Author Topic: The old Drive-In  (Read 183 times)

Online Monroe

• Sprout
  • We are still here
    • View Profile
The old Drive-In
« on: August 21, 2017, 11:35:31 AM »
Jewel's niece called our attention to this picture. The times we did go to a picture show this was where we usually went. There is a shopping center at this location now, but back then at one of those speakers was where I slept through a movie. I had scooped chicken ---- all day and was pretty tired. When I picked Jewel up I got in on the passenger side . She parked just as the movie started, I slid over against her and went sound asleep. When this part of the story was read the teens sitting around couldn't believe it. Jewel said, "I knew what he had done all day, I let him sleep".
Jewel & I have had a beautiful journey together

Offline woodchip gardener

• Dirt Dabber
  • zone 7 - above Charlotte NC
    • View Profile
Re: The old Drive-In
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2017, 01:18:15 PM »
when we were little once a summer my aunt and uncle would take us (there were only 4 kids in my family at this point) to the circle drive in.  we would load up our pillows and blankets and pile into the back of their pickup truck (it had a top on it). They would take the truck, back it into a spot in the last row and let us lie in the back with the tailgate down.  they would unfold some lawn chairs and sit at either end of the gate.  when we were little there were speakers that you had to hook on to the side of your car on the window.  my uncle used to feed it through the side window in the cap.   the drive in is still there today!  they still do movies on the weekend nights and a flea market during the day.

i went for a movie a few years ago when i went home to visit.  there have been a few changes...now you have to tune your radio in to hear the movie.  the price structure changed too.  it used to be you saw one movie but only paid by the car full.  now you pay per person, but you get to see 2 movies.

http://www.circlefamilyfun.com/now-playing.html

Inch by inch, row by row
Someone bless these seeds I sow
Someone warm them from below
Till the rain comes tumblin' down
-The Garden Song

Offline Rabbitproof

• Sprout
  • Foothills of the Smokey Mtns-heaven on earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2017, 03:17:13 PM »
Woodchip----my experience with drive ins was verbatum to what you said only our parents were the ones who took us. Also we have a drive in here too that shows 2 movies. We went one night----it brought back lots of good memories.

Online Double B

• Sprout
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2017, 03:43:02 PM »
When I was a young married man, we lived near Daingerfield, Texas and the neighboring town of Lone Star had a drive in movie. I worked twelve hour shifts from seven to seven and my wife would get the kids ready, make hot dogs and I would race home from work. As soon as I got home, I would jump in the shower and she would load up the truck with the food, snacks and lawn chairs and off we would go.

They showed two movies. The first one was always a G rated movie so the kids could watch. By the time it was over, they were fast asleep in the truck and we would watch the other feature. They would also play two games of bingo and one game of blackout between the shows. It was a blast. Thanks for the memories Mr. Monroe!!
14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere 655Z

Offline Ben

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2017, 04:20:30 PM »
Remember the mosquito repellent that you light and it burned.  I don't recall the the brand but the sales motto was "not an ash falls on the dash".

Ben
Northwest La. zone 8b

Offline Rabbitproof

• Sprout
  • Foothills of the Smokey Mtns-heaven on earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2017, 05:19:17 PM »
Ben I had forgotten about those things---I cannot the remember the brand name.

Online GopherBroke

• Sprout
  • Half Haas Farm
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2017, 05:32:53 PM »
We had visitors from New Zealand an drive ins were never there so I took two car loads to the only drive in in SW Michigan Muskegon Heights which is only one notch above getto these days an watched until 2 AM.  The big car (Cadillac) decided it didn't want to start so I called a towtruck an he took us home about 45 miles away.  Next morning the caddy fired right up an did so until I got a car load of NZers away from town an then quite again, turns out that fuel pumps are pretty important! 
zone 5b Half Haas Farm
Bill
Riley, Indiana for the summer

Online Monroe

• Sprout
  • We are still here
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2017, 05:35:44 PM »
Ben I remember that but don't remember ever getting one. We went to the drive-ins more when Jimmy was little than we did back when we dated. Jimmy was like his Mother with imitations and he imitated a cartoon like character used at intermission time trying to get you to the snack bar. I can't spell the word like it sounded but I'll try ummbaawaagawwaaga pop corn this would go with candy, soda, ice cream, etc. there was a jungle looking cartoon character flailing his arms and jumping around hollering that word. Jimmy nearly drove us nuts doing that at home. He also could do Speedy Gonzales which wasn't quite as bad as the drive-in one.  But those were the days--I wish I could hear Jewel and Jimmy once again cutting up with each other doing characters.

Offline woodchip gardener

• Dirt Dabber
  • zone 7 - above Charlotte NC
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2017, 06:15:38 PM »
Remember the mosquito repellent that you light and it burned.  I don't recall the the brand but the sales motto was "not an ash falls on the dash".

Ben

i found this for you ben.  :)

https://youtu.be/yUDISlDkGI0
Inch by inch, row by row
Someone bless these seeds I sow
Someone warm them from below
Till the rain comes tumblin' down
-The Garden Song

Online Ragun Gardener

• Sprout
  • Lafayette La
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2017, 06:57:49 PM »
Nice find Chip.
I remember we had one and I think I saw Jaws there. I went to a few movies but I hung out at the concession stand. That's where all the girls were!!!!!

http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/36489

Offline Ben

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2017, 10:28:34 AM »

Ben

i found this for you ben.  :)

https://youtu.be/yUDISlDkGI0

Chip that is it.  Thanks for your research, good job as usual.  We will keep you on full-time.  lol

Ben
Northwest La. zone 8b

Online Monroe

• Sprout
  • We are still here
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2017, 03:19:08 PM »
One night at the Drive-In we weren't paying much attention and before we knew it we could hardly see the screen for fog. Jewel started worrying about me driving home before I even got her to the door. I promise that I would call her soon as I got there.  That fog was so thick I had to hang my head out the window & just look down at the center stripe and drive real slow. I did finally get out of the fog and was able to cut across on the old dirt road to save a little time. Dad was up, "Son call Jewel she's really sounds worried, what's happening".