Author Topic: I've been deprived for too long  (Read 468 times)

Offline Ragun Gardener

• Sprout
  • Lafayette La
    • View Profile
I've been deprived for too long
« on: August 17, 2017, 10:28:14 PM »
I just saw this and have to try it. It looks like a mix of crackling and pork roast and we all know "Pork Fat Rules". I'll give updates when I get to Kurt Martins slaughter house.

Mark Wiens is worth a follow on Utube.

https://youtu.be/rt1UaOBvYN8?t=401

Offline Ragun Gardener

• Sprout
  • Lafayette La
    • View Profile
Re: I've been deprived for too long
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2017, 06:42:54 PM »
I went to the slaughter house a day too late. Pig day is on Thursdays and they already processed everything so I ordered some pig knuckles for next week. I bought a roast instead and had them cut it into 5" pieces. I deboned and removed some meat so I could wrap it. I think I should've made crackling. Here's the end result of my fancy sewing job.

Offline Ragun Gardener

• Sprout
  • Lafayette La
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2017, 07:00:53 PM »
That chop stick played a big roll in sewing it up, I used it to push the twine through the skin.

Who remembers Ronco's Showtime Rotisserie? I've had this thing for at least 15 years and thought it would work great. I used it for the best chickens wings and don't know why I sent it to the storage shed. After a good cleaning and testing it's cooking good.

After 1.5 hours basting in it own fat it's already crispy and making the house smell awesome.

Offline Ragun Gardener

• Sprout
  • Lafayette La
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2017, 07:18:03 PM »
Here's some better pics.

Offline Ragun Gardener

• Sprout
  • Lafayette La
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2017, 08:30:49 PM »
Final update===It's AWESOME. I sliced it up and took pics but before eating it I sliced it thin and scraped off all the heavy fat between the skin and meat. It's a crunchy cracking with great flavor and the meat if tender and juicy. This isn't something I would eat everyday, think of it as pork candy.

I have the other half of that roast marinating stuffed with garlic for tomorrow.

Look at all that gelatinous juicy pork sitting on a crispy crust begging to be eaten.

Online GopherBroke

• Sprout
  • Half Haas Farm
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2017, 09:54:33 PM »
Do you have LifeFlight on standby to take you to the ER when your heart caves in?  They should be able to land out front of your house so they won't have to carry you a long way dude! 
zone 5b Half Haas Farm
Bill
Riley, Indiana for the summer

Offline Ragun Gardener

• Sprout
  • Lafayette La
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2017, 10:43:49 PM »
I'm only about 5 miles from the Heart Hospital of Lafayette and is rated as one of the nation's Top 50 Cardiovascular Hospitals!!!!!

I did say that I took all that extra flavor/fat off and if you've eaten Crackin here then you ate all that white jelly fat in the last pic, it's just fried hard and turned brown.

The knuckles/hocks will work better because of the thinner skin and less fat but this is some "Good Eats".

I'm thinking pork belly would work good for this method. Pork belly, garlic stuffed, wrapped in bacon served with shrimp scampi on garlic bread would be the BOMB.

Offline Zook

• Sprout
  • Zookdesign.com
    • View Profile
    • www.zookdesign.com
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2017, 10:56:45 AM »
Rob that looks awesome sir. well done.

Online Maggie13

• Sprout
  • built-incabinets
    • View Profile
    • built-incabinets.com
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2017, 02:28:35 PM »
I can almost smell it from here. I love cooking with a rotisserie.
 I had my Moms hand me down 1950's vintage Kenmore Rotisserie for about 20 years. It was really large and sat on it own stand. I used it right up until we redid the kitchen. I gave it to a friend who as far as I know may be still using it and bought a George Foreman Rotisserie.
 I wanted one that would sit on the counter top right next to the toaster because I use it often.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 05:51:27 PM by Maggie13 »
21' X 48' High Tunnel
Knox, New York   zone 4B

Offline ksp313

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2017, 03:17:43 PM »
Ragun, man that looks great! You've got some mad twine skills!

Online bigboberta

• Grasshopper
  • Making Gumbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2017, 09:09:13 AM »
I used to have a George Foreman Rotisserie, we gave it away when we moved here.  I shore miss that thing, made the tenderest  juiciest mouth watering turkey you could ask for.

Bob
Retired Firefighter.

Zone 8b.
Mahindra 3525
2.5 acres
Easleyville, LA

Offline Ragun Gardener

• Sprout
  • Lafayette La
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2017, 05:09:02 PM »
I'm loving this old rotisserie, I don't know why it was put in the shed. The pig knuckles should be here Thursday.

I cooked the other half of that roast stuffed with garlic and that thing came out great.
I cooked a roasted chicken last night and it was good.

Offline bordercollie

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2017, 08:22:44 AM »
 :)  That does look wonderful and thank you for posting those awesome pictures ! I brought my late sweet Mama's "set it and forget it"  over  last month. I have to keep it in the attic till it's needed but  am anxious to  get it out and try it.  I 'm thinking about doing a chicken. Any suggestions appreciated. :)  judy

Offline Double B

• Sprout
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2017, 10:17:42 AM »
Judy,
I have a rotisserie on my grill and we use it all the time.  It has an infrared burner and all you do is season the chicken and set it to spin slowly. Set a timer for two hours and it is done perfectly.

You can also do whole rib eyes or pork loins or just about anything.  It is an easy set it and forget it.
14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere 655Z

Offline bordercollie

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2017, 06:24:01 PM »
Thank you Double B. I gotta try it ! :)

Offline Double B

• Sprout
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2017, 10:38:20 PM »
Judy,

One thing I forgot to mention is to use some poultry twine like Rob did and tie the chicken up. If you don't, the wings will flop around and the legs and thighs may fall off as it gets close to being done.
14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere 655Z

Offline Ragun Gardener

• Sprout
  • Lafayette La
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2017, 10:07:55 AM »
I roasted a pork belly yesterday. I tried to use the oven but didn't like the way the skin was cooking so I used the Showtime and it came out nice and crispy. I had to use the basket and put the skin side out.