Author Topic: I need your help/advice/information selecting a camera  (Read 171 times)

Offline crazyhorse

• Sprout
    • View Profile
I need your help/advice/information selecting a camera
« on: July 27, 2017, 01:44:26 AM »
I want to get one or two cameras for using around home in case I have  unwanted people sneaking around at night or when my wife & I are away from home.

What would be a good camera to get.
I would like to purchase a good one to start with .

Please give ANY advice you feel would help in making a good decision.
Thank you.

Offline crazyhorse

• Sprout
    • View Profile
Re: I need your help/advice/information selecting a camera
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2017, 01:50:12 AM »
Any one have any advice ?

Online Maggie13

• Sprout
  • built-incabinets
    • View Profile
    • built-incabinets.com
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2017, 06:18:15 AM »
I do not have a security camera so cannot speak for any one system.

If a trail cam would help I can recommend the "Bushnell Trophy Cam HD Aggrssor" The downside of my model is you have to retrieve the SD card or plug in at the location with your laptop to view the images and videos .They make lock boxes to prevent theft of devise but if you are worried it is a neighbor they might see where it is and would be able to avoid being recorded on it.

I know the Bushnell makes one that you can access the images wireless via your smart phone.

But the reality is a home security system is probably the way to go.
21' X 48' High Tunnel
Knox, New York   zone 4B

Online GopherBroke

• Sprout
  • Half Haas Farm
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2017, 06:20:20 AM »
Crazyhorse, Are you looking for security camera system, or a trail camera for occasional use?  I looked on Amazon at security systems as I have never looked into this before.  You can get just about anything for under $200, but I think I would go with a wireless system for easier installation.   
zone 5b Half Haas Farm
Bill
Riley, Indiana for the summer

Offline adrianrog

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2017, 11:15:09 PM »
If you are looking for a trail camera, one of the most important things is how quickly they can begin filming after they detect motion.   I have one these:  https://www.amazon.com/Stealth-Cam-No-Glo-Camera-STC-G42NG/dp/B00HMN7H04/ref=sr_1_9?s=hunting-fishing&ie=UTF8&qid=1501474292&sr=1-9&keywords=trail+camera

I was always pretty happy with it in the woods, but figured out it didn't begin filming near fast enough when I needed to catch a mailbox thief.  After doing a little research, I figured I'd buy one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_5_9?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=browning+strike+force+hd+pro&sprefix=browning+%2Caps%2C140&crid=1INM49MNZLTY8

The second most (or maybe first) is to get one that doesn't emit a red glow at night.  Neither of the above emit any light at all that the human eye can see.

Offline Zook

• Sprout
  • Zookdesign.com
    • View Profile
    • www.zookdesign.com
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2017, 01:31:48 PM »
I got a D-link wireless from Best Buy. Price determines how good of a picture you get. I have mine set up looking out of the front window of my shop so I can see if some comes up the drive to the house. Not hard to set up, and I can see live from my computer or cell phone.