Author Topic: Hurricane Harvey Folks Check In  (Read 1561 times)

Online TheCutNShootTiredGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Grasshopper
  • Let's make some SMOKE
    • View Profile
Re: Hurricane Harvey Folks Check In
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2017, 09:17:21 AM »
.....It is wet here in Cut and Shoot, Texas. We were sandwiched in between bans of rain most of yesterday and had rain but off and on. As Harvey moved to the East, we fell right in the line of constant bans of rain. Light to heavy rains all night and this morning. I was born in Houston 68 years ago and have experienced hurricanes, tornadoes and flood waters first hand because of living there for 21 years and commuting to and all around Houston for 47 years because of my occupation. This will go down as one of the most catastrophic events of my lifetime, so far. We have experienced 23 inches of rain so far, here in our City and are expecting much more. We have some water over the roads in low lying places and expect Caney and McRay and Peach Creeks to over flow their banks. That is and was expected. Caney and McRay Creeks border my property and the Creek bottom land always floods. We are and will not be in harms way because of the flooding because my home is not in the Flood plan. My Daughter and SIL live on the other side of the Creeks and could experience some flooding over the streets in their new subdivision  but their new home is at a higher elevation. There is going to be many people with flooded homes, cars and businesses. They will have lost everything. My Parents home flooded back in 1979 so I have experience their shock and the replace and rebuild situation. A lot of people have experienced the same situation over the years but THIS event is so wide spread. Harris County, where Houston is located, has experienced 650 billion gallons of accumulated rain water so far. Surrounding Counties have experienced similar or higher amounts. I have Family and Friends in Harms way and can only help by reassuring them by phone and Praying for their safety. Please Pray for All that are in Harms way and their Family and Friends that can't get to them to help.

Offline woodchip gardener

• Dirt Dabber
  • zone 7 - above Charlotte NC
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2017, 12:09:24 PM »
i will say a prayer for all of you and your families.  be safe. 
Inch by inch, row by row
Someone bless these seeds I sow
Someone warm them from below
Till the rain comes tumblin' down
-The Garden Song

Online Rabbitproof

• Sprout
  • Foothills of the Smokey Mtns-heaven on earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2017, 12:29:02 PM »
Well, cannot get my brother, or my brother in law to answer emails or return phone calls so starting to get a little concerned. However, my brother in law is in a more impacted area of Houston so really hope he calls soon. Waiting is not fun!!

Online SpringTxGardener

• Grasshopper
  • Located between Spring and The Woodlands Texas, 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2017, 07:29:31 PM »
I have had 14 inches of rain today and it's still raining, that's on top of the 8.7 inches yesterday.    Where I live is still in pretty good shape but if the rain continues, it's going to turn bad pretty quickly.     Sure hope it lets up tomorrow.     If anyone has a way to contact Gymgirl, please check on her.    I believe she lives close to Hobby Airport and it looks like everything in that area is flooded.
Arlie

Offline Double B

• Sprout
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2017, 07:59:02 PM »
She is okay Arlie and posted on another thread. I hope your water goes down and maybe the rain will hold off.
14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere 655Z

Offline edward361

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2017, 07:53:36 AM »
well from Friday night to this morning at 7 am we have 23.5 in,here in Moulton Tx. just 10 miles north of Shiner tx. and it's still raining.

Online Monroe

• Sprout
  • We are still here
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2017, 09:48:31 AM »
there was a time in my life that I could see a situation and see where a bad situation could be made a little better. as I watch the news it appears that if rubber rafts could be dropped in that most of the people probably have enough sense how to use one, but what do I know.

Monroe
Jewel & I have had a beautiful journey together

Online bobcatgardener

• Grasshopper
  • Always starting more than I should! But keeps me m
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2017, 10:46:40 AM »
Rain starting to come down here in Erath. About 2 inches an hour for the last couple hours according to the rain gauge. If anyone on here from around the erath / Lafayette area needs help lifting or moving things please give me a call. I will be more than glad to help.

Danny

Online bordercollie

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2017, 08:12:59 PM »
My nephew was called in to " his " hospital to help take in the patients from another flooded hospital that has been evacuated  . His house is still dry with electricity on mostly, with some outages. but there was water in between. My niece in law will be picked up by a  "large"  truck and taken to the hospital where she works in the morning..
 There is talk of opening a dam to prevent it from breaching and this will flood more people that are dry as of now. There is also little bit of "Orleans" going on  as food dwindles  in some areas ...

Take notice !This should put all of us in  a preparedness mode no matter where you live. You need more than  a meager few days worth of necessities.  Do it.. now... 

Online Rabbitproof

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2017, 05:04:52 AM »
Well, got up at 4am and there was an email from my brother saying both his homes were flooding---he sent the email at 2am Houston time. Also had an email from a friend who said they had to be rescued---5 ft of water in his house and rising when they got out. Tried to call my brother and text at 5am but no answer. Talked to Bobby's brother yesterday afternoon and he was fine---at that time. Have not heard from him since but see on the tv his area is flooding in spots. This is a nightmare scenario for Houstonians !! God help them all.

Offline Double B

• Sprout
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2017, 05:54:48 AM »
By the grace of God, we don't have water in our home. I can't be sure that will be the case if it doesn't stop raining soon. Today is the fifth straight day of pouring rain. I have no doubt that we are around 50"+ out here. The National Guard showed up on our road yesterday evening and started rescuing folks from their flooding homes. We are praying that the storm will move north quicker than expected and move fast so none of you good folks in other areas have to endure this type of disaster. I will try and get a few pictures once the sun comes up.

In 1994 we had 36" in three days when a tropical storm sat on top of us but I have never seen it rain this hard for this long. Rabbitproof, I am terribly sorry to hear about your brothers homes and pray that they will be safe. There is a tremendous support around our area with people helping people. Boats running everywhere rescuing folks but the loss of homes and property will be astronomical. Please keep praying because we need it and greatly appreciate it!

All our best,
Double B
14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere 655Z

Online Rabbitproof

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2017, 06:30:26 AM »
Thank you , Double B----yes we are praying for all impacted by Harvey. My brother and family are in his neighbors home on the 2nd story floor-----their own homes are one story. Water was waist high when they left home----and still rising.This is all just so awful for everyone. Hope you stay safe....and dry!!!

Online bordercollie

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2017, 09:01:26 AM »
Ohh my ! Ya'll  good folks are in my prayers .  judy

Offline Double B

• Sprout
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2017, 09:41:47 AM »
Here are a couple of pictures I just took. Once again, we are so very happy that water has not entered our home because we have so many friends that are flooded.

Online Ragun Gardener

• Sprout
  • Lafayette La
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2017, 09:49:55 AM »
TWC said they opened the dams in Houston, that will probably flood more homes down stream.

Has anybody heard from GG/Linda since she posted?

Online Ragun Gardener

• Sprout
  • Lafayette La
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2017, 09:51:47 AM »
That's a little close, I hope it doesn't get any higher.

Online Ragun Gardener

• Sprout
  • Lafayette La
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2017, 11:02:40 AM »
Here's the website to see if assistance is available. You can also contact RedCross.
Enter your address and go from there. I'm sure it's too early but it shouldn't be too long.
https://www.disasterassistance.gov/

Offline Double B

• Sprout
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2017, 11:30:57 AM »
An airboat just came up our road and picked up some folks and headed back south. They are here starting to rescue more folks now.

Online Rabbitproof

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2017, 04:53:43 PM »
Just heard from my brother in law who lives near downtown Houston. He said he is high and dry in his apt but many areas around him flooding and being evacuated. Am so grateful for that but truly aghast at what everyone is going through.

Offline Double B

• Sprout
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2017, 08:22:50 PM »
Glad for the good report Rabbitproof. We have a good news; bad news scenario now.

The rain stopped and we actually saw a sunset. That was the good part. The bad part is that on our road two miles south of here there is a chemical plant that has a problem and it looks really bad. They make organic peroxides that much be stored under 40 degrees or they become unstable and explode. They lost power during the storm and their backup generators have failed. They have evacuated the plant and everyone within a mile and a half of the plant. Hopefully we won't hear a big boom tonight.

Other good news is that we have a strong north wind that will blow any chemicals south instead of our way up here. Sure hope the water starts going down tonight  ::)