Author Topic: Saving PHP seeds question  (Read 575 times)

Offline ccat

• Grasshopper
  • It takes a big chicken to weigh 20 pounds
    • View Profile
Saving PHP seeds question
« on: September 04, 2017, 06:35:59 AM »
I picked about 8 gallons of PHP's weeks ago to let them dry.
I shelled them and most look like you'd expect.
Some though are a grayish looking color, or just darker.
Is this to be expected?
I have never saved PHP seeds, but want to keep these for next year.
Should I store them in the freezer in a ziploc?   I have close to a gallon bag of seed.
Thanks in advance
ccat
Fayetteville, Arkansas  Zone 6b
NO MATTER WHERE YOU GO, THAT'S WHERE YOU'LL BE

Online LakeRat1

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
Re: Saving PHP seeds question
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2017, 07:31:19 AM »
Good Morning Cat >< when I save PHP seed, I let them mature on the vine, not to the plum dry, but until the shell become dark purple and pass the point that U normally pick them to eat as fresh peas or to freeze or can,

after picking the ones I plan to use for seed, I let them dry down to the point that the shell is plum dry, at this point I just place the peas shell and all in a bucket and take my hands and crush the pea shells, they will shell out, pick out all the shells, then U will have your peas seed in bottom of the bucket, there will still be some trash with the seed, depending on how many seed U are dealing with, U can use a fan to remove the rest of the small trash by pouring the seed from 1 bucket into another with a fan blowing on the stream of seed as U pour them into another Bucket,

After I have my seed cleaned up I place the in a zip lock and store then in the freezer

Rat

zone 8
Concordia Parish La.
18 Pecan Trees 11 Raised Beds
Live on the Banks of Lake St. John
about 1/2 Mile from the Miss River
Has to Be Next Door To Heaven
Toro ZTR Mower >< Lots of Grass

Online adrianrog

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2017, 08:11:24 AM »
I do pretty much the same as Rat.  I've not picked them fresh and dried them to save for seed, but did something similar October beans. We picked a bunch of those and then picked out the discolored ones like you are talking about before canning them.  We dumped the discolored ones out in the woods and a bunch of them sprouted and are growing bean plants in the woods.  They are sickly looking from lack of light, but I think they would have been fine otherwise.

If you want to test some before saving, just leave some of the worst ones between wet paper towels in a baggie and see if they sprout.  If they do, you're good to go.  If not, you can pick them out.  Here, I plant seeds about 2" apart and they come in so thick that I wouldn't notice if a few didn't come up. 

Offline ccat

• Grasshopper
  • It takes a big chicken to weigh 20 pounds
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2017, 09:28:24 AM »
Thanks yall,
I will try a few with wet paper towel and a ziploc and see.
I thought about putting some of the discolored ones in the garden now to see if they came up too.
Anyway, I have a bunch for next year and Thanks again.
ccat
Fayetteville, Arkansas  Zone 6b
NO MATTER WHERE YOU GO, THAT'S WHERE YOU'LL BE

Online Ragun Gardener

• Sprout
  • Lafayette La
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2017, 11:14:12 AM »
They should grow fine. Those peas are tough, even when neglected and stored improperly.

Two years ago I dried a mayo jar full to eat as dry beans and left them at my sisters house. Her water heater busted and flooded the house and then had a company come in and set up dehumidifiers and fans for 4 days to dry it out. She threw out all of the food because the heat was about 100 inside but I kept the beans to see if they would grow. I found them in the shed and planted them this year. I had about a 90% germination rate.