Author Topic: Not Blanching Field Peas?  (Read 417 times)

Offline Oxbow

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
Not Blanching Field Peas?
« on: July 07, 2017, 02:33:37 PM »
There seems to be so much conflicting advice on the internet when it comes to blanching vegetables.  I read that some people feel that not blanching field peas/crowders before freezing does not affect the taste.  I decided to try this to save time (since shelling by hand takes so much time) and have put up 8 quarts in vacuum sealed bags.  I didn't wash the peas- I just shelled them and put them in a vacuum sealed bag.

Has anyone froze field peas/crowders without blanching?  Am I making a mistake by doing this?  I don't want to realize 6 months from now that I screwed up my entire harvest by not blanching.

Offline Rabbitproof

• Sprout
  • Foothills of the Smokey Mtns-heaven on earth
    • View Profile
Re: Not Blanching Field Peas?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2017, 02:56:34 PM »
Have never tried freezing them----just saved the dried. Let us know how they taste. I have tried just freezing corn  whole with the shuck still on and wrapped in foil---actually, very good.

Offline Ben

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2017, 02:58:49 PM »
Oxbow, I have but them in regular 1 gallon and quart size freezer bags without blanching.  In fact that is the only way I freeze them.  When they are in the gallon bags, I just slam them on the counter and they separate and just take out what I want to cook.  I have given them this way to friends and family.  The only complaint I received was why they did not get 2 gallons.  One year I had a good year and used a friend's freezer to but some extra in.   After 18 months they were still good.

I also do corn on the cobb the same way with no ill effects.

By using a vacuum sealer you should be even 1 step ahead.

Ben

Northwest La. zone 8b

Offline TheCutNShootTiredGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Grasshopper
  • Let's make some SMOKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2017, 04:12:47 PM »
...As long as You don't wash Peas or Beans, You can vacuum seal them and put in the Freezer. That is what we have done "Forever". Putting them up wet/damp, will cause them to sour.

Offline Double B

• Sprout
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2017, 04:38:10 PM »
There are quite a few people who do not blanch. By not blanching, you are not killing the enzymes. Eventually they will rot in the freezer. I have a friend that puts his straight in the freezer after shelling into a white cotton pillow case. It works for him.

In my opinion, after I have spent all the time and effort of planting, growing, picking and shelling, the last thing I will do is take a chance. To each their own but when I take mine out of the freezer, all I have to do is dump them in the boiling water.
14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere 655Z

Offline Oxbow

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2017, 04:45:23 PM »
...As long as You don't wash Peas or Beans, You can vacuum seal them and put in the Freezer. That is what we have done "Forever". Putting them up wet/damp, will cause them to sour.

I didn't wash mine before putting them in the freezer.  When you take them out of the freezer, do you let them thaw first before rinsing them, or do you dump them in a colander under running water?

I ordered a Taylor pea sheller, and once that comes in I will probably try blanching a few batches to compare. 

Thanks for all the answers!

Offline SpringTxGardener

• Grasshopper
  • Located between Spring and The Woodlands Texas, 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2017, 09:16:16 PM »
Oxbow, you are going to love the Taylor pea sheller.      I'm like Double B, I blanch and then freeze purple hull peas, I don't want to take a chance of them having an off taste after a few months.     I am going to can a few jars this year just to see if they taste better than I remember when I was a kid (and that has been a long time ago). ;)
Arlie

Offline TheCutNShootTiredGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Grasshopper
  • Let's make some SMOKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2017, 02:48:08 PM »

I didn't wash mine before putting them in the freezer.  When you take them out of the freezer, do you let them thaw first before rinsing them, or do you dump them in a colander under running water?

I ordered a Taylor pea sheller, and once that comes in I will probably try blanching a few batches to compare. 

Thanks for all the answers!

.....When ready to cook, take from the freezer, thaw, rinse and then cook.
.......When using the Taylor Pea sheller, because you wet the peas or beans when processing, then they need to be blanched before putting them in the freezer.

Offline Gymgirl

• Sprout
  • Zone 9a, SE Houston near Hobby Airport
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2017, 02:14:25 PM »
Oxbow,
Ben says in his reply to you that he does NOT blanch...

Oxbow, I have but them in regular 1 gallon and quart size freezer bags without blanching.  In fact that is the only way I freeze them.  When they are in the gallon bags, I just slam them on the counter and they separate and just take out what I want to cook.  I have given them this way to friends and family.  The only complaint I received was why they did not get 2 gallons.  One year I had a good year and used a friend's freezer to but some extra in.   After 18 months they were still good.

I also do corn on the cobb the same way with no ill effects.

By using a vacuum sealer you should be even 1 step ahead.

Ben
230.5 sf of raised bed gardening; the "eBucket Queen" :-* ; Geobin composters; Mittleider "in-the-garden greenhouse" & PVC A-frame mini-greenhouses; compost fork with a green handle; coffee grinds & bunny berries forever; baby shampoo forever; cedar fence pickets forever, PVC hoops and hoop covers, forever! :-*

Offline setx_gardener

• Grasshopper
  • The true test of character is what one does when n
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2017, 07:30:41 AM »
Not blanched, in a pillowcase. :-) Mine don't last long enough to rot or sour!!!  ;D
35 x 45 Raised bed garden
Lumberton, TX
Zone 9

Offline Double B

• Sprout
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2017, 10:05:32 AM »
I think Curtis just hit the nail on the head.  Those that don't raise so many peas to keep for several years and eat them up in a month or two may have no need to blanch. We made bushels and bushels of peas in 2014 and are still eating them. The next year we had floods and didn't make many.

The peas that we blanched and froze in 2014 still taste fresh today. It really depends on how long you plan on keeping them.
14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere 655Z

Offline JetCat

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2017, 05:26:51 PM »
blanching stops the enzyme action (not killing anything), enzyme action in the cells of frozen vegetables will slowly cause loss of color, flavor, texture and nutrients, the higher the protein content the faster this breakdown occurs.

if you consume your peas (or any frozen veggie) within a few months of freezing blanching isn't absolutely necessary, but if you want them to keep their color/flavor/texture/nutrients long term you really should blanch them.