Author Topic: Hurricane Harvey Folks Check In  (Read 1561 times)

Online bordercollie

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
Re: Hurricane Harvey Folks Check In
« Reply #40 on: August 29, 2017, 09:20:02 PM »
Rabbitproof, I'm glad to hear your folks are good- I was concerned. Double B, I wish you could get farther  away . I heard and read about the plant and don't like what I heard.. A toxic rail car derailed near us years ago and we had to leave..when it blew up that section of the sky was orange with fire.  Everyone, be sure to keep your doors locked and "protected".The looting may start before long. I've heard some bad stuff is under wraps and some special folks are trying to help control it... I 'll keep ya'll in my continued prayers .  judy

Offline Double B

• Sprout
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2017, 09:43:03 AM »
Thank you for your prayers everyone,

While these have been trying times, we are so much fortunate than thousands for folks. Our daughter was just notified that the power was restored during the night and they are cooling the volatile chemicals back off. Hopefully they will succeed and we will have no fires or explosions.

My neighbors south of us have not been allowed to return home yet and are waiting to hear when they can. Our water went down about two inches during the night and that's the best news of all. It is estimated that the storm dumped nine trillion gallons of water on our area so runoff is going to take some time. Once again, thank each of you for your prayers!!

Double B
14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere 655Z

Online Rabbitproof

• Sprout
  • Foothills of the Smokey Mtns-heaven on earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2017, 10:08:52 AM »
Thank you,Judy. I am walking around here like a zombie----so stressful to be so far away----info is spotty. Double B....wow, am so glad they got the power back on at the plant. No more disasters on top of the ones already in effect! God bless you all.

Online SpringTxGardener

• Grasshopper
  • Located between Spring and The Woodlands Texas, 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 30, 2017, 03:48:46 PM »
I am very fortunate in that my home did not flood.   It sure came close.     I don't have electricity or water but I have plenty of drinking water.   

I also own a house in Houston that I'm sure is full of water but it is going to be probably 10 days or so before the roads are clear enough to go check on it.   Like I said earlier, I am very fortunate.    I'm hoping Gymgirl  he is in when she can.

Best I can tell we have had 47 Inches of Rain from last Friday thru yesterday.
Arlie

Online bordercollie

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 30, 2017, 06:38:43 PM »
Thank you for your prayers everyone,

While these have been trying times, we are so much fortunate than thousands for folks. Our daughter was just notified that the power was restored during the night and they are cooling the volatile chemicals back off. Hopefully they will succeed and we will have no fires or explosions.

My neighbors south of us have not been allowed to return home yet and are waiting to hear when they can. Our water went down about two inches during the night and that's the best news of all. It is estimated that the storm dumped nine trillion gallons of water on our area so runoff is going to take some time. Once again, thank each of you for your prayers!!

Double B
  Double B, I just read about still threatening conditions at the plant close to you..  Have you been given an update ? This sounds very serious !Here's a link from another site called Watcher Forum...please read.   judy
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-08-30/arkema-ceo-no-way-prevent-imminent-explosion-flooded-texas-chemical-plant

Online Rabbitproof

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 30, 2017, 07:07:35 PM »
OMGOSH that sounds bad!! Double B can you leave the vicinity for awhile???

Offline Double B

• Sprout
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 31, 2017, 01:19:12 AM »
The last update that the company issued has been taken down off their website. I would guess for liability reasons. It is imminent that the product will burn or explode. I am not sure who in their company made the press release but it didn't take long to get taken down.

It is very strange that all the sudden, we have no phone service here. All the cell towers are out and thankfully we still have wi-if. We have never had any problem with cell service here before. We are outside the blast radius of the plant and feel we are safe based on conversations we have had with past plant managers who retired from there. Supposedly the reaction should happen in the next few days.

I am told that if we leave here we will not be allowed back in so I am hesitant to leave. Our friends that have been evacuated by the National Guard will not be allowed back in their home for some time so for now we are staying here. Thank you all for your prayers and concerns.

Double B
14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere 655Z

Offline Double B

• Sprout
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 31, 2017, 03:59:54 AM »
The first small explosion has happened at the plant down the road. One of my neighbors took pictures from his house and is being interviewed by phone form a local news station. He describes it as popping sounds and seeing flames above the tree line. Officials with the chemical company have expected this and we are all hoping the water will go down so they can contain what's left of it.

Online bordercollie

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 31, 2017, 11:27:50 AM »
Uh ohhh Double B..  Is this accurate ?   Let us know that you are safe.  judy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=23&v=aOesDXaVf0E

Offline Double B

• Sprout
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 31, 2017, 01:15:07 PM »
That is somewhat sensationalized Judy,

There are nine cylinders stored in nine separate 18 wheeler refrigerated trailers. Liquid nitrogen has been keeping them cool. This is not ammonia like many are calling it, it is an organic peroxide. It is very stable as long as it is kept cold. Once it warms it, it destabilizes and becomes volatile.

With the hurricane coming last week, the workers safely shut down the plant. The electricity went out as it began to flood and they called for two large generators which failed after the water got six feet deep. There was a skeleton crew of eleven men that stayed and moved these cylinders into separate reefers to keep them cold.

Finally it became inevitable that no one could stay so the skeleton crew was evacuated by boats. The cylinders have pressure relief valves that bleed of gas temporarily as they warm up and eventually they blow up. So far, two of the nine have blown up.

My oldest grandson is an emt/paramedic and was close down the road to the first explosion. The fire Marshall said the fumes were like standing over a camp fire. He should have been up there next to my grandson. Several paramedics and sheriff deputies were taken to the hospital and they had to remove their clothes outside and be decontaminated before coming in to be treated. He has been released and is home now and we pray he will not have any adverse effects.

The National Guard has moved back outside my driveway along with a deputy and I went out to talk with them and offer lunch. One of my neighbors rolled up with fresh hamburgers and ll the fixings along with a coolor full of drinks and one of the guardsman nearly teared  up. He said he had never been to a place where they were treated so kind. I said, "welcome to Crosby". We will get through this and continue to praise God for our good fortune. We nearly feel guilty to not have much damage as the carnage is unbelievable.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 01:17:32 PM by Double B »

Online bordercollie

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 31, 2017, 01:51:37 PM »
Thank you Double B. I was hoping that was the case.
 That was really nice of them to fix food for the  Nat Guard folks and deputies . :) They are under a lot of pressure too. So much stress and demands put on them.
 Ya'll be safe and have a good rest of the week . :)   judy

Online Rabbitproof

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 31, 2017, 06:03:48 PM »
Double B....Saw the authorities mentioning the situation at Crosby on Fox News. So glad they said it would be a non toxic situation!!  Talked to my sister in law in Kingwood this morning. She says she is now a "minimalist"!! They(and daughter) got out with basically the clothes on their back. My brother went back to the homes today and said everything in both had to just go to the dump. He said everything that would float was floating in the water, and everything else was submerged.  Also 3 cars and a new RV ruined. Sooooo.....start from scratch from here on. They have rented a furnished condo for 10 months, so at least they have a reachable interim address. As soon as the water recedes they will start cleaning up. They have been warned about fire ants and snakes---you can't go reaching into cabinets, walking into closets or dark places without looking first. My brother has a foot amputation and uses a prosthesis, had a hip replacement  fairly recently, and had a broken femur recently which is all bolted together----I just pray he does not slip and break the femur again!! Well, God be with them and all the folks who are going through this awful disaster.

Offline Double B

• Sprout
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 31, 2017, 10:13:29 PM »
Rabbitproof,

It is not really a non toxic situation. That's what they are telling folks but that is not the truth. Look at "The Daily Beast" and you can see that the company has already been fined with eight serious safety violations on this incident. OSHA had recently shut them down not too long in the past for other violations so I have some serious doubts if they will be allowed to continue to operate this plant.

The Wall Street Journal also exposed some risk that the company had to submit to the Feds pertaining to a worst case scenario for the chemicals they have on site. The plant stores over 33 Tons of anhydrous sulphuric dioxide on site and this could be much worse than has been reported. We are hoping and praying things don't turn into that and especially thankful for a wind out of the north. Helicopters continue to circle and we get calls to see if we have heard the latest boom?  Hopefully this will be over sooner than later,

Double B

Online Rabbitproof

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 01, 2017, 06:44:01 AM »
Double B---Should have figured the news would hide the truth!! So sorry to hear of this situation. Take care and hope it somehow works out without  harmful results.

Online bordercollie

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 01, 2017, 08:56:24 AM »
Rabbitproof, I hate hearing that bad update about your family but at least they are safe themselves. I know that is is very stressful losing memories  and non replaceable items. So very sad. I'll keep everyone in my heartfelt prayers there.
 Double B , Thank you for filling us in. The  typical news is not believable anymore and I have little faith in it . It is good getting the real facts from you. I do hope ya'll are doing ok also.   Ya'll Texans and s Louisianians  are all in my prayers for strength  through this.   judy

Online Rabbitproof

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 01, 2017, 10:14:07 AM »
Thank you, Judy. They have already hired  contractors to go in and and demo and check the electrical,etc. too so the a/c can be running as soon as possible-----mold can be a huge problem in the humidity of Houston. I am sure the contractors are all booked to the gills so hope he got high up on the list !! He said all has to be done right----everything has to be carefully documented by contractors for Fema and the insurance company. He did video both homes and contents before the flood. His phone got wet getting into the boat and never could dry it out so hope he can recover the video's.

Offline Double B

• Sprout
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 04, 2017, 08:22:12 AM »
Well for all intensive purposes the storm and chemical plant aftermath is over for us except for the clean up. Yesterday afternoon Arkema had the remaining six trailers detonated and it was a series of loud booms. There were choppers and planes some even flying through the black smoke taking air quality samples. During the night, I received a voicemail that the site was secure and the evacuation order was lifted.

I know that the state trooper that has been sitting out in front of my house was as happy as anyone. We can come and go as we please once again. I have friends that can be allowed back into their flooded homes and we will do our best to lend them a helping hand. Once again, thank each of you for your prayers as we count our blessings through this time. Please continue to pray for Curtis and other members as many will just begin their process through this mess. Lastly, please pray that this huge hurricane Irma turns north and heads up out in the Atlantic so nobody will have to endure it now.

All my best,
Double B

Online Rabbitproof

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 04, 2017, 09:35:41 AM »
Double B....So glad the scare is over!!  God give y'all strength for  the clean up. My brother and his wife have been spending the past 3 days  clearing out the rubble, furniture, appliances,etc from their homes----he sent a picture of the huge piles of stuff at the curb. Painful to see. What a mess all this has been for everyone. Am just so grateful for the rescues and lives saved. Will be praying for everyone involved ----for a long, long time.

Online bordercollie

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 04, 2017, 10:07:16 PM »
Thank you for the update Double B and Rabbitproof. I've been thinking about you DB as I heard the news of the detonation,  and you  Rabbitproof as I thought of your family and the many others  undergoing such gut wrenching tasks  .  Ya'll are all in my prayers  for strength to get through this  and the tough, stressful days ahead.