Author Topic: We lived in another time  (Read 182 times)

Online Monroe

• Sprout
  • We are still here
    • View Profile
We lived in another time
« on: August 25, 2017, 08:51:52 AM »
Jewel's Mom was our Sunday School teacher, always had that old Kodak box camera handy and took lots of pictures. These pictures were dated Dec. 1951 we both would have been 15 and a Sophomore in HS. I remember Mom took an individual picture of each of us and remember that they were always on top of the chest of drawers. I didn't have drivers licenses yet but was driving any where we wanted to go by then. Yesterday there was a classmate at the coffee shop, she talked at length of the old days and about what her great grandkids were confronted with today. In 1951 Jewel & I both thought I would be going to Korea by graduation day, but we were just kids what did we know?
Jewel & I have had a beautiful journey together

Online Rabbitproof

• Sprout
  • Foothills of the Smokey Mtns-heaven on earth
    • View Profile
Re: We lived in another time
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2017, 12:21:54 PM »
Monroe---Boy, we certainly DID live in another time! I know things are not perfect in any generation but am always so grateful the 50's and 60's were so fun to grow up in. Do not think I would anywhere near enjoy being a kid today---at least there was some semblance of sanity and COMMON SENSE back then. I am forever grateful for the time of my childhood.

Online Monroe

• Sprout
  • We are still here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2017, 07:36:46 PM »
Rabbit at the time of these pictures Jewel & I were still best friends but our feelings for each other had grown to a  stronger level. One thing about teens today I wonder about, do they really talk to each other face to face or just thumb to thumb. We started talking to each other when we first met, and still do. There was one of her cousins about then that really started rubbing me the wrong way. He was one of those kind that wasn't to be ignored but I would never have done anything that would have upset the family. I never said a word to Jewel about my feelings, but out of the blue one day she told him he was just about to jump in way over his head. Her Dad sent him packing a few days later. Jewel always knew and sometimes even now I still wonder how she always could read me like she does. 

Offline MikeM

• Grasshopper
  • Used to be MikeCHS
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2017, 08:10:42 PM »
I imagine every generation says that the current one won't make it.  I'm sure they will but I'm not sure that anyone will like the result.

Thanks for sharing more memories Monroe.
Shepherds Hill Farm - Zone 7a
L3200 Kubota with loader and box blade. Husqvarna rear tine tiller
19 acres in southern Middle TN

Offline crazyhorse

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2017, 01:57:06 AM »
Mr Mike , I agree.

Mr Monroe , thank you sir for posting this.
It brings back memories from long ago.

I hope you keep posting the good stories/history/photos and information.
I enjoy them.

Online Monroe

• Sprout
  • We are still here
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2017, 09:52:17 PM »
Thank ya'll , we all do have good memories. In those two individual pictures I'm standing to the left of Jewel thinking I should  be holding her hand. Those church steps behind Jewel hold precious memories of getting off the horse & sit there and talk. I suppose that's where we really started getting to know one another. It is good that your girl's Dad really knows you--after I turned 16 & bought my truck I picked Jewel up and we went to a party at a friends house, after the party was over we got about half way back to her house & I had a rear tire go flat. As hard as I tried I couldn't bust but a couple of the lug nuts off. We walked back up the road where there was a light still on, I explained the problem and the fellow went back with us & finally with a cheater bar he had we changed that tire. I saw the light on & Jewel's Dad sitting by the window, I wasn't going to just let her out & leave so I went in & started telling him what happened, finally he said , Mon I had a cramp hit me in the leg & had to get up. Jewel said when I left he laughed & said that boy's alright.