Author Topic: Hurricane Harvey Folks Check In  (Read 1213 times)

Online bordercollie

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
Hurricane Harvey Folks Check In
« on: August 25, 2017, 08:57:07 AM »
 Everyone in the path of Harvey please check in and let us know you are safe.  Gymgirl , I know you are  down there and others as well.
 My nephew and his wife live and work  in Houston  and are prepared they say... judy

Offline catgrass

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
Re: Hurricane Harvey Folks Check In
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2017, 09:52:04 AM »
I'm SW La., Lake Charles area.  Lower Cameron Parish has been given evacuation orders-we are expecting lots and lots of rain, and the ground is already saturated, since it has rained every frickin day for 3 weeks!  We're expecting flooding in areas, and as far as the hurricane itself-still too early to tell.  Not looking forward to this!
Watch where you're going, not where you've been

Offline Ben

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2017, 10:27:22 AM »
My BIL lives in NW Houston.  i spoke with him around 9:30am this morning.  He said he was already getting rain showers.  He is preparing to stay.  He expects several days of rain and possibility of being without electricity.

Be safe all, and good luck

Poor fall gardens!!!!

Ben
Northwest La. zone 8b

Online Double B

• Sprout
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2017, 11:31:44 AM »
It started in raining here around 8:30 this morning and hasn't let up. With that said, so far it is just a slow steady rain and not pounding down. The ground was very dry and has soaked up most of it so far but that will end soon enough. We are about thirty miles east of Houston. Hoping for the best for everyone involved.

Double B
14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere 655Z

Offline Rabbitproof

• Sprout
  • Foothills of the Smokey Mtns-heaven on earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2017, 12:13:52 PM »
My brother and his wife live in Kingwood Tx-----NE Houston. The forecast I just read says rain and wind for 6 days----100% chance!! My husband's brother lives in an apt closer in to Houston by himself and is confined to a wheelchair, so that is a worry for us. Praying for all the folks that will be affected by Harvey!

Offline catgrass

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2017, 12:37:40 PM »
latest weather update here says at THIS time, our winds should only be gusty to 45 mph, but lots of rain.  Everything is already saturated, so I expect trees to topple because the ground is so wet, so that means power outages and maybe some roads blocked.  Please, Lord, not another RITA!  I pray for those in Corpus Christi area-that's a strong one.  No rain here yet at 12:40 pm, but very threatening.
 :-\
Watch where you're going, not where you've been

Online Monroe

• Sprout
  • We are still here
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2017, 02:20:06 PM »
we have a weather man on our favorite channel that jumps around and rushes his words like a kid needing to go to the toilet and spends too much time trying to tell us the difference between a cat 2 and a cat 3 and why, but in between jumps it looks like Harvey will make landfall between Port Aransas and Rockport. That is where Jewel & I used to  go fishing, the marina and RV park is called Palm Harbor, a beautiful place with some elaborate houses with lots of glass right on the water frontage. There is a forum member at Victoria, we certainly wish for her the best outcome.

Monroe 
Jewel & I have had a beautiful journey together

Offline Maggie13

• Sprout
  • built-incabinets
    • View Profile
    • built-incabinets.com
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2017, 07:06:09 PM »
Stay safe everyone!
21' X 48' High Tunnel
Knox, New York   zone 4B

Offline Vince6424

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2017, 07:28:18 PM »
Looks nasty, be careful fellow forum folks..
1/2 acre bush block in the Perth Hills, Australia

Online Ragun Gardener

• Sprout
  • Lafayette La
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2017, 11:07:39 PM »

Offline crazyhorse

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2017, 12:23:32 AM »
Lord, I pray for everyone's safety.
Please , please stay safe.

Offline Texasguineaman

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2017, 05:14:57 AM »
Hey!! Good morning everyone. Haven't been on in a while. Getting a lot of rain right now waiting on daylight to see how much we've had. They're saying maybe 40" over the next few days. Some wind but not bad right now. Hope they're wrong about rainfall amounts. I live halfway between Houston and San Antonio off I-10. When daylight comes got to check on my 87 laying hens to see if they are ok. Hope everyone in Harvey's path is ok. Melvin

Offline Maggie13

• Sprout
  • built-incabinets
    • View Profile
    • built-incabinets.com
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2017, 06:06:22 AM »
Check out this wind map, it has to load but it's fast. https://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/surface/level/orthographic=-93.56,31.24,1306

Scary Sight seeing Harvey's power but VERY cool map!

Thanks for checking in Texasguineaman I hope your birds are ok and you,your
 family,friends and neighbors stay safe.
21' X 48' High Tunnel
Knox, New York   zone 4B

Online tangentalstorm

• Grasshopper
  • Hillbilly Gardener, amongst many other things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2017, 11:23:07 AM »
Just checked on my sister in Mesquite she says it's just cool and cloudy right now...of course Mesquite is a fair piece from Houston....all those in Texas please take care...
Crack O' Noon Farms.
In the Mountains of Old Virginia.
Proud Appalachian-American.

Online Monroe

• Sprout
  • We are still here
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2017, 12:52:55 PM »
Harvey hit at Jewel's and My favorite Tx coast place to go. There was a large interest in art and had a very nice art gallery we would visit every time we went. Once we were invited to the home of a sculptor for a private showing of his works, this old gentleman was in his 90s and was ill when we got there, but a very nice lady invited us in, took us to the room where his works were & said stay as long as you like. We pulled our travel trailer down with the little boat on the truck and tuned everything out except fishing, eating out , and visiting any where from a couple of weeks to a month. I show some pictures I grouped together, there is the Fulton Mansion and from what I can see on the news Harvey came in just about there. We have many fond memories of all that area.

Monroe

Jewel & I have had a beautiful journey together

Offline woodchip gardener

• Dirt Dabber
  • zone 7 - above Charlotte NC
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2017, 04:57:06 PM »
i spoke to my aunt earlier today in san antonio.  she said the wind was not bad there and she was just due some rain for about the next week.  she said they don't get as much there because they are farther into texas.  i was relieved because they are both older and her husband has late stage parkinsons.  it would be difficult for her to have to leave.

i called my brother in Bastrop.  He works in Austin and got to leave work at noon today because the power went out at their shop.  he did get some standing water over by the austin airport on the drive home. he said they are due for about a foot of rain over the next few days.  His back yard is starting to collect water, but on the far end where it is a lower slope.  He said his house should not flood since it is up grade and built about a foot off ground.  He did mention that several of the folks in his area were getting a lot of run off and pooling already since they had not had rain before this event and the ground was so hard when it started to come down.  he said they should be fine and they are just settled in until monday.
Inch by inch, row by row
Someone bless these seeds I sow
Someone warm them from below
Till the rain comes tumblin' down
-The Garden Song

Offline SpringTxGardener

• Grasshopper
  • Located between Spring and The Woodlands Texas, 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2017, 05:46:42 PM »
I came through the storm fine last night.    I'm located about 25-30 miles north of Houston and we have had some pretty strong wind and rain but the water is draining off pretty well.    So far I have had 6" of rain and we are expected to get several more inches over the next several days.    I think the Houston area has fared real well so far, the key is going to be how long the system hangs around dumping rain.     I'm hoping Gymgirl and DoubleB reports in soon.
Arlie

Offline Texasguineaman

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2017, 09:47:39 PM »
Update: As of 8:00p.m. tonight I've had 12 inches in 27 hours. It's bad around here everyone is getting hammered with the rain. Please keep Texas in y'alls prayers. Thank you. Melvin

Offline agragarden

• Grasshopper
  • Zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2017, 06:06:45 AM »
   setex-gardener lives in Lumberton, Tex. Hope he is ok. Looks like he is getting hammered on the map.

Rick

Online Double B

• Sprout
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2017, 08:55:49 AM »
Well.... it has been a long and rainy night here but so far we are dry in our home and shop. The garden is a complete loss but that is a small sacrifice compared to the way it could be. Many around us are not as fortunate and already have a foot or more water in their homes. Roads are flooded out and high water rescues are taking hours to get to people. My oldest grandson in an EMT/ paramedic and this is his third straight day (72 hours) of duty. There is historic flooding about to take place surpassing the 500 year flood plain. Yesterday we had around nine inches of rain and then it poured down again all night so possibly 15-20" total. We are hoping it will let up later today but the rain is not supposed to end until Wednesday or Thursday. Here are a few pictures I took just minutes ago.
14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere 655Z