Author Topic: Hurricane Irma and her sidekick Jose  (Read 1299 times)

Online Ragun Gardener

• Sprout
  • Lafayette La
    • View Profile
Hurricane Irma and her sidekick Jose
« on: September 05, 2017, 02:25:53 PM »
Is anybody else worried about it NOT turning? She's getting stronger with every update, Cat 5 now with 186mph winds. New Orleans still has pumps down and we've had enough rain.

I hope the weather guessers are right on this one.

Online billygoat

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
Re: Hurricane Irma and her sidekick Jose
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2017, 04:05:33 PM »
I'm going outside and tie down my butter beans!  Sure looks a lot like Katrena's track.  I have replaced my drinking water supplies, checked my generator, and am making ready.....Just "in case."

Online Daniel Grant

• Grasshopper
  • Richmond Hill, GA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2017, 06:07:13 PM »
I live in coastal Georgia and the stores at already selling racks and racks of bottled water. People are leaving the grocery stores with buggies filled with cases of bottled water.
Dan
Kubota 7100, L210, Allis G, TroyBilt, Horse, Gravely, Dr. Bush mower, Tuff Bilt tractor

Online USMC130FE

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2017, 06:17:00 PM »
This is one EVERYONE needs to prepare for!!! Is going to be bad wherever it hits. Please heed the warning signs and get prepared. God bless you all
I'll take my cold and snow over this one.
Sylvan Beach area, Northern NY, zone 4B

Offline Zook

• Sprout
  • Zookdesign.com
    • View Profile
    • www.zookdesign.com
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2017, 07:11:18 PM »
Is anybody else worried about it NOT turning? She's getting stronger with every update, Cat 5 now with 186mph winds. New Orleans still has pumps down and we've had enough rain.

I hope the weather guessers are right on this one.

Rod I don't hope no bad will on anyone. But I sure hope this does not get into the Gulf.

Not like any of the models are showing it coming in the Gulf, they all agree its going to mess up Florida.  But yes I'm a tad bit worried it will over power the cold front that should turn it.

Online Ragun Gardener

• Sprout
  • Lafayette La
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2017, 07:14:20 PM »
AWW C'Mon Steve, what's a storm once in a while compared to 8 months of snow and temps to cold to grow veggies?

It's like gambling but it's real and we all believe it won't be as bad as the forecast but we do prepare and hope for the best. Kinda like you flying in an aircraft with kids working on it!!!!!!

I've said it here before, I'm a "Major Hurricane" magnet so I won't be surprised if it come it say HI!!! ;D

All joking aside, she's looking like a monster and everyone needs to follow the news. Looks like Florida will get hit bad. If it goes straight up Florida it will be worse than Andrew and Katrina combined and if that cold front stalls it then it's another flooding disaster.

Online Ragun Gardener

• Sprout
  • Lafayette La
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2017, 07:15:32 PM »
I here you Zook, it's gonna be bad regardless where it lands.

Offline MikeM

• Grasshopper
  • Used to be MikeCHS
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2017, 07:53:55 PM »
This one kind of looks like Hurricane Henry in '05 that took dead aim at my house in Milton, Florida.  Those things are scary with those kind of winds.  But then they all are.
Shepherds Hill Farm - Zone 7a
L3200 Kubota with loader and box blade. Husqvarna rear tine tiller
19 acres in southern Middle TN

Offline Boudreaux in Eunice La.

• Sprout
  • Zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2017, 08:03:02 PM »
It was at the 20 degree line for a while and is at the 16.7 line now and still headed west. It took a dive toward the west south west in the last 3 days. If it stays like that it might not take that sharp turn the north.......

Right now the models are showing Pensacola Fl.
I'm a optimist. Pessimists think all girls are bad. The optimist hope he's right ~!~!

Click for weather forecast

Offline Boudreaux in Eunice La.

• Sprout
  • Zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2017, 08:08:14 PM »
This storm is HUGE and will get bigger... Remember Gilbert in 1988 ?? Gilbert had winds of 185 sustained and gusts to 225. It was so huge in diameter that it covered the whole gulf of Mexico. It went into the gulf from the Yucatan way south and still affected Louisiana. If Irma gets that big it will eat up a small cool front and merge with it. Large storms like that make there own atmosphere. Gilbert should have been a CAT 6 in actuality... I am not a meteorologist by any means at all. I have been watching these storms and studied them in my teens. I went through a lot of them from the early 60's until now.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Stay safe my friends ~!~!
I'm a optimist. Pessimists think all girls are bad. The optimist hope he's right ~!~!

Click for weather forecast

Online Ragun Gardener

• Sprout
  • Lafayette La
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2017, 08:37:27 PM »
It's all a guessing game at this point. A High Pressure system will block it and a Low Pressure system will let it go north. That HP system in the Atlantic is to key to making it turn north along with the cold front and jet stream. The HP system in the Atlantic should move east and that will let it turn but if it doesn't then it will hold the storm south and closer to us before it turns.

A LP system turns counter clockwise and HP turns clockwise so according to the forecast the cold front is a LP and will steer it north and the same with the HP in the Atlantic. The LP system will weaken it too so the farther south the cold comes the better.

Of course that's if all goes as predicted but if one stalls or picks up speed then things are off and then we have that Gulf thing that might effect it too.

Offline Double B

• Sprout
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2017, 09:16:02 PM »
Don't count your chickens before they hatch. Please be prepared. Even if you don't get the hurricane you may get a stalled rain system. I can attest to what 50+" of rain looks like. I don't wish it on anyone and hope there is enough high pressure to make this a fish storm and spare the U.S.

The folks in New Orleans should be smart enough to have their pumps working and also have those school buses ready to load people and get them out of there unlike last time. Be prepared to evacuate and not to be a victim. Get your important documents ready to leave and also a bug out bag. This storm is no joke.
14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere 655Z

Online Chapman

• Grasshopper
  • Zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2017, 09:30:05 PM »
Some of the younger ones here may not know that all the hurricanes used to have women's names because they were so unpredictable. ;)
Southwest Louisiana, Zone 9- I have fig trees for sale,growing over 20 varieties, contact me for info.

Offline Lost in Lebeau

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2017, 09:25:44 AM »
Don't trust the powers that be to tell you whether you need to leave or not. Trust your gut and use common sense. My daughter wanted to stay in Houston. I told her to get out of there. She said "Do you think it's gonna get that bad, Daddy? They're not calling for a mandatory evacuation." I told her "You get your behind out of there and I MEAN NOW!!!" Needless to say, she has thanked me several times since, and has come away with a different perspective. Protect yourselves and your loved one's at all cost. The material things can be replaced. Just my two cents...
Shane
45 acres in the metropolis of Lebeau, LA (Latest Census recorded a whopping 110 residents!). Zone 9

Online Daniel Grant

• Grasshopper
  • Richmond Hill, GA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2017, 10:36:57 AM »
In coastal Georgia gas stations and places like Kroger are already running out of gas. Hope they have more supplies to replace the gas especially since the refineries are still not back in production. Without gas supplies there will be no evacuations and people will be running out on the expressways. We are nearly a week away from a hurricane strike should it turn and come up the east coast.
Kubota 7100, L210, Allis G, TroyBilt, Horse, Gravely, Dr. Bush mower, Tuff Bilt tractor

Online Ragun Gardener

• Sprout
  • Lafayette La
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2017, 12:29:02 PM »
Here's one of the new models with that last northern shift.

Fla and Georgia look out

Online Ragun Gardener

• Sprout
  • Lafayette La
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2017, 03:49:44 PM »
Summary from PM: Barbuda is "totally demolished". Over 90% of structures and roads gone. Sounded like 1,000+ deaths (line was hard to hear)

https://twitter.com/ldobsonhughes/status/905529420890460163
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 03:54:00 PM by Ragun Gardener »

Online Ragun Gardener

• Sprout
  • Lafayette La
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2017, 03:58:11 PM »
That tweet is wrong.

The ABS- TV (Antigua and Barbuda) are reporting ONE fatality on Barbuda. Not one thousand people dead.

However they are also reporting "90 percent of the housing stock on Barbuda is decimated"

.. implying that the large majority of the ~1600 people who were on Barbuda have been left homeless or severely damaged homes.

Offline Double B

• Sprout
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2017, 04:21:27 PM »
Very few structures whether there or here will be able to survive winds over 150 mph. Those in its path should leave. Trust me that I am always the last one that wants to leave but years ago when Rita was headed straight for us and the winds were 175 mph we packed up and left. It took a turn and we were very fortunate not to be damaged but others around Port Aurthur were.

Right now it is forecasted to hit Florida at 155 mph so all those in its path should leave. The storm sure for coastal areas will be huge. Please stay safe and protect your lives and loved ones.

Around here you cannot imagine the amounts of livestock are being buried. My neighbor across the road lost six of his prize fallow deer that he knows of and is looking for others. Cows are washed up against the fences and horses that couldn't be moved fast enough are dead with more dying. This storm is serious so please take it as such. I implore you!! Please
14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere 655Z

Online Ragun Gardener

• Sprout
  • Lafayette La
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2017, 04:27:09 PM »
Irma damage pics and it didn't have a direct hit so the east coast better take cover.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/stmartinnewsnetwork/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1439449566108784

5PM advisory