Author Topic: Things that I have learned from Donald, an this forum  (Read 321 times)

Online GopherBroke

• Sprout
  • Half Haas Farm
    • View Profile
Things that I have learned from Donald, an this forum
« on: September 06, 2017, 08:18:52 AM »
I have been thinking about writing this for a while, because of how well our garden has produced not just this year but since I have been reading this forum an watching videos. 
On a normal year our tomatoes would be history by now, but with information I learned here, they are still mostly healthy, an still producing.  Last week we pick nearly a bushel of maters every other day off of 35 plants.  The weather has slowed them down but we picked nearly 2 pecks yesterday.  I tribute this to learning to use high nitrogen fertilizer every couple weeks, an copper spray to control disease, our tomatoes look healthy this year rather than the usual look like ya used a flame thrower on them. 

Mr. D your videos on the proper way to fertilize has greatly increased our whole gardens production.  Two years ago my brother was giving me a hard time because I was tilling the corn stalks back into the soil, rather than pulling them an taking them to the woods to dump as they had been doing for 30 years.  Mom told him to back off cause we had 2 ears of corn on most ever stalk an she hadn't seen that in many years.

We have started using raised beds, for radishes, leaf lettuce, an spinach, with good to great success too.  I am trying to convince the family that this will be the way to have a few vegetables when mom is no longer able to have her garden, but it is a work in progress. 

So thanks to you Mr. D. an the forum members for the knowledge, guidance, and videos, an friendship as y"all have made me a better gardener over these last few years. 
zone 5b Half Haas Farm
Bill
Riley, Indiana for the summer

Online Monroe

• Sprout
  • We are still here
    • View Profile
Re: Things that I have learned from Donald, an this forum
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2017, 08:28:29 AM »
Gopher the only thing I can add is--speaking from my own personal experience--that we're never too old to learn a better way, I've sure learned some

Monroe
Jewel & I have had a beautiful journey together

Offline thebayougardener

• "Keep it Simple" - "Less is More"
  • Administrator
  • Grasshopper
    • View Profile
    • The Bayou Gardener
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2017, 01:55:07 PM »
When folks post both their successes and failures we all learn.  That’s what I find helpful.

Donald
Located on the banks of Bayou des Glaises - Louisiana  Zone 8

Retired and loving it.  Didn't know life could be so good.

http://www.thebayougardener.com

Offline crazyhorse

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2017, 11:58:53 PM »
I agree .

Mr Donald has helped many, many people ,(me included) ,(we will never know how many he has helped), become first time gardeners or helped us long time gardeners become better gardeners and just better food providers for the family.
 I wish President Trump would recognize Mr Donald for all the good he has done for people .
 He has given so freely to help anyone to have a good garden that produces the very best quality food and preserve food  for year round use.
 If it were possible for each one of us to help our fellow man as much as Mr Donald has helped his fellow man, think what a great improvement our whole world would be in today.
 I am honored to be allowed to be a member of The Bayou Gardener, the best site period.
Thank you Mr Donald .
God Bless you sir.

Offline Rabbitproof

• Sprout
  • Foothills of the Smokey Mtns-heaven on earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2017, 07:55:13 AM »
I love this forum---folks so helpful when I have had questions about so many things. Also just reading about everyone else's thoughts,problems, and suggestions has been so informative. TONS of good info...am so glad I joined!!

Offline woodchip gardener

• Dirt Dabber
  • zone 7 - above Charlotte NC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2017, 11:16:05 AM »
i agree!  i have learned so much from Mr. Donald's videos. I used his list of veg to try several new and interesting veg that I had never tried before.  They also led me to this site.  Everyone has been so wonderful about sharing their knowledge and show actual concern for each other.  It has been a wonderful resource!
Inch by inch, row by row
Someone bless these seeds I sow
Someone warm them from below
Till the rain comes tumblin' down
-The Garden Song

Online GopherBroke

• Sprout
  • Half Haas Farm
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2017, 01:13:27 PM »
Amen to all.

When this place was a working farm with animals the manure went on the garden, but there hasn't been animals for a few decades thus the soil has slowly lost nutrients, an organic matter because a lot of the left over plant material was hauled off rather than worked back into the soil.  There were a lot of bad habits working on this garden, an when I retired an started helping with the garden I learned to love gardening an seeing this place produce like it should have if it weren't for these habits.  I am still fighting a couple of those habits, one is a cover crop.  I hope to get something on the garden before I leave for the GTG.   
zone 5b Half Haas Farm
Bill
Riley, Indiana for the summer

Offline ksp313

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2017, 03:25:36 PM »
I learned I needed the best garden hoe in the world, the HookenCrooke! And I got one. The folks at HookenCrooke are really good people with an outstanding product, should last a couple of lifetimes. They are hampered a great deal by the outlandish shipping fees that push the final price tag to around $75 delivered. I wish they could find another way, I bet sales would double.

Online Double B

• Sprout
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2017, 07:42:33 AM »
I too have learned a lot on this forum from all the members but especially some of Donald's older videos when he was setting up different implements on his tractor. I occasionally review them to refresh my memory. This is the only site I have ever been a member of and I thank Mr. Donald for his creation of the site and the many, many folks he has inspired and helped.
14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere 655Z

Online tangentalstorm

• Grasshopper
  • Hillbilly Gardener, amongst many other things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2017, 08:36:39 AM »
I started watching Donald's videos while I was in Afghanistan the first time....watching those helped me tremendously and I am not just talking about the gardening tips.

Thank You Donald.
Crack O' Noon Farms.
In the Mountains of Old Virginia.
Proud Appalachian-American.

Offline NewKYhome

• Grasshopper
  • Irmo, SC
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2017, 04:13:54 PM »
I have learned so much from Mr. Donald and the Forum.  I am very appreciative of him and many others like him that take time from their days to show other people how they do things.  Over their years of trial and error many lessons have been learned and better ways are found.  Thanks you all that enjoy sharing that knowledge with me and anyone else that would like to know of your experiences.  In the last five years, I have gone from a complete novice to having a pretty decent garden.  I still have a loooong way to go to be as good as you guys. 

By watching Mr Donald’s videos, he has saved my back by using the crop netting with Pole bean -  below are a couple of picks with my version of them.  TPPHPs were a first for me this year and will be every year from now on.  Anytime I want to try something new, the first 2 places I go are the WebCajun channel on you tube and then this forum and search both.  I’ve planted my first ever beets a couple of weeks ago with some valuable information and am looking forward to trying them and putting some up.

Next year, I plan to not be hardheaded and side dress my tomatoes and add some copper spray so they are more healthy productive plants.

Tangentalstorm – thank you for your service!