Author Topic: I got called a Dumb Hillbilly...by my wife.  (Read 306 times)

Offline tangentalstorm

• Grasshopper
  • Hillbilly Gardener, amongst many other things.
    • View Profile
I got called a Dumb Hillbilly...by my wife.
« on: August 11, 2017, 10:48:22 AM »
While I am over here my woman is redoing the kitchen. after getting several quotes from kitchen redoers (whatever the hell that is) her sensibilities were offended by the prices for them to do this and she decided she is going to do it herself. *Lord give me strength*

Now if anyone thinks I am tightwad I am a pale mooncast shadow compared to my woman in that regard. I however may be a peasant but I am generally willing to pay for expertise that is outside of my capabilities and I accept that...*ahem* ..she doesn't.

anyway so she has ripped out all the cabinets and is refinishing them, putting in the floor etc..etc...She's a lovely capable woman.. but for some unknown reason she asks for my input on counter tops...she was looking at quartz but was offended by the costs, granite same story, so in conversation I asked her about formica, understand Friends, I know less than nothing about counter tops and care even less, so long as it works...When I mentioned getting pricing for Formica she told me she wasn't going to have formica in HER kitchen (Not to confuse the issue with FACT, I do most of the cooking when I am home and about 3/4 of the cleaning BUT it's HER kitchen, I'm just sayin') then she went on to rail on me about how trashy it was for me to even consider formica....so she basically called me a dumb hillbilly for thinking formica was even an option. At which point I asked her why she even bothered asking for my input if I am such a dumb hillbilly? Hell I am just the guy paying for it right?

So to make a long story longer, I ended up finding a place that will put in a black granite countertop, installation fitting and all that. for about half the amount of the quotes she had gotten... So I then informed her that I may indeed be a dumb hillbilly but at least I know how to use the internet...*SMH*...So I am in the doghouse for being such a sarcastic smartass now.. Ya know, sometimes I am glad I am in Afghanistan.

I wish she had just paid the damn contractor to do it at this point.
Crack O' Noon Farms.
In the Mountains of Old Virginia.
Proud Appalachian-American.

Online Daniel Grant

• Grasshopper
  • Richmond Hill, GA
    • View Profile
Re: I got called a Dumb Hillbilly...by my wife.
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2017, 12:19:30 PM »
First, I want to thank you for your service. Second, Sometimes the best skill a man can learn is how to convince the lady the suggestion was her's. As the saying goes even a fish would live longer if he learned when to his mouth shut. Obviously no offense meant learned from experience.
Kubota 7100, L210, Allis G, TroyBilt, Horse, Gravely, Dr. Bush mower, Tuff Bilt tractor

Online Monroe

• Sprout
  • We are still here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2017, 12:30:37 PM »
If by chance ya'll are still discussing the situation let me kick in a thought. There is formica on the market that looks exactly like marble, granite or any other look. I know your wife wouldn't want the look that I used to do. My router still has the gauge bearing and bit for cutting formica, I still have a bundle of venetian blind slats . Where I used to make the back splash & then set it in the new way is a heat roll. I would in no way try to persuade a person one way or the other but our DIL wishes now she had listened to the old man when he said "that top ya'll are having done will forever be a dish breaker"
Jewel & I have had a beautiful journey together

Online Rabbitproof

• Sprout
  • Foothills of the Smokey Mtns-heaven on earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2017, 03:36:22 PM »
Ha---my 2 cents worth here. Yes, Monroe is right----there is formica that looks exactly like granite,etc----saw some at Home Depot. My friend got beautiful (real)granite and the corners have chipped twice. Also, I did not like the reports of radiation emitting from granite----whoa!!  I like Corian(sp?)---has anyone had any bad experiences with it?I find it to be pretty and no problems----so far. Unfortunately, all hard surface counters do readily break anything dropped on them---much more than something like formica. My problem now is that I would like a new stove top and oven. Have been told by 2 builders that to remove them would destroy my countertops. Also the oven is set in so tight, my cabinets on either side may be damaged. Ugh----dilemma!! I absolutely do not want to replace countertops,and cabinets along with the stovetop and oven. Looks like I may have these appliances a looooong time!

Offline Davidx357

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2017, 05:48:22 PM »
I wish this was the worst my wife called me.

Online Maggie13

• Sprout
  • built-incabinets
    • View Profile
    • built-incabinets.com
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2017, 06:04:10 PM »
Funny I had no interest in granite or Solid surface.
I like formica in my kitchen .

My cabinets are white and when I get tired of the counter top color  we simply redo them.

I can if I choose replace my counter tops several times giving my kitchen a fresh new look for what it would cost to buy and install granite once.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 05:19:54 AM by Maggie13 »
21' X 48' High Tunnel
Knox, New York   zone 4B

Online Rabbitproof

• Sprout
  • Foothills of the Smokey Mtns-heaven on earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2017, 06:17:42 PM »
I agree, Maggie----there is now very pretty formica available. So many things today that we are told we MUST have in life!! And, of course,these things are all so expensive. I say enough is enough with all the marketing ploys...got tired of it long ago.Fads come and fads go----I read that granite is already becoming passe'. I refuse to be influenced by all the hype!!

Offline tangentalstorm

• Grasshopper
  • Hillbilly Gardener, amongst many other things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2017, 10:35:30 PM »
I wish she had just used a contractor....yeah it would have cost more but the way things are going the money we saved I am going to need for therapy after it's done....lol
Crack O' Noon Farms.
In the Mountains of Old Virginia.
Proud Appalachian-American.

Offline woodchip gardener

• Dirt Dabber
  • zone 7 - above Charlotte NC
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2017, 05:11:35 AM »
granite is too porous and high maint for me.  if i could replace the counters i have i would go quartz.  you can get it in lots of colors, it is almost maint free and can take much more abuse than granite. 

good for her though doing the project herself!  go girl!

post something!  c'mon...you know ya wanna...  :)

Offline Tazzy Turfer

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2017, 12:34:05 AM »
G'day Tanglestorm,                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          You are not alone when it comes down to it , My wife calls me things that I have to get her to spell & look them up in a dictionary , later.
   Regards Pete
Life is like a roll of toilet paper, The closer you get to the end the faster it goes, So don't waste any of it!!