Author Topic: Sliced tomato has sprouting seeds  (Read 214 times)

Offline Ben

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
Sliced tomato has sprouting seeds
« on: August 20, 2017, 04:20:12 PM »
Saturday night the wife sliced up some tomatoes for supper.  I don't now why but I looked at the slices of tomato and there were some white and green specks on them.  Upon closer examination I realized that some of the seeds were actually sprouting, and pulled out one of the sprouting seeds to examine it.  The tomato was a beautiful tomato with no bruises, or injuries or rotten spots on it.  It was a beautiful tomato and was solid, not soft.  It tasted great.

I left some on a saucer to examine today.  The seedling had not grown any.  Maybe it needed the darkness to grow.

I have eaten many tomatoes during my lifetime of 75 years and just love them, but I have never seen this on any before this one.

I wanted to take a picture  of this, but it was too small to show up even on micro lens.  Was hoping it would grow a little so I could post a picture.

Have any of you had any experience like this?

Ben
Northwest La. zone 8b

Offline Daniel Grant

• Grasshopper
  • Richmond Hill, GA
    • View Profile
Re: Sliced tomato has sprouting seeds
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2017, 05:07:34 PM »
Ben,
I do not refrigerate my tomatoes after picking or purchase from the store. I leave them on the counter. I think refrigeration alters the flavor. I find seeds sprouting several times  during the year. These are in tomatoes that look like the other tomatoes on the counter and are still fresh. This does not alter the taste although it is eye catching. I think it has something to do with the sustained temperature sitting on the counter.
Kubota 7100, L210, Allis G, TroyBilt, Horse, Gravely, Dr. Bush mower, Tuff Bilt tractor

Offline JetCat

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2017, 06:58:05 PM »
It's called  vivipary, it's most often caused by over ripe tomatoes that have been kept at higher temps.

Online Boudreaux in Eunice La.

• Sprout
  • Zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2017, 12:57:51 AM »
Usually you don't see the seeds ripening in there because of the gel like substance around the seeds.

That's why there are several ways to ferment in a cup then rinse the seeds off in a very fine sieve.

It does happen from time to time >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
I'm a optimist. Pessimists think all girls are bad. The optimist hope he's right ~!~!

Click for weather forecast

Offline woodchip gardener

• Dirt Dabber
  • zone 7 - above Charlotte NC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2017, 06:31:20 AM »
hub's aunt dropped us off a zipper baggie of field peas about a day ago.  she must have had them on her counter for a bit because about 1/3 of them had the little white foot sticking out.  when we opened them to take a few out (i was going to try to plant a couple of them that had started to germinate) the smell was overwhelming.  i am not sure where she had them stored, but i think some of them had started to ferment or something.  :o  we ended up getting rid of them.   
Inch by inch, row by row
Someone bless these seeds I sow
Someone warm them from below
Till the rain comes tumblin' down
-The Garden Song