Author Topic: Rattlesnake pole beans  (Read 340 times)

Offline PawPaw gene

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
Rattlesnake pole beans
« on: August 27, 2017, 02:20:00 PM »
Since I've never in my life planted pole beans and know of no one else that has ever planted them, I have a question. How many plants do you allow to climb 1 pole. I planted 3 seeds near the base of each pole just in case some didn't come up. So if they all sprout is that too many plant on one pole and should I reduce it to 1 or 2 plants per pole. Thanks in advance.
"gene"

Offline thebayougardener

• "Keep it Simple" - "Less is More"
  • Administrator
  • Grasshopper
    • View Profile
    • The Bayou Gardener
Re: Rattlesnake pole beans
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2017, 03:56:04 PM »
Gene … I’ve planted pole beans (blue lake) using crop netting as support.  I’ve found if you plant them any closer than 12 inches apart they’ll grow so thick it’s hard to pick em.  I would think one plant per pole would be enough.  If you fertilizer em use very, very little or you’ll have all vines and very few beans.

Donald
Located on the banks of Bayou des Glaises - Louisiana  Zone 8

Retired and loving it.  Didn't know life could be so good.

http://www.thebayougardener.com

Offline PawPaw gene

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2017, 04:59:40 PM »
Thanks Donald, now does anyone plant them on poles and can give me your way of planting.
"gene"

Online GopherBroke

• Sprout
  • Half Haas Farm
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2017, 05:38:42 PM »
Gene for years an years we planted pole lima beans an we had a TeePee setup with 4 poles coming together at the top.  Those rattlesnake beans are a different story as it seems they grow 7 plus feet, so someone that plants them will speak up. 
zone 5b Half Haas Farm
Bill
Riley, Indiana for the summer

Offline PawPaw gene

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2017, 09:22:09 PM »
Thanks Bill, I'm growing mine on teepees too, but mine are 3 legged.
"gene"

Offline billygoat

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2017, 04:54:14 AM »
Dad would make a four pole teepee with cypress poles.  He would plant two seeds at the base of each pole.  When the plants came up he would leave only the best one of the two plants at the base of each pole.  Dad would almost cry as he cut the weaker plant, but it worked well for him.  He loved to grow willow-leafed butter beans this way.  Bill.

Offline OrangeTxn

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2017, 05:46:29 AM »
Gene,

I plant my Rattlesnake pole beans similar to Donald.  I use fence posts and run wire fencing down the row as a trellis.  While not precise, the bean spacing is roughly 8 inches apart. 

Surprising, at least to me, is how high the beans will climb.  The top of my trellis is 7 ft, and the vines will outgrow that and start running horizontally.  I also learned the hard way that the vines on a trellis will catch a lot of wind, so your fence posts need to be securely set or the trellis can start leaning over.  If you're using a tee-pee setup, that shouldn't be an issue. 

Whatever the case, and however you grow them, the Rattlesnake beans are one of my family's favorites, so I grow them every year.
Location: Orange, Tx; Southeast Gulf Coast, zone 9a.  Small home garden.

Offline PawPaw gene

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2017, 08:36:41 AM »
Thanks everyone. Billy I understand where you Dad came from. It's hard to get rid of growing plants.
"gene"

Online Boudreaux in Eunice La.

• Sprout
  • Zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2017, 10:39:54 PM »
I grow them Paw Gene ..........   Here is a link to one of my videos from this year..............

https://youtu.be/ypVSQTrw9B4
I'm a optimist. Pessimists think all girls are bad. The optimist hope he's right ~!~!

Click for weather forecast

Offline PawPaw gene

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2017, 09:04:52 PM »
Nice Boo, I hope mine produce as many.
"gene"

Online Boudreaux in Eunice La.

• Sprout
  • Zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2017, 09:55:36 PM »
They will Gene all together the harvest was about 30...... 5 gallon buckets that Sanford has been picking all summer.

Before we picked the 9 gallons he picked 2 buckets and we picked another one.   

So it was a great first harvest with 5 to 6 buckets.
I'm a optimist. Pessimists think all girls are bad. The optimist hope he's right ~!~!

Click for weather forecast

Offline ccat

• Grasshopper
  • It takes a big chicken to weigh 20 pounds
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2017, 06:17:43 AM »
Gene,
I hope my 2 cents will help on this subject.
This year, I actually planted just 1 row about 25" of bush beans, but usually plant pole beans.
I have always planted them up against 5' rabbit fence.  I use T-posts like most do to support the fence and start the fence about 10" off the ground.   The beans will find it and climb from there.
But my difference in the above posts/suggestions, I plant my beans a little "thicker"..........about 4" apart.   I have never really thought about a difference in how my spacing is between bush and pole beans.   Yep, I do get a very thick situation of vines but I get a TON of beans.   And with the Rattlesnakes, pick em early and they will probably not have any strings to contend with.   And picking these really encourages new growth and fast.   
Many years, I can't keep up with them.   A 25' row will yield a 5 gallon bucket in no time.........each time.
Oh, and 3 years ago, I planted that 25' row of snakes, and planted a row on EACH side of the trellis fence.   So........that was a TON of beans.   Won't make that mistake again......or will I? :-\
I will grow them next year on fencing but will try to space them a little farther apart.
Good luck
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 06:21:04 AM by ccat »
Fayetteville, Arkansas  Zone 6b
NO MATTER WHERE YOU GO, THAT'S WHERE YOU'LL BE

Offline 2010 National Champs

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2017, 06:18:25 AM »
we stopped picking at 73 full 5 gal. buckets....they were still making but we couldn't give them away anymore.....there is not a better pole bean....next year, Lord willing, ima' plant them 18 inches apart and see what happens,since nobody will need many beans
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 07:25:34 AM by 2010 National Champs »

Online GopherBroke

• Sprout
  • Half Haas Farm
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2017, 08:43:12 AM »
Champ if you have a soup kitchen or homeless shelter near by they may be glad to get what you don't need.  The local shelter here will send people out to pick when we call.

How long were your rows?  That is a mess of beans!
zone 5b Half Haas Farm
Bill
Riley, Indiana for the summer

Offline 2010 National Champs

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2017, 12:07:57 PM »
Champ if you have a soup kitchen or homeless shelter near by they may be glad to get what you don't need.  The local shelter here will send people out to pick when we call.

How long were your rows?  That is a mess of beans!
i plant 3 -75 foot rows

Offline PawPaw gene

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2017, 12:32:51 PM »
Sounds like I'd better be prepared to pick some beans. I have 100 feet with 54 poles, that should be plenty. Thanks everyone for the input. I think I will leave only 1 plant per pole and on a few I will leave two plants to see how they do since this is an experiment to help me decide for next year weather I will plant some bush or pole beans.
"gene"