Author Topic: Credit cards  (Read 1773 times)

Offline corl

• Global Moderator
  • Grasshopper
    • View Profile
    • Nunamaker Farms LLC
Credit cards
« on: January 07, 2016, 08:57:48 AM »
Last year I had people asking me if I accepted credit cards at the market. I didn't. There were not a lot of requests but these people wanted to buy larger quantities. This was especially true early in the season when I was selling bedding plants. This year I will be ready using Intuit GoPayment. They send you a card reader for your cell phone and its pretty easy to accomplish. Cash is still king but it adds some appeal/advantage that my fellow Amish vendors don't have. The cost structure is variable depending on what plan you choose. I am sure I will set a minimum sale so I get paid but not sure what that will be at the moment.
Dave   SE Pa Zone 6b
www.nunamakerfarms.com
Kubota MX5100
Kubota F2100
Phoenix 74 inch rototiller
Phoenix 84 inch finish mower
GB70 garden bedder

Offline GopherBroke

• Sprout
  • Half Haas Farm
    • View Profile
Re: Credit cards
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2016, 05:45:47 PM »
I am not a market gardener, but  I run a small garden art business, and I had resisted the use of credit cards for some dumb reasons, but last summer I made the jump, and it couldn't be easier with a smart phone.  I chose "Square", and step one is to have a bank account, step two is to register with Square and download the app.  They will send you a card reader in about 10 days.  Step three is they will ask you to make a small transaction ($1) to confirm that the money does go into your account.  Once that has been confirmed you are off to the races.  The fee to slide a card is 2.74 %, but if you key the card number in the fee is something like 19% if memory servers me, so no manual input.  They take every sort of card, and with the phone on the app you just punch in the total amount and slide the card and the phone will ask for the signature of the card holder, once they scribble their name you hit the continue button and it will sound like a cash register....ka...ching.  My very first day of accepting cards was a $900 day just of CC purchases so you can imagine I was a happy camper!  Square will send you a report the next day on purchases an the money hits your bank on the second business day.  I always thought that I only missed very few sales, because my art is a snap impulse decision and people would find an ATM and come back most of the time.  Now I wounder how many sales I missed?  There is no contract or upfront cost. 
zone 5b Half Haas Farm
Bill
Riley, Indiana for the summer

Offline ONGardener

• Grasshopper
  • Ontario, Canada Zone 4b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2016, 11:29:10 AM »
The market I did this year was strictly Cash Sales. I had a couple people ask about debit or credit cards, but when I said cash only I told them where the atm machine was down the block and most just went and got cash. Wasn't an issue, but it wasn't a huge market either.
Market gardening in Ontario, Canada.
Zone 4b.

Kubota MX5100
74" Tiller
Middle buster
Cultivator
Mulch Layer
Row Hippers

www.facebook.com/eaglevalleyproduce
www.youtube.com/theontariogardener

Offline Jo-Ann

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2016, 05:02:32 PM »
I use Square for credit card purchases at my jams & jellies sales at a local farmers market. Charges are 2.75% per charge. No monthly fee. You can sign up at  https://squareup.com/i/EE521DF0.
Jo-Ann
Gardening in New Orleans

Offline AllisCA

• Grasshopper
  • Amanda, OH
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2016, 08:27:46 AM »
We started 2 yrs ago accepting. We use the square. At first it hardly got used but last it got used quite a bit. You probably don't realize how many sales your missing because people are bashful or just figure they need cash.
The first reader was free. We missed out on the free chip reader and had to pay 40.00 to get it. But is now required. I'm sure it will pay off in the coming season.
DBA PoorBoyz Produce
Zone 5b

Offline Jo-Ann

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2016, 06:24:49 AM »
I looked at my annual charges for 2015, and it amounted to almost 25% of total revenue. The total surprised me. I thought it was a lot less, but most of the charges were for large amounts.
Jo-Ann
Gardening in New Orleans