Author Topic: New to Me Ditcher  (Read 472 times)

Offline MudHog

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
New to Me Ditcher
« on: September 07, 2017, 01:34:14 PM »
On my day off today i went to Evangeline, LA and picked up an old FMC Sidewinder ditcher for the tractor. Decent shape, but needs a little work. Can't complain for it being only $200. FMC is out of business, but they were in Minden, LA back in the day.

Oh and didn't know that Evangeline is where the Louisiana Oil Industry started. Had little oil pumpers all over.
New Iberia, LA - Zone 9a

Online thebayougardener

• "Keep it Simple" - "Less is More"
  • Administrator
  • Grasshopper
    • View Profile
    • The Bayou Gardener
Re: New to Me Ditcher
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2017, 01:45:38 PM »
Running a shallow ditch through a low spot works wonders to keep a place draining.  Good purchase.

Donald
Located on the banks of Bayou des Glaises - Louisiana  Zone 8

Retired and loving it.  Didn't know life could be so good.

http://www.thebayougardener.com

Offline Davidx357

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2017, 10:56:44 PM »
After years of watching from the road people ditch sugar cane.  I know this is the last implement I want to operate.

Offline Zook

• Sprout
  • Zookdesign.com
    • View Profile
    • www.zookdesign.com
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2017, 08:46:27 AM »
Good find and price Lane.  I got an old Acme center machine from my buddy a year or so ago. used it last week.

David I can assure you it not a fun machine to sit in front of for days at a time. All my seat time was on a IH 706, cabs was not hear of back then.

Offline MudHog

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2017, 04:55:53 PM »
Thanks guys. I was able to get ahold of a parts manual for it from the company who carries the blades now.

Planning to start tearing it down this weekend.
New Iberia, LA - Zone 9a

Offline Joe In Dirt

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2017, 09:59:55 PM »
  MudHog, Evangeline was where I born and raised went to school there, live there until I move to Ragley, still had some old standard derricks and a lot of pumping jacks on the wells, when they drilled the first oil well in 1901 I seen pictures on the west side of Hwy, 97 headed north there were restaurants and hotel that we three story, in the later years there were a few small stores and a lot of squatter livening on other people's land a for cry from what is there now my early years were on the farm, probably know who you got it from, they came into being when they started planting soy beans in the mid 60's but nothing could beat the ditching plow that was used on the 8-N Ford and later models, they were made in Welsh by the Crowl Brothers, they did the casting and put it especially for the Ford for ditching in the rice fields, that side winder works good, the biggest think to watch for is the bearing in the bottom and sprockets, they not to fond of cement and tree roots, make sure you up wind wet or dry.
Joe
Joe-In-Dirt

Offline MudHog

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2017, 09:13:16 AM »
Thanks Joe. I bought it from a Crochet. The guys family are rice farmers and their farm is out off Gotts Cove Road.

I got everything stripped down. The big bearings were spinning in the housing so I am trying to find a larger OD bearing and will get the housing milled to match. The bearing now is 80mm OD and 1.5" ID. It's a disc plow bearing from what I have found.
New Iberia, LA - Zone 9a

Offline Joe In Dirt

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2017, 08:04:49 PM »
Yes I know that bunch, good people and I think that is the third generation, you will like it once you use it, blow it towards the house and see if the Mrs. like it, let me know how that tuned out.
Joe-In-Dirt

Offline MudHog

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2017, 07:41:49 PM »
Well, here is new to me ditcher #2. Bought this one for $150. Inside gearhousing is clean as a whistle. Bearings are tight too. Same brand and model, just slightly newer than the other one as this one has the updated shafts.
New Iberia, LA - Zone 9a

Offline Joe In Dirt

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2017, 08:26:28 PM »
that is a good looking one, now this is how you operate it, if that is your house in the back ground, cut a ditch around the back porch and the sides of the house, you can get your wife to wash the house, let me know if you are able how that turns out, just try it to see, don't forget to send pics.
Joe-In-Dirt