Author Topic: USDA Pecan Pie Recipe  (Read 86 times)

Offline Daniel Grant

• Grasshopper
  • Richmond Hill, GA
    • View Profile
USDA Pecan Pie Recipe
« on: August 15, 2017, 02:30:27 PM »
This is a recipe for pecan pie from the 1965 edition of the Farm Journal's Complete Pie Cookbook.  I have used it for years and keep coming back to it.  My friend's claim it's the best pecan pie they have ever had.

USDA PECAN PIE

4 eggs
1 cup sugar
1/8th tsp. salt
1 1/2 c. dark corn syrup
2 T. plus 1 tsp. melted butter
1 tsp. vanilla
1 c. pecan halves (I usually put in a little more.)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Beat eggs just until blended, not frothy. Add sugar, salt and corn syrup.  Add cooled melted butter and vanilla, mixing just enough to blend.  Spread nuts in bottom of pie shell.  Pour in filling.
Place pie in oven. Reduce heat to 325 degrees, at once.  Bake 50 to 60 minutes. Makes 8 to 10 servings.

I use the rolls of Pillsbury Pie crust sheets or pre made pie crusts.  Somebody told me the Public's brand was good and flakey but I haven't tried it.
Kubota 7100, L210, Allis G, TroyBilt, Horse, Gravely, Dr. Bush mower, Tuff Bilt tractor

Offline Double B

• Sprout
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
Re: USDA Pecan Pie Recipe
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2017, 09:08:07 PM »
That really looks good Daniel. This is different from my recipe and I will have to try it. Since my blood sugar issues I have not had any sweets in eight months but may have to bend the rules. I love pecan pie.

We have a friend here who's dad passed away a week or so ago. His specialty was a buttermilk pie and he always had some to be auctioned off at local fund raisers. He never would give out the recipe but at his service, on the back of the bulletin in his shaky hand writing was the recipe for his pie.

There was a benefit that he had baked a pie for and usually they sold at the silent auction for around $35-$50. He passed away the day of the auction and the pie went for $1,250.

I would like to learn how to make homemade pie crusts. Does anyone here do that?
14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere 655Z

Offline Daniel Grant

• Grasshopper
  • Richmond Hill, GA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2017, 11:49:08 PM »
David,
I do not want to be responsible for you running up your blood sugar! This pie is excellent. I would suggest if you cannot resist making it you cut a slender piece and gift the rest to avoid the temptation of playing roulette with your blood sugar.

I would like to see the buttermilk pie recipe if you would be so kind to post it. You can post it in for friend's memory.
Kubota 7100, L210, Allis G, TroyBilt, Horse, Gravely, Dr. Bush mower, Tuff Bilt tractor

Offline Rabbitproof

• Sprout
  • Foothills of the Smokey Mtns-heaven on earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2017, 08:22:26 AM »
Double B----Now I have not tried it yet, but it is supposed to be the easiest way to make a pie crust and reportedly very good.

For a 10 inch pie crust: Mix 3 cups of flour and 1.5 tsps of salt. Separately, thoroughly mix 3/4 cups of oil(she uses canola) and 3/8 cups of milk. Combine flour and liquid mix and stir. Roll out between 2 pieces of wax paper.

I am going to try this soon to make chicken pot pie. Hope this crust turns out as well as reported.