Author Topic: TROPICAL STORM HARVEY  (Read 1231 times)

Offline Davidx357

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
Re: TROPICAL STORM HARVEY
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2017, 09:41:23 PM »
Got 5" today.  Been windy, but it is picking up now, won't get the worst of it.  Just rain bans and gusty wind.  Good luck everybody.

Offline bigboberta

• Grasshopper
  • Making Gumbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2017, 12:57:11 PM »
On and off showers all morning last time I checked the rain gauge had 1.5 inches.  during the storms, the wind is gusting according to the news 15 to 20 miles an hour. We came out good in this one. Feel sorry for the pool people in Texas.

Bob
Retired Firefighter.

Zone 8b.
Mahindra 3525
2.5 acres
Easleyville, LA

Offline Joe In Dirt

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2017, 07:36:20 PM »
we got 18'' in Ragley, I will be good
Joe-In-Dirt

Online Rabbitproof

• Sprout
  • Foothills of the Smokey Mtns-heaven on earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2017, 07:17:30 AM »
Ragun----thanks for the link.I sent to family and friends in Houston.

Online Gymgirl

• Sprout
  • Zone 9a, SE Houston near Hobby Airport
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2017, 08:23:54 AM »
I'm good, ya'll.  No water at all. But, I've been sick most of this week with bad headaches and stomach.  Don't know if it's a pressure thing, or the actual Barometric pressure from the storm messing with my head.  I have an equlibrium problem, so any change send me into Vertigo.  I suspect that's what I've been experiencing all week.  Checking my blood pressure very regularly, and the cuff says I'm good, so I'm going with this being Harvey's fault!

Praying for my Webcajun friends and families in Louisiana.

Yep.  I definitely DO understand, now, why I hadn't planted that fall/winter garden....
230.5 sf of raised bed gardening; the "eBucket Queen" :-* ; Geobin composters; Mittleider "in-the-garden greenhouse" & PVC A-frame mini-greenhouses; compost fork with a green handle; coffee grinds & bunny berries forever; baby shampoo forever; cedar fence pickets forever, PVC hoops and hoop covers, forever! :-*

Online 1shotwade

• Grasshopper
  • The hoosier hills of southeast Indiana
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2017, 09:37:04 AM »
Good to hear you're OK GG! Thanks for checking in.
Wade
Looks like I'm going to need more ammo!

Online catgrass

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2017, 09:44:27 AM »
As of 7 AM this morning I have had 19 1/2 inches of rain since Wed 23rd.  My house is good, however, my boss lives on the Calcasieu River and  we expect about 4 ft. of water downstairs.  This is not living quarters-his house is on pilings, but he has 2 large storage rooms downstairs with tools, refrigerator, etc. that will be ruined once again.  I don't know how to get pics on here, but I am on facebook-Carolyn Sharp in Westlake, La.
Watch where you're going, not where you've been

Online jimmiec

• Grasshopper
  • LA (Zone 9a)
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2017, 12:58:38 PM »
Good to hear from you Gymgirl.  I imagine the other East TX members are not doing so good.  Hope you stay dry Catgrass. 
OH grown
Transplanted to Lafayette, LA (Zone 9a)
Newbie (5th season) home gardener growing in raised beds annuals (generally 4'x20'), perennials, and fruit using non-mechanical, organic, and bio-intensive methods.

Online Double B

• Sprout
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2017, 01:33:22 PM »
Gymgirl and Catgrass,

I am glad you are okay! Sorry you feel bad GG and hope you get better soon.

I am worried about OrangeTxn now. We just heard that Orange is immediately being evacuated and the water will rise ten feet. I am sure hoping this is fake news but please check in. Also how about Curtis in Lumberton? Anyone heard from him?
14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere 655Z

Online Ragun Gardener

• Sprout
  • Lafayette La
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2017, 02:50:01 PM »
I'm glad everyone is OK and hope the other 2 made it out.

Online catgrass

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2017, 03:25:58 PM »
They have opened the gates at Toledo Bend, which empties into the Sabine, which is where Orange is.  Yes, they expect some more flooding, BUT the rain has stopped.  Vinton & Starks, La on the Tx/La border are going to have some more flooding.  I wondered about Curtis-Lumberton is in the thick of it. They are still evacuating people from that area and bringing to Lake Charles to the totally screwed up Red Cross.  PLEASE donate somewhere else, not the Red Cross.

Online Gymgirl

• Sprout
  • Zone 9a, SE Houston near Hobby Airport
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2017, 06:02:24 PM »
Agreed.  Donate to the Salvation army.
230.5 sf of raised bed gardening; the "eBucket Queen" :-* ; Geobin composters; Mittleider "in-the-garden greenhouse" & PVC A-frame mini-greenhouses; compost fork with a green handle; coffee grinds & bunny berries forever; baby shampoo forever; cedar fence pickets forever, PVC hoops and hoop covers, forever! :-*

Online Rabbitproof

• Sprout
  • Foothills of the Smokey Mtns-heaven on earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2017, 06:05:36 PM »
Ditto...also to Samaritan's Purse which is run by Franklin Graham.

Offline bigboberta

• Grasshopper
  • Making Gumbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2017, 06:53:08 PM »
What about Curtis, anyone hear from setex-gardener.

Bob
Retired Firefighter.

Zone 8b.
Mahindra 3525
2.5 acres
Easleyville, LA

Online Ragun Gardener

• Sprout
  • Lafayette La
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2017, 07:56:28 PM »
WOW WOW WOW. 2 days ago the JJWatt fund had 3.4M and look at it now.

https://www.youcaring.com/victimsofh...eharvey-915053

Offline 2010 National Champs

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2017, 05:50:57 AM »
They have opened the gates at Toledo Bend, which empties into the Sabine, which is where Orange is.  Yes, they expect some more flooding, BUT the rain has stopped.  Vinton & Starks, La on the Tx/La border are going to have some more flooding.  I wondered about Curtis-Lumberton is in the thick of it. They are still evacuating people from that area and bringing to Lake Charles to the totally screwed up Red Cross.  PLEASE donate somewhere else, not the Red Cross.
"yes, do not donate to the red cross..."red cross" = "rose cross" = "rosicrucians"...long story, but they steal your donations....you should hear some of WWII vets talk about the red cross, they are not fans of them at all....there will be plenty of private groups to donate to besides them

Online 1shotwade

• Grasshopper
  • The hoosier hills of southeast Indiana
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2017, 07:25:21 AM »
I have had a problem with a lot of "charities" over the years.I took a bunch of stuff to goodwill once and they threw a lot of it into the dumpster.One box had 60 clothing patterns that someone could use but they saw what was in the box and didn't even look at them.Just tossed the box and all right there in front of me. That ended our relationship.

I started donating to Salvation army. After a few weeks, I watched an employee throw away 6 brand new basketballs that still had the little box type thing on them.I challenged him on it and was told"We can't sell them!Can't get a dollar apiece out of them!"Some charity! We are thru!

I only donate to the local free store of individuals.I have worked too hard for what I have to give it to someone that is just going to throw it away!
Wade
Looks like I'm going to need more ammo!

Online catgrass

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2017, 08:52:28 AM »
Horrible mess here in LC-Red Cross told people who were there with food to leave and take the food with them.  Did not hand out the supplies they had-People showing up with babies needing clean diapers and they were not given any, then herded back on a bus to go to Alexandria!  Sheriff Dept here shut them down.  We still have some chuch shelters, but our civic center is full.  Lots of people taking in families on their own. The Red Cross needs to be EXPOSED for the mess they are!

No, haven't heard from Curtis.  Don't know how to reach him~!

Online Ben

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2017, 11:45:43 AM »
RE--SETX_GARDENER   I just got off phone with Curtis.  He has been without power and flood waters are rising.  He is surrounded by water, so he and family went to a shelter last night.  He and family are  OK but are going to have to wait it out in a shelter.  His home has not taken on any water but it is up in his driveway.  Some of his neighbors in 2 story homes have water in their second story.  The top of the roof is all that is visible in Some of his neighbors' homes.

God bless Curtis who has always been first in line to help others in need.

Our prayers for Curtis and family and his neighbors.

Ben
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 01:31:34 PM by Ben »
Northwest La. zone 8b