Author Topic: Another okra question  (Read 241 times)

Offline agragarden

• Grasshopper
  • Zone 7
    • View Profile
Another okra question
« on: August 28, 2017, 10:02:18 AM »
  For some reason I could not get a stand to germinate. I planted three different times. The ones that did germinate I let grow. Now we have three different size plants. Question is can I top the oldest to the same height as the youngest or is this a no no?

Rick

Online Monroe

• Sprout
  • We are still here
    • View Profile
Re: Another okra question
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2017, 10:32:13 AM »
I would see no benefit for doing that

Monroe
Jewel & I have had a beautiful journey together

Online GopherBroke

• Sprout
  • Half Haas Farm
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2017, 11:02:24 AM »
I am with Monroe.   This just means that your crop will be staggered. 
zone 5b Half Haas Farm
Bill
Riley, Indiana for the summer

Online Davidx357

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2017, 11:15:22 AM »
They are all going to produce continuously, so there is no problem.   Next time soak your seeds over night right before planting.   

Offline Daniel Grant

• Grasshopper
  • Richmond Hill, GA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2017, 09:18:36 PM »
 agragarden,
I had the same issue last year. I also planted a 300 foot row 3 times with only a very few seeds germinated. I then planted green velvet seeds in a different garden with smashing success. I think the spineless seeds although purchased from the seed feed were not fresh. This year I planted seed from the same seed and feed a few rows over from where they did not germinate last year and every seed must have germinated. I think the seed/feed store purchased a bad lot of seed last year. I will say I like the taste of the green velvet okra better than the spineless.

Regarding your current plants. I would not cut any of them back. By having plants in different stages you will have production over a longer period of time. If you cut some back by the time they recovered and began to bloom it would be very late season and the plants production will be decreasing anyway because the sunlight hours are getting less and it is already beginning to cool slightly now.
Kubota 7100, L210, Allis G, TroyBilt, Horse, Gravely, Dr. Bush mower, Tuff Bilt tractor

Online Ragun Gardener

• Sprout
  • Lafayette La
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2017, 10:37:02 PM »
I think every body plants too late because it's a "hot weather plant". Start them early because it takes a while for them to start producing and by then the heat here is killer. Use a seeder and don't be afraid of over seeding, when thy come up and get a foot tall then thin them to what you want. They love water and nitrogen and will taste sweeter.

Offline whiskydog

• Global Moderator
  • Grasshopper
  • Dallas Ga.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2017, 02:55:32 AM »
I do top my okra but only when its the right height for picking.  it will set the production back around 2 weeks before it recovers..  I thin the plants to around 3 foot spacing, thats enough to encourage the side branches to grow and they will produce more okra on the same plant..  I don't really like to pick okra until later in the fall when its tall enough that I don't have to be bent over to pick.  I usually grow a half acre or more okra and sell it..

Some okra depends on what type it is whether to top or not.. the fife or long horn types grow so lush I can't control those varieties as well.. so I don't plant those types.. they will get big and I have to pick both sides of the plants..
If I'm not having problems,, I'm not doing it right..

Zone 7 Northwest Ga.

Offline pknowles

• Grasshopper
  • Zone 8b Hattiesburg, MS
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2017, 04:31:20 PM »
I received some seeds from a friend on this forum. I believe they were the velvet skinned ones and they did not do well. But... it might have been too much water too. Will try again next year.
Thanks,
Just wanna work in the garden and hang out with the chickens

Online GopherBroke

• Sprout
  • Half Haas Farm
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2017, 04:45:01 PM »
I had the same problem with my okra, to much rain at the wrong time, an only two of the six seeds germinated an those two just barley made okra so when the sweet corn was chopped so was the okra.
zone 5b Half Haas Farm
Bill
Riley, Indiana for the summer

Online Ragun Gardener

• Sprout
  • Lafayette La
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2017, 04:46:02 PM »
I'm about done with okra for the year, the freezer has enough. I picked again today and pruned 2 30' rows back to about 4'. If they grow it's a bonus if not no biggie.