Author Topic: Robber in the Apiary!!!  (Read 618 times)

Online whiskydog

• Global Moderator
  • Grasshopper
  • Dallas Ga.
    • View Profile
Robber in the Apiary!!!
« on: July 14, 2017, 08:30:25 AM »
I wore my jacket and face veil and robbed the bees yesterday.. got 10 frames of capped honey and got away with only one wound in the seat of my pants..  Only had the bees since March so I think they did pretty well, looks like around two gallons of honey maybe a little more..

Sweet stuff..
If I'm not having problems,, I'm not doing it right..

Zone 7 Northwest Ga.

Online DB

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
Re: Robber in the Apiary!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2017, 08:28:09 AM »
Congratulations Whiskey! Sounds like a fair trade for only one sting.  ;D
Latimer, Mississippi
Zone 8b

Offline bordercollie

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2017, 12:34:30 PM »
Honey and homemade biscuits ! yummmm !!

Offline adrianrog

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2017, 09:18:36 PM »
A lady at church was asking where to buy local honey, do you intend to sell it?  If so, can I give her your number?

Offline crazyhorse

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2017, 01:14:28 AM »
Mr Whisky, congratulations.
I hope you enjoy the good honey.

Online whiskydog

• Global Moderator
  • Grasshopper
  • Dallas Ga.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2017, 07:31:37 AM »
Thanks Ya'll.

Adrian no we don't have enough honey for a sale.  I'm going to split with the bee keepers they helped and we used their equipment.  I have a few on the list for gifts.  Monday we split it up and will see what we have left.

Zone 7 Northwest Ga.

Offline adrianrog

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2017, 10:33:50 PM »
No problem at all.  The peas I plated a few days ago are popping up now.

Offline woodchip gardener

• Dirt Dabber
  • zone 7 - above Charlotte NC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2017, 06:12:19 PM »
hi whisky

congrats on the honey haul!

how does that work when you take all their honey?  i think i remember watching a show on keeping bees and they put some sort of sugar water in there or something to swap out for the honey.  do you have to do this too?  or since it is warm there most of the year will they have time to make more before they settle in for the season?

i would love to hear about how keeping bees works from someone who is learning/doing!

post something!  c'mon...you know ya wanna...  :)

Online whiskydog

• Global Moderator
  • Grasshopper
  • Dallas Ga.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2017, 07:56:59 PM »
WG
we got 10 pints and the bee keepers who helped and we used their equipment took 2 quarts..

I'm really new at this, so I'm learning as I go.. I think we are early enough, they should be able to store up more. We didn't take all of the honey. there should be a fall nectar flow and the bees should be able to store up enough for the winter.. I'll check them later and if I don't see much stores I'll feed them sugar water..

when I installed the package of bees I did feed them 1 to 1 sugar water until the nectar flow picked up, then they quit taking the feed.. 

bees are interesting, I tell folks I'm a bee watcher more than a keeper.. they keep themselves..

Zone 7 Northwest Ga.

Online Maggie13

• Sprout
  • built-incabinets
    • View Profile
    • built-incabinets.com
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2017, 05:27:14 AM »

Every now and then I think about getting in to keeping bees  but that is about as far as I have gone. Maybe someday I will take the plunge and become a bee watcher like you.
21' X 48' High Tunnel
Knox, New York   zone 4B

Offline woodchip gardener

• Dirt Dabber
  • zone 7 - above Charlotte NC
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2017, 07:28:38 AM »
hi whisky,

did you see any significant changes to your garden having the bees that close?  like higher % of yield?  i know bees can go far to get pollen to bring back, so wanted to know if they did any good in your yard besides the honey.

this is so interesting!
post something!  c'mon...you know ya wanna...  :)

Online GopherBroke

• Sprout
  • Half Haas Farm
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2017, 07:55:33 AM »
I have wanted to make a mason bee house an put out by the garden to see if I could get attract them into staying, but that is not high on the list, an I haven't gotten it done.  Mason bees are not a hive bee, an not aggressive, so they are easy to be around an are said to be better pollinators than honey bees. 
zone 5b Half Haas Farm
Bill
Riley, Indiana for the summer

Online Maggie13

• Sprout
  • built-incabinets
    • View Profile
    • built-incabinets.com
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2017, 08:11:53 AM »
My husband made a mason bee house for the HT in the spring.

21' X 48' High Tunnel
Knox, New York   zone 4B

Online whiskydog

• Global Moderator
  • Grasshopper
  • Dallas Ga.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2017, 09:39:22 AM »
WG

I'm not so sure the bees help the garden crops so much as fruit trees and nut trees..
they aren't native to the Americas and there are other bees that pollenate as well.

I didn't see much in the way of increase in my garden.. it wasn't pretty this summer.  Most of the things I planted were wind pollenated.  squash cukes and bee pollenated things I just didn't bother with this time.. the daughter had a good garden and was bringing in plenty for both families.  So I pretty much let mine go.. I did sow clover and buckwheat for the bees so much of my gardening area was in bee crops.

I'm getting the fields ready for fall crops now.. since things have dried out now, I'm feeling the urge to plant again..

Zone 7 Northwest Ga.

Offline tangentalstorm

• Grasshopper
  • Hillbilly Gardener, amongst many other things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2017, 11:59:10 PM »
I am fascinated by this thread... My better half used to keep bees in a former life and has expressed that we are going to be doing it in the spring when I get home (which means I don't get a say in it of course). So to try and get ahead of the bees I am going to plant fall clover in the lower field for them so next spring they will have something to work with. I am also going to plant a bunch of fruit trees but they will be too small to help the bees starting out.

WD...what kind of clover did you sow?
Crack O' Noon Farms.
In the Mountains of Old Virginia.
Proud Appalachian-American.

Online whiskydog

• Global Moderator
  • Grasshopper
  • Dallas Ga.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2017, 05:16:15 PM »
Durana, its a white clover, I sowed it last year but I didn't see any till about May here.

I had given up on it and sowed crimson clover last fall, it did well here and the bees worked it.  I like crimson here in zone 7
it dies out in May about time to start my garden and comes back again..  I sow some buckwheat around the gardens and in one small field so the bees have a little something along this time of year. it grows and blooms quick, bees seem to like it.. buckwheat seed  was cheap this spring.. 50 pounds was about 35 bucks.. the honey is harvested already so the bees will be using the buckwheat honey for themselves..

At first I wanted to get into bees and a big way, but since changed my mind, maybe 5 hives is about all I want now..  very interesting insect, I just sit and watch them for hours.. or until they invite me to leave.. :D

Zone 7 Northwest Ga.

Offline ksp313

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2017, 05:40:51 PM »
Whisky, I met a man last year that ran a business called Honey Hill Farm a few years back. He said at his height of business he had 955 hives. He's no longer in the business but still had quite a bit of equipment.

Online whiskydog

• Global Moderator
  • Grasshopper
  • Dallas Ga.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2017, 03:04:20 AM »
KSP, yes, bees have a lot of problems these days.. it isn't like back in the 60s when I was a kid, Dad had three hives here and they took care of themselves.. no problems back then with mites or the small hive beetle.  Also now days new pesticides seem to be a problem, and I believe the GMO corn crops have an effect on their larva as they are fed pollen harvested from corn crops.. These days you really have to keep an eye on the hives, and take action when needed to maintain bees.  I'm not sure I know enough to keep my hive through the winter, but if it does make it till next spring I want to work with the bees and build up more hives with it.  I'm new at it and trying to learn, sometimes it seems the bees aren't reading the same books as I am..

Zone 7 Northwest Ga.