Author Topic: TROPICAL STORM HARVEY  (Read 1214 times)

Online Gymgirl

• Sprout
  • Zone 9a, SE Houston near Hobby Airport
    • View Profile
TROPICAL STORM HARVEY
« on: August 27, 2017, 07:21:52 AM »
I just walked outside to survey the flood situation in my neighborhood.  Water is ponding at the corner, and either the drain is plugged up, or, there's just no where for all the water that keeps falling to go.

I have a very curious question for the gardeners.  Could my raised bed garden possibly spare my home from flooding?

Sounds cooky, I know, but, something inside is telling me that there should be waaaaay more water in my yard.  But, my patio isn't even ponding, and it can fill up like a bathtub when the rain falls too hard, too fast, in a normal rain event.  It's been dumping BUCKETS on us all night long, and there's not even 1" on the patio.

I did clear all my huge cattle molasses tubs and potted plants off the patio, Friday, and laid a sheet of greenhouse plastic against the sliding door, to make a dam.  It's only a short step up from the patio into the den, and there have been occasions to hold my breath, wondering if the water was gonna come over the sill.  I used all the square, stepping stone pavers I had to butt the plastic against the patio on two sides, then set potted plants on top of the pavers.  Then, I consolidated all the potting mixes into the molasses tubs, and strategically placed them beneath where there are leaks in the patio cover.  I also use bags and bags of dry shredder paper as "sandbags".  I figured the all this material and the planters would soak up some of the water, and give me a chance to bail the patio, if push came to shove.  So far, so good.  Additionally, the two 3 cu ft. Geobins, the 90-gallon trashcan compost vessels and all the bags of dried leaves may be helping soak up the water too.

And now, I'm wondering if maybe, just maybe, my very dry raised beds are soaking up the tropical storm rainwater that should have me pacing by now?  Wouldn't that be something, though?  To be saved by the raised bed veggie garden!!!

Well, I'm thanking God, in advance, for providing a way out!

Stay safe, ya'll!  Will post as I can, while there's still power!

God Bless Texas, please, thru the next four days of this tremendous rainfall event!!!
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 07:28:44 AM by Gymgirl »
230.5 sf of raised bed gardening; the "eBucket Queen" :-* ; Geobin composters; Mittleider "in-the-garden greenhouse" & PVC A-frame mini-greenhouses; compost fork with a green handle; coffee grinds & bunny berries forever; baby shampoo forever; cedar fence pickets forever, PVC hoops and hoop covers, forever! :-*

Offline woodchip gardener

• Dirt Dabber
  • zone 7 - above Charlotte NC
    • View Profile
Re: TROPICAL STORM HARVEY
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2017, 07:45:00 AM »
gymgirl

i am relieved to read you are ok.  stay safe  :)

i would think the raised beds would soak up a good bit of water, but i am not sure it would be what is sparing your patio as they do also tend to flood once they reach the point of saturation. 

if anything is going to suck up tons of water, it would be all the wood chips you spread in the side yard.  you would be amazed at how much water wood chips can hold. 
Inch by inch, row by row
Someone bless these seeds I sow
Someone warm them from below
Till the rain comes tumblin' down
-The Garden Song

Online Monroe

• Sprout
  • We are still here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2017, 07:46:51 AM »
                "Never stop questioning---never lose a Holy curiosity

Einstein

hang in there girl with faith and hope, also know we, who are on high ground, are with you

Monroe
Jewel & I have had a beautiful journey together

Offline Rabbitproof

• Sprout
  • Foothills of the Smokey Mtns-heaven on earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2017, 08:35:42 AM »
Gymgirl...So glad you are not having problems----wonderful to hear! Will call my brother in NE Houston today to get an update from him. He has 2 homes side by side in a gated neighborhood in Kingwood----so double the worry so far as structures go.!! We are praying for all Texans in the impact zone. Saw the pictures of Rockport and was so terribly painful to see. Cannot even imagine such. Y'all take care.

Online Double B

• Sprout
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2017, 08:45:51 AM »
So glad to hear you are okay Gymgirl. I have really been worrying about you. Praising God for your good news.
14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere 655Z

Offline NewKYhome

• Grasshopper
  • Irmo, SC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2017, 09:46:42 AM »
That is certainly great to hear!  All of your hard work have surely helped with soaking up a lot of water. Sounds like you have used all of your materials to aid in deferring water from the patio and into the den with great success!  Continued prayers for you and all the others in the wake of Harvey.

Offline jimmiec

• Grasshopper
  • LA (Zone 9a)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2017, 10:27:43 AM »
Good to hear from you Texans and that you are doing.  The wood chips will soak up a lot of watet.
OH grown
Transplanted to Lafayette, LA (Zone 9a)
Newbie (5th season) home gardener growing in raised beds annuals (generally 4'x20'), perennials, and fruit using non-mechanical, organic, and bio-intensive methods.

Offline Poppa

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2017, 11:44:44 AM »
Gymgirl I thought of you Friday night when I saw that they were predicting 24" of rain in your area Saturday. I am glad to here you are ok and not flooded out.  Poppa

Offline thebayougardener

• "Keep it Simple" - "Less is More"
  • Administrator
  • Grasshopper
    • View Profile
    • The Bayou Gardener
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2017, 01:47:18 PM »
One inch of rain falling on 1 acre of ground is equal to about 27,154 gallons of water.

Donald
Located on the banks of Bayou des Glaises - Louisiana  Zone 8

Retired and loving it.  Didn't know life could be so good.

http://www.thebayougardener.com

Online Gymgirl

• Sprout
  • Zone 9a, SE Houston near Hobby Airport
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2017, 07:39:22 PM »
Wow, y'all!!!

Thanks so much for your prayers and concern.  It is really, really bad here, especially for the kids, elderly, and the sick and shut-ins. 

But, so many heroes stepping up!  Shouts out to the Army Nat'l Guard, HEB Food Stores for the convoy of provisions they sent, JJ Watt for the $100k relief find he set up, "Mattress Mack" McInvale for opening his two huge furniture stores as public shelters, Those providing food and shelter at the George R. Brown Convention Center, and everyone else who's stepping up!

God bless you all!!
230.5 sf of raised bed gardening; the "eBucket Queen" :-* ; Geobin composters; Mittleider "in-the-garden greenhouse" & PVC A-frame mini-greenhouses; compost fork with a green handle; coffee grinds & bunny berries forever; baby shampoo forever; cedar fence pickets forever, PVC hoops and hoop covers, forever! :-*

Online Boudreaux in Eunice La.

• Sprout
  • Zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2017, 08:19:36 PM »
Stay safe GG and all our members to the west of us here in La. 

That storm changed his mind again and will back in the gulf and go inland around Galveston Tx.   
I'm a optimist. Pessimists think all girls are bad. The optimist hope he's right ~!~!

Click for weather forecast

Offline PawPaw gene

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2017, 09:39:28 PM »
I heard a little earlier that the Cajun Navy is on it's way to Texas. Mayors are calling for help as people cannot be rescued as fast as the water is rising. God Bless them all. Got word from a friend that his parent's condo has water up to the second floor. Any more and they will have to leave along with others that took refuge with them.
"gene"

Offline OrangeTxn

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2017, 05:36:09 AM »
God Bless Gymgirl and all those who've been contending with Harvey since Friday night.  We're 100 miles east of Houston and the long arm of the storm reached us yesterday morning.  It started as intermittent, heavy downpours, mixed with moderate levels of rain and occasional dry spells.  It's now progressed to a steady downpour, and the accumulative amount of rain coming down is hard to appreciate.  And, unfortunately, it isn't predicted to stop for several more days.  Harvey will be one for the record books. 
Location: Orange, Tx; Southeast Gulf Coast, zone 9a.  Small home garden.

Offline Vince6424

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2017, 05:42:39 AM »
Take care and be safe everyone!  :'(
1/2 acre bush block in the Perth Hills, Australia

Offline bigboberta

• Grasshopper
  • Making Gumbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2017, 12:08:34 PM »
Praying for you gymgirl and all others in the path of the storm.  What about some of you other Texans and SE Louisiana people what isyour status?

Bob
Retired Firefighter.

Zone 8b.
Mahindra 3525
2.5 acres
Easleyville, LA

Offline pknowles

• Grasshopper
  • Zone 8b Hattiesburg, MS
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2017, 04:52:50 PM »
How are the folks in Louisiana? Please check in.

PK
Just wanna work in the garden and hang out with the chickens

Offline Rabbitproof

• Sprout
  • Foothills of the Smokey Mtns-heaven on earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2017, 04:55:14 PM »
Yes, how are you La. folks doing and southern Ms?

Online Ragun Gardener

• Sprout
  • Lafayette La
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2017, 05:02:03 PM »
I'm fine, we missed most of the rain today so far being in the light rain band. That outer band is over N.O. and I see the Lake Charles area with more rain.

Offline stumpjumper400

• Grasshopper
  • ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2017, 05:19:04 PM »
It's good to hear you are still dry. Most are not that fortunate. Saturday, we sent two HC-130J's and three HH-60's with a full compliment of pararescue jumpers to Ft. Worth. They have now moved forward to College Station and have started flying rescue missions. At this time there are 4 out of five bases that have rescue capabilities in the flooded areas. The flooding hasn't reached it's peak yet so they will stay until there are no more rooftops to pluck people off of. GG......If you need to evacuate and have the means, don't wait until it is too late. Stay safe.

Steve
87 Ford 2910 and a 58 Ford 841 Almost all the implements you could want for them. Valdosta, GA

Online Boudreaux in Eunice La.

• Sprout
  • Zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2017, 09:26:30 PM »
We good here in Eunice La.

Just emptied another 2 + inches out of my rain Gauge..    Johnny Best had more than me but I have a small leak in mine.............

The storm has changed direction and will be over our area here where I am at.

Oh Boy we don't need no more rain and not the 40 mph winds. The ground is too saturated and trees will topple over and fall on power lines ~!~!
I'm a optimist. Pessimists think all girls are bad. The optimist hope he's right ~!~!

Click for weather forecast