picture..

Offline Zook

• Sprout
  • Zookdesign.com
    • View Profile
    • www.zookdesign.com
« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2017, 08:25:03 AM »
OK to the meat and potatoes of the why.
As you can see on the first pic the decal I cut out just does not sit well, great handle design Randy has for the tool to fit the hand but I wanted something more "Cajun simple" for our project.
2nd pic shows all the different styles including the one Maggie did for us.

Offline Zook

• Sprout
  • Zookdesign.com
    • View Profile
    • www.zookdesign.com
« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2017, 08:34:23 AM »
Maggie turned a few different woods to get the shape right and once that was agreed on they turned the wood I chose for the project, went with the Walnut Scraps from the Remington Arms Factory in NY.
The normal wood is awesome in its self but one piece was like O my God pretty.. looks like marble.
Someone will be getting a beautiful piece for sure.

Online Maggie13

• Sprout
  • built-incabinets
    • View Profile
    • built-incabinets.com
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2017, 09:11:40 AM »
It is one beautiful example of Walnut!

I cannot wait to see how you detail it Zook!
21' X 48' High Tunnel
Knox, New York   zone 4B

Offline Boudreaux in Eunice La.

• Sprout
  • Zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2017, 08:57:16 PM »
Zook that Burly Walnut looks superb............

I want to say thank you very much for what you are doing to help out with this forum.

I do try a lot but I can't come close to what you are doing right now >>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Like a few people have said I have a tent set up right here waiting on future posts. I might to get a camper trailer to be more comfy LOL ~!~!
I'm a optimist. Pessimists think all girls are bad. The optimist hope he's right ~!~!

Click for weather forecast

Offline Zook

• Sprout
  • Zookdesign.com
    • View Profile
    • www.zookdesign.com
« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2017, 07:03:27 PM »
Zook that Burly Walnut looks superb............

I want to say thank you very much for what you are doing to help out with this forum.

Boudreaux thanks for the kind words, I was going to do this at the end and I may still, but I want to thank the people that has helped make this happen.. Donald, he talked to Randy to make it happen getting the parts, Randy, he supplied ALL the awesome items but made my job a tad harder with all the choices.. Maggie and Jim for taking time out of there schedule to turn the parts to my specs.  And Donald once more for hosting this great site for all of us to enjoy.

Stand by for more updates soon.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 12:13:40 PM by Zook »

Offline Zook

• Sprout
  • Zookdesign.com
    • View Profile
    • www.zookdesign.com
« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2017, 01:05:04 PM »
Ok time for a scary point, time to epoxy the tools into the handles. If I screw this part up, well lets not even think about that. only happy thoughts.  :)

Randy uses and send me some brass ferrules that fit at the tip of the wood where the tool goes in to keep the end from splitting during heavy use. I'm not going to use those mostly because that's not the look I'm going for, and everyone should Know, these tools are being made for "Display Only" The people that win them can use them as they wish of course but they are Not being built to use. just wanted to make that part is clear.

I'm using a rod epoxy 2 part for the project, lets see how it goes, each part was tested to make sure it goes into the handle the way I wanted it to.. I tried to make sure the nicest part of the handle wood would be showing.