Author Topic: Massey Ferguson  (Read 290 times)

Offline BarryJenkins

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
Massey Ferguson
« on: August 21, 2017, 08:35:25 PM »
Hello all! I haven't been on here in a while. Hope y'all doing good. I have a Massey Ferguson to35 gas tractor. I was wondering if anyone knew where a manual crank handle is stored on these tractors. I'm curious because I am slowly restoring it. It is setup for a manual crank because it has the spinner already attached. It seems like it should mount under the hood somewhere? Any help would be great. And if you are wondering it's a 1960 model with the Z-134 Continental engine. Thanks

Online Monroe

• Sprout
  • We are still here
    • View Profile
Re: Massey Ferguson
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2017, 09:31:20 PM »
Barry wish I could be of help, the reason for replying is that I had the pleasure of working with a Barry Jenkins in the mid 70s at Dallas. This Barry was an outstanding auto paint & body man who I heard opened his own paint & body shop after I left the company.

Monroe---who was known as Mac back in he day
Jewel & I have had a beautiful journey together

Offline BarryJenkins

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2017, 10:29:35 PM »
That's great. It wasn't me or my dad. We have the same name. However we both have done auto body work in the past. Small world! It's amazing who shares your name out there.

Online GopherBroke

• Sprout
  • Half Haas Farm
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2017, 07:25:40 AM »
Have you  tried "yesterdays tractors"?   I am sure you will find an answer over there.   
zone 5b Half Haas Farm
Bill
Riley, Indiana for the summer

Offline Zook

• Sprout
  • Zookdesign.com
    • View Profile
    • www.zookdesign.com
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2017, 08:15:04 AM »
Barry I have no clue what the answer is but would love to know once you do find out.

Online whiskydog

• Global Moderator
  • Grasshopper
  • Dallas Ga.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2017, 08:29:55 AM »
I remember those old hand cranks, but I don't recall a place to store them on the tractor.. we kept ours in the barn..
If I'm not having problems,, I'm not doing it right..

Zone 7 Northwest Ga.

Offline Ben

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2017, 10:22:55 AM »
We had a 1947 case row tractor and it was stored with spring clamps attached under the seat.

Ben
Northwest La. zone 8b

Offline woodchip gardener

• Dirt Dabber
  • zone 7 - above Charlotte NC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2017, 06:01:33 PM »
hi barry

i will look to see if i can find the crank handle location.  while i am looking i found the service manual for free online and thought you could use it. 

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1014005/Massey-Ferguson-Mf35.html#manual

i'll let you know if i have any luck on the handle thing
post something!  c'mon...you know ya wanna...  :)

Offline woodchip gardener

• Dirt Dabber
  • zone 7 - above Charlotte NC
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2017, 06:45:30 PM »
hi barry

some of the older fergusons look like they have a built in toolbox under the hood behind the radiator.  you might want to see if yours does.

other than that, not much luck on finding an operator's manual for your model.   

i did also find this link that seems to be related

http://www.yesterdaystractors.com/cgi-bin/viewit.cgi?bd=ferg&th=5069
post something!  c'mon...you know ya wanna...  :)

Offline BarryJenkins

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2017, 09:25:09 PM »
Thank you woodchip and all that have helped or replied. I'm going to be working on the tractor tomorrow so I'll take a good look under the hood for any signs of where a crank handle may go. It just seems like there should be a place because you would want to be able to start the tractor manually out in the field just in case you cut off the tractor and the battery is dead or the starter quits working. Seems like this was normal back then. This tractor starts very easily since it has a gas engine. I'm hoping to restore it to use as a utility tractor on our property and not a show tractor. I don't need to do much to it other than replace a few seals and the gauges don't work. Typical stuff. I'm the third owner of the it. The second owner had it for 2 months just to get it running well enough for him and then he decided to get a small compact with a front bucket. The original owner bought it new in 1960 and used it for hay bailing and some other utility stuff. He passed away 10 years ago and the tractor sat under a shed until a few months ago. The guy I bought it from changed all of the fluids, spark plugs and carburetor. He even changed the transmission fluid. He said it fired right up and didn't smoke at all. Even when I crank it now it doesn't smoke. The starter has been rebuilt at some point and it is sounding rough so I have a new one coming. Everything else is original except tires. No rust anywhere except the left fender has a little from where it must have been closest to the weather. The governor still works well and it still pulls great. I plan on posting a walk around video soon and I will post a link for that in a new post. I bought the tractor a week ago.  Thanks again!