Author Topic: Two sisters--the first and the last  (Read 122 times)

Online Monroe

• Sprout
  • We are still here
    • View Profile
Two sisters--the first and the last
« on: September 06, 2017, 02:54:06 PM »
Jewel's nephew called & said, "Mom needs to see Jewel, can you meet us at the Quinlan Dairy Queen" . We have dinned at the most hootie-tootie places in Dallas but nothing could ever compare to today at the DQ. If asked how to spell older sister I would spell Virginia . The emotions were high , Nephew & I let them have all the time for each other. Bob is not able to get out anymore but with help they are still living on their farm. Virginia will be 96 later this week, she was 15 when Jewel was born so as Jewel entered the teen years Virginia was there for her. When I started entering the picture she was there for us both. It is a rare thing to have a Sister, Mom and Friend all rolled up in one package. These two still hand write letters to each other. Today Virginia asked me didn't I manage a store one time in Arizona, no I said, we decided to come home & live by you and Bob.
Jewel & I have had a beautiful journey together

Offline Rabbitproof

• Sprout
  • Foothills of the Smokey Mtns-heaven on earth
    • View Profile
Re: Two sisters--the first and the last
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2017, 05:58:45 PM »
Monroe----The closeness of sisters is just the best. They look wonderful, and it is so good they can be with each other. My sister moved 5 minutes from us here after being 7 hours away in Memphis, since 1994. Having her here has truly been a blessing. Know how much Ms. Jewel and her sister savor their time together.

Online Monroe

• Sprout
  • We are still here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2017, 08:57:36 PM »
Thank you Rabbit, there has always been a special bond between these two and I really believe it started when Jewel was a baby and the oldest, Virginia, took care of her. It was a blessed day today, as always, seeing them together, this is rapidly becoming more important that they see each other often. Jewel was a terrific young Mom because Virginia was such a terrific young Mom to her.   

Offline crazyhorse

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2017, 11:29:01 PM »
Mr Monroe , thank you sir for posting the good history and a picture of those two beautiful ladies.
God bless all of you.

Online bordercollie

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2017, 01:04:02 PM »
What a nice picture. I can feel the warmth- I'm glad ya'll got together and maybe it can happen often.  That is a special  memory for sure.    judy

Offline woodchip gardener

• Dirt Dabber
  • zone 7 - above Charlotte NC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2017, 08:56:01 AM »
awww...they look lovely.  blue is def mrs. jewel's color.  :)

it is awesome they are still so close.  i am glad they could get time together face to face.  phone calls and letters are nice, but sometimes you just need to hug your family.  :)

Inch by inch, row by row
Someone bless these seeds I sow
Someone warm them from below
Till the rain comes tumblin' down
-The Garden Song

Online Monroe

• Sprout
  • We are still here
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2017, 09:50:30 AM »
In the early spring of 1958 this is the sister that Jewel had written to all excited about my getting a store at Flagstaff. Jewel was so excited not only about my getting a store with a good salary increase but that she was coming home to visit while I was hiring personal and getting the store ready to open. She wanted to get the letter in the mail that night at the downtown Tucson post office, I went in and mailed the letter, walked back out & our life in less than a minute was changed.

Monroe