Author Topic: No Sweet Potatoes--What Went Wrong?  (Read 212 times)

Offline GaTrapper

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
No Sweet Potatoes--What Went Wrong?
« on: August 22, 2017, 06:52:32 AM »
Hey Y'all,

Last year I planted six sweet potato slips just for fun and was able to harvest 6-8 gallons of sweet taters.

This year I order and plant around 30 slips. The plants got huge this year with all the rain and I was ready to load up the bed of my truck. I start digging this weekend and I probably have 6 sweet taters from 15 plants.

What is going on?
"A mans true character is defined in times of adversity, not through everyday life."
North Georgia

Offline jimmiec

• Grasshopper
  • LA (Zone 9a)
    • View Profile
Re: No Sweet Potatoes--What Went Wrong?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2017, 08:02:11 AM »
What kinds?  Curious if some types produce more than others.  How many days?   Mine will be 120 days on Sept 6 so waiting till then to check a few but probably will dig them more like Oct.  This is my 2nd year growing them too.  They sure do take up a lot of space.
OH grown
Transplanted to Lafayette, LA (Zone 9a)
Newbie (5th season) home gardener growing in raised beds annuals (generally 4'x20'), perennials, and fruit using non-mechanical, organic, and bio-intensive methods.

Offline catgrass

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2017, 09:47:23 AM »
Too early to dig?  Seems like they're ready in late September-at least that's when I start seeing them for sale on the side of the road.
Watch where you're going, not where you've been

Offline GaTrapper

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2017, 06:44:19 AM »
Planted mid-april. I was just going to pull up one to check the size of the potatoes and the first plant has nothing but real long 14+ inch roots. Pulled up another to check--same thing....etc.
"A mans true character is defined in times of adversity, not through everyday life."
North Georgia

Online GopherBroke

• Sprout
  • Half Haas Farm
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2017, 06:49:07 AM »
Could it be too much fertilizer?  Particularly N.  I learned the hard lesson with Lima beans last summer, all plant an no pods, because I side dressed after the plants got started. 
zone 5b Half Haas Farm
Bill
Riley, Indiana for the summer

Online Double B

• Sprout
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2017, 07:22:36 AM »
I think you are way to early. I planted mine last year the same time you did and harvested on October 16. I would keep peeking occasionally and had a lot longer maturity than stated. I would be patient. Unless you just poured the fertilizer to them you should be fine. We are not in "sweet potato country" or soil and I think that probably had a lot to do with it. They really came on strong at the end and made it all worthwhile. I hope yours do too.
14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere 655Z