Author Topic: Harvey and fall tomatoes  (Read 430 times)

Online Double B

• Sprout
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
Harvey and fall tomatoes
« on: August 23, 2017, 07:27:42 AM »
Fellow Gardeners,

I am in a quandary. While I am only planting a few fall tomatoes this year, they need to go in the ground now but we have a tropical storm in the Gulf of Mexico and it seems to be heading our way. If not a direct hit, the weather folks are predicting 10"-16" of rain between Friday and Monday of next week.

I have the mulch to put around them but the plants are about fifteen inches tall and need planting. My intuition says to hip a tall row up and go ahead and plant. What say you?
14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere 655Z

Offline Greg

• Grasshopper
  • Zone 5b - Pierce Colorado
    • View Profile
Re: Harvey and fall tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2017, 08:03:31 AM »
Hi Double B,

How quickly does water drain from your garden?

-greg
LS XJ2025 25hp Tractor - FEL, middle buster, row hippers and a rototiller - 1.1 acres, Pierce, Colorado

Click for weather forecast

Online Monroe

• Sprout
  • We are still here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2017, 08:13:40 AM »
hold off, I don't think you could hill high enough to clear a direct hit. When you can get back in the garden after Harvey set those plants out with a post hole digger & use dry potting soil, leave about an inch of plant showing.

Monroe
Jewel & I have had a beautiful journey together

Offline Zook

• Sprout
  • Zookdesign.com
    • View Profile
    • www.zookdesign.com
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2017, 09:15:50 AM »
I agree with Monroe.

Online Gymgirl

• Sprout
  • Zone 9a, SE Houston near Hobby Airport
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2017, 09:23:49 AM »
What Monroe said... :-*
230.5 sf of raised bed gardening; the "eBucket Queen" :-* ; Geobin composters; Mittleider "in-the-garden greenhouse" & PVC A-frame mini-greenhouses; compost fork with a green handle; coffee grinds & bunny berries forever; baby shampoo forever; cedar fence pickets forever, PVC hoops and hoop covers, forever! :-*

Online Double B

• Sprout
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2017, 08:18:44 AM »
Hi Double B,

How quickly does water drain from your garden?

-greg

Greg,

The soil is very dry right now but we live on flat ground. The soil does not dry out easily. I went ahead and tilled the ground yesterday and hipped up a row very high. Right now it looks as if the storm will hit around Corpus Christi (southwest of us)and we will be on the dirty side. Predicting the path of hurricanes is a tough job because there are so many factors but we can certainly end up with feet of rain. There are high pressure zones on each side of this and if it stalls out we could get lots of water.

Back in 1994 we got 36" of rain in three days. Tropical storms and hurricanes are a part of living on the gulf coast but it's a roll of the dice. I need to water my peas and beans today ::)
14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere 655Z

Online Ragun Gardener

• Sprout
  • Lafayette La
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2017, 09:21:10 AM »
I hope that storm moves out or dies off. It's looking like the storm we had last year, stuck in one place just dumping rain for days.

Offline PawPaw gene

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2017, 12:01:29 PM »
DD you could till up high rows and cover with plastic until after the weather has cleared. The plastic will prevent the row from packing down. After the weather passed you need to uncover the row for a few day to dry some and either dig a deep hole for each plant or dig a trench and lay the major part of the plant horizontal with only the top few inches above ground. That will give them a great start and you should have no problem making lots of tomatoes.
"gene"

Online Monroe

• Sprout
  • We are still here
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2017, 09:19:50 PM »
From what I see on the news it looks like the hurricane will come in just about where Jewel & I used to fish. That would be a few miles East of Port Aransas at Palm Harbor. I think about the forum member who lives at Victoria and wish for her safety and without any damage to her place.

Monroe
Jewel & I have had a beautiful journey together

Offline Zook

• Sprout
  • Zookdesign.com
    • View Profile
    • www.zookdesign.com
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2017, 07:20:47 PM »
BB how you guys doing over there?

Online Double B

• Sprout
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2017, 07:57:13 PM »
Not so good Zook,

It has finally stopped raining for the first time since last night. Water is eighteen inches or more deep on our entire property. Like Mike (Cut n Shoot) said on another topic, we have never seen it this bad and have experienced many hurricanes and storms.

The oldest son has water in his house and we are concerned for him and his family. We don't have water in our home yet and we are praying that the rain will stay away through the night so it can recede. There are more houses around here that have water in them than don't so we are counting our blessings.

Thanks for checking on us. We still have power and Internet so there is lots to be grateful for. Our best to all.

Double B

P.S. The news just said we have been averaging 3.7" of rain per hour. The first picture shows deer laying out on our road. They have been run out of the woods from flood waters and the second one is between my house and shop. Being on the dirty side of the storm is always a bad deal.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 08:13:57 PM by Double B »

Online Gymgirl

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2017, 09:58:45 PM »
Oh, Brent!
I'm gonna be praying that your new home is spared, and for your family and neighbors.
230.5 sf of raised bed gardening; the "eBucket Queen" :-* ; Geobin composters; Mittleider "in-the-garden greenhouse" & PVC A-frame mini-greenhouses; compost fork with a green handle; coffee grinds & bunny berries forever; baby shampoo forever; cedar fence pickets forever, PVC hoops and hoop covers, forever! :-*

Online Double B

• Sprout
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2017, 07:39:33 AM »
Thank you for your prayers, Linda. Water keeps rising and hopefully it will hit the tipping point and start receding soon.

Online Gymgirl

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2017, 05:59:36 PM »
Brent,
How're you doing?

Online Double B

• Sprout
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2017, 07:06:52 AM »
Linda,

We are good. We have literally been on this island for eight days but have been truly blessed. No water in the house or shop. We may try to go into town today if we can get out. I will talk to the National Guard stationed on our street. Because of the chemical plant evacuation, we have been told by neighbors that once a person leaves they will not let them back in. We have a back road to travel but it's still covered in water. All in all, the water has still only gone down a foot. Those fall tomatoes I wrote about and my fall starts are on the pallet table and I would have to wade two feet of water to get to them so they may be toast. Of course my garden has two feet of water on it so it doesn't really matter.

How are you feeling this morning?

Online Gymgirl

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2017, 11:37:10 AM »
Hey, Brent!  Feeling much better today!

So glad God showed your favor, and held the water back!  Now, about that "if you leave, you can't come back" order -- unfortunately it's very real.  The Mayor of Fort Bend took some real heat for issuing that same order for Sienna Plantation yesterday, but, he was holding fast.  Said the guard didn't have time to screen who was coming and going, and, in this case, they are really trying to avert looters who are desperately trying to get into the area...

Like I said before, I truly now know why I hadn't planted my fall/winter garden yet.  God had another mission for me, in disaster relief aid.  Tending to the garden would have had me focusing on the wrong thing, at this time..

NEXT UP:  Feeding the Work Crews who are gutting the homes...