Author Topic: Osage Orange  (Read 447 times)

Offline ksp313

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
Osage Orange
« on: September 04, 2017, 06:40:48 PM »
We always called them "Horse Apple" trees, or hedge apple. They're kinda hard to find around here but they do exist. If any of y'all have them or know anybody who does, and they lose one to wind/storms, be aware this wood is highly prized by bowyers who make self bows with them and I would assume would pay good money for the wood. I would cut wood into as long as length as possible and let the buyer split them into staves, they are extremely particular about how they are split. I say this as the only one I knew of went down on a road near me last year and was promptly cut into firewood.

Offline NewKYhome

• Grasshopper
  • Irmo, SC
    • View Profile
Re: Osage Orange
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2017, 03:22:14 PM »
They are also prized and used by custom Turkey call makers.  The smaller cuts of wood could be sold to some of these folks too.

Online GopherBroke

• Sprout
  • Half Haas Farm
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 04:40:36 PM »
Hedge trees were a common site when I was young, an were used for fence post, an we have fence post that have been the in the ground for well over 50 years an they are still solid.  They make an ugly fence post because they are so crooked an man they are a challenge to drive a staple into, but the post will outlive two or three wire fences.  We now only have one hedge tree on the farm an my brother keeps it for old time sakes. 
zone 5b Half Haas Farm
Bill
Riley, Indiana for the summer

Offline ksp313

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 04:45:47 PM »
NewKy, from your profile pic, I know why you know that. Nice bird! What's on that tailgate besides you and the turkey, I can't make them out? I didn't know about the call makers either!

Offline ksp313

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2017, 04:50:58 PM »
Gopher, I'm with your brother on leaving it for posterity sake. You don't see buckeye trees much anymore either.

Offline bordercollie

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2017, 05:49:34 PM »
We have a good many Bodac trees on my bil's farm. Years ago, a tornado got a 150 year old one in the front yard. Between the stump and  where the limbs started, it weighed  either 3200 0r 5200 lbs. We had multiples of   straight chairs and rockers made out of it and the walnut tree it also got.  The problem now, some of the trees - all kinds) are leaning over due to wind and damp ground.  The drought  about 5 years ago may have weakened them. 
  A few years ago, I sent our dearly missed Dragonfly a box of wood squares left over from the chairmaker and received 2 nice homemade pens in the mail. A  mighty fine remembrance of him for sure.   judy

Online GopherBroke

• Sprout
  • Half Haas Farm
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2017, 07:04:58 PM »
Ksp last year when Rual King was selling of the garden stuff they had buckeye trees on close out an the trees were marked down to $9.  I ask my brother and sil if they wanted a couple of them an they didn't resist but were not jumping for joy either so I didn't buy them.  This year RK didn't have any trees on close out. 
zone 5b Half Haas Farm
Bill

Offline ksp313

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2017, 07:50:59 PM »
I saw some at our local Rural King Gopher. Never heard them called Bodac border!

Offline bordercollie

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2017, 08:09:26 PM »
I saw some at our local Rural King Gopher. Never heard them called Bodac border!
These are right now putting out the big green horse apples.  I read somewhere that they were good for throwing under houses as an anti roach  means. I don't know if it really works -  not the one time I put a couple under there-  They just got sorta moldy looking and I had to get rid of them.  I love the trees but the  thorns  I dislike . They are painful too. The wood starts out as yellow but ages like cherry to a pretty  dark golden brown. Will try to take pictures of the trees/ chairs one day.

Offline NewKYhome

• Grasshopper
  • Irmo, SC
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2017, 01:39:28 PM »
KSP

On the tailgate of my profile pic are a bunch of Morel Mushrooms.  My family is much happier with a mess of Morels than they are with the turkeys.  I have to agree. They are outstanding sauteed in some butter or lightly coated with flour/cornmeal and pan fried.   

After the turkeys quit gobbling after flydown, I'll wander around some creekbottoms looking for the mushrooms. Just keep it slow and stop a good bit looking around - kinda sounds like turkeys feeding around. I was looking for mushrooms about 9:30 that morning and doing pretty well and hadn't heard a gobble in an hour or so and one opened up about 100 yards from me.  Talk about dropping the mushroom bag and hitting the ground in a hurry -- it would have been comical to have watched!  Purred to the birds and scratched in the leaves a couple of times and here they come just hammering and strutting.  5 longbeards come looking for that hen.  4 left.   ;D   He sure was good with those mushrooms!

Offline ksp313

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2017, 06:49:08 PM »
NewKy, that's quite a haul of shrooms! I guess they grow around here (western KY) and I know a few people who hunt for them. But, I've heard tell that in parts north of here, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan etc., mushroom hunting is absolutely huge, with hunters very secretive about where they find them. I think some of those folks schedule their vacation time around mushroom hunting season. That's commitment.

Offline NewKYhome

• Grasshopper
  • Irmo, SC
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2017, 09:09:04 AM »
That was the biggest haul I had ever found.  I don't find many people in SC that look for them, but there aren't that many here.  A good buddy of mine in Marion, KY was the one that originally showed them to me while we were turkey hunting around his house.  I grew up in Eastern, KY around Ashland and we didn't hunt Morels growing up.

There are quite popular to hunt in the midwest and Appalachia.

Where are you in Western KY?

Offline ksp313

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2017, 07:04:52 PM »
Benton, Ky., near Paducah. I go to Marion quite a bit through the year. I like it up that way.

Offline NewKYhome

• Grasshopper
  • Irmo, SC
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2017, 09:10:41 PM »
KSP - it is beautiful in your neck of the woods.  One of my best high school buddies lives in Calvert City and has a practice in Paducah.  I wish I could make it up there more often.  It's hard to find time to do everything we have to do much less the things we would like to.

Offline ksp313

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2017, 01:29:58 PM »
NewKy, I'm about 10 minutes from all three, Benton, Paducah and Calvert City. Gopher, when you stayed (I assume camped) at Gilbertsville, Ky recently, you were about 15 minutes from me.

Online GopherBroke

• Sprout
  • Half Haas Farm
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2017, 09:28:00 PM »
KSP I have stayed in the campground in Calvert too, last year. 
zone 5b Half Haas Farm
Bill