Author Topic: Looking toward the future or "Return To The Future"  (Read 133 times)

Online Monroe

• Sprout
  • We are still here
    • View Profile
Looking toward the future or "Return To The Future"
« on: August 05, 2017, 05:43:33 PM »
Our discussion today was the heat as we drove into town. Jewel said she wondered how we used to make the summers. We not only talked about it on into town , but started remembering what we did back then. By 1954 we hardly ever went swimming anymore and horse back ridding had almost stopped. This picture was taken on a hot Sunday afternoon in July of 54. The park had a pavilion with a Juke box, we had been listening to music & dancing. Jewel was happy, we had made our college plans, was very much in love and knew we would always be together but hadn't really set any kind of date for getting married. I took several pictures of her that day at the park which also had a small lake, cage full of monkeys , slides and a merry-go-round called the ocean wave. We played that afternoon like two kids instead of  mature 17 and 18 year olds. I had turned 18 a few days before.
We talked about all this through dinner today and enjoyed every minute. 
Jewel & I have had a beautiful journey together

Online PawPaw gene

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
Re: Looking toward the future or "Return To The Future"
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2017, 10:05:04 PM »
Monroe, as we age memories mean more and more. I turned 73 today and remember the first time I set my eyes on my wife Linda like it was yesterday. I was 15 and she 14 at the time. It was love at first sight and I have loved her every day of my life and always will.

I want to thank you for sharing the pictures of you and Jewel as y'all make your way through life.
"gene"

Online Monroe

• Sprout
  • We are still here
    • View Profile
Re: Looking toward the future or "Return To The Future"
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2017, 10:06:18 AM »
Gene, happy birthday and congratulations for your young love which only grows stronger there's nothing like it.  We reflect back probably too much but at our age on these hot days there's not much else to do. We all probably have that one decision made way back then that put us on the road leading to where we are today. When this picture was made Jewel & I had already been over to East Texas State Teachers College checking things out & decided to start in Sept. We both had tuition money ready & would work at whatever we could find for dorm money. By the first of Sept. I changed my mind, took my money and helped pay some serious hospital bills for my little sis. What I wasn't expecting was Jewel not going because I wasn't. Right after that was when we decided to get married, work, save money & start college in the fall of 55 as a married couple. We have talked about and can't help wondering how that plan we had the day of this picture would have worked out for us.

Monroe
Jewel & I have had a beautiful journey together