Author Topic: Working sheep for breeding  (Read 286 times)

Offline MikeM

• Grasshopper
  • Used to be MikeCHS
    • View Profile
Working sheep for breeding
« on: August 29, 2017, 03:09:39 PM »
I hesitated to post anything about our normal activities with the disaster going on with our friends down south but decided it might be a good time because of that.

We are finally getting to the point where we can separate the 8 & 9 month old sheep from those that will get bred in the next few weeks.  They could have been weaned months ago but we had projects that needed to be done to make separate paddocks for the different groups.  We got Ringo (our ram) separated and him and the wethers are now residing in the dog training pen. The dog training has taken a back burner to everything else up to this point. We have the two main paddocks separated into 4 smaller paddocks using electric rope.  We feed the two youngest lambs first and the rest sense they aren't allowed until I either walk away or take them down to the handling chute.

I thought a few pictures might be enjoyable.

Shepherds Hill Farm - Zone 7a
L3200 Kubota with loader and box blade. Husqvarna rear tine tiller
19 acres in southern Middle TN

Online Maggie13

• Sprout
  • built-incabinets
    • View Profile
    • built-incabinets.com
Re: Working sheep for breeding
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2017, 05:29:58 PM »
The flock look great! The little lambs sure have grown up.
I always enjoy seeing pictures of your farm and your critters.

Thank for the update Mike.
21' X 48' High Tunnel
Knox, New York   zone 4B

Offline Double B

• Sprout
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2017, 08:14:44 PM »
Mike,

I love your sheep threads and enjoy reading them and looking at the photos. No need to apologize because of what's going on here. We need the distraction because our televisions are nothing but this flood coverage. Please continue to post. I get a lot of enjoyment from them.
14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere 655Z

Offline MikeM

• Grasshopper
  • Used to be MikeCHS
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2017, 07:56:19 PM »
The feed bucket is the easiest way to work sheep but the reason we originally wanted to get into raising sheep are our dogs.  They have been doing minor training like holding them in place and pushing them into the handling chute for the last 10 months but most of our infrastructure is to the point that we can enjoy ourselves.  Buckets are easiest but the dogs are the most enjoyable.  This is Lance who has really matured in the 10 months that he has been watching but never working sheep.  I take hime out for a short training session every day.  That keeps it easy on him and the lambs I'm using don't get stressed out.  One of the sheep is a ram lamb that thought it was a good idea to head butt the dog but he changed his mind after Lance charged at him.  I was pleased to see no bite but all growl and speed.  My wife took several pictures this morning but these two at least show fairly well how intent he is to stay on the sheep but not push too fast.

You can see the loose tether I'm using in one picture. I was initially concerned about his lunging and biting when sheep don't react the way he wants and since these lambs have never been with a herd dog I wanted to make sure I had control. The tether probably won't be used after another time or two since he is showing really good restraint.

Online Maggie13

• Sprout
  • built-incabinets
    • View Profile
    • built-incabinets.com
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2017, 08:41:59 AM »
I love to watch a working dog taking care of business.
The other advantage of using dogs is they will move a lot faster than you and get out of harms way of a panicked sheep.

By the way I think Lance IS BEAUTIFUL!
21' X 48' High Tunnel
Knox, New York   zone 4B

Offline Double B

• Sprout
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2017, 10:18:02 AM »
We have sheep dog trials at our rodeo in Houston and it is one of my favorite events. Some of the most amazing and well trained dogs participate. It is a joy to watch them work. Plus I love this thread and being able to keep up with the progress that is being made.
14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere 655Z

Offline MikeM

• Grasshopper
  • Used to be MikeCHS
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2017, 03:47:33 PM »
He is a handsome boy but not too happy today as we left him at the vet this morning to get him neutered.  He is from champion blood lines but we couldn't have bred him even if we wanted to since he only had one testicle drop and that is something that could be in the genes. Friends of ours not far away hosts a trial every labor day and I'm hoping he will be ready for it next year.