Author Topic: I'm really angry and just plain frustrated.  (Read 357 times)

Offline Greg

• Grasshopper
  • Zone 5b - Pierce Colorado
    • View Profile
I'm really angry and just plain frustrated.
« on: September 08, 2017, 10:10:33 AM »
Our area is completely covered in smoke. I haven't seen the full sun in almost two weeks. It's 80 degrees outside and totally defused sun light. My garden has shut down. Perfect growing temperature and no sunlight.

If you haven't heard the west is on fire. There are wildfires pretty much in every state and the smoke is blowing across the west.
The smoke has sent me to the doctor's office twice.

I was getting a bucket of cucumbers every other day... now the plants look sick and no fruit. Same with my snap beans and cantaloupe.

I'm really frustrated, I got a good haul from the beans, canned 139 quarts so far. But there's 3 good weeks of growing time left...smoke... who would have thought.
LS XJ2025 25hp Tractor - FEL, middle buster, row hippers and a rototiller - 1.1 acres, Pierce, Colorado

Click for weather forecast

Offline catgrass

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
Re: I'm really angry and just plain frustrated.
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2017, 10:28:54 AM »
And here in the deep south it's too damn wet to grow anything.  I don't understand why, if we can put man into outer space and bring him back, why can't we pipe water from where there is too much, to where it is needed.  I just don't understand!
Watch where you're going, not where you've been

Offline Rabbitproof

• Sprout
  • Foothills of the Smokey Mtns-heaven on earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2017, 12:40:52 PM »
Greg----that is heartbreaking about the fires and smoke---and so disheartening to be losing your beautiful garden. Are you near Lyons, CO? My niece is there babysitting her sister's kids while they are in Scotland. My poor niece just left Houston where she and parents got totally flooded out---hate for her to now be dealing with smoke in Lyons!

Offline 1shotwade

• Grasshopper
  • The hoosier hills of southeast Indiana
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2017, 01:19:37 PM »
We are so dry that my Kohlrabi has grown a new bulb onto the old one when we got a rain last week.All summer they were stunted at about 3" diameter. Now they have a 2 1/2 bulb on top the original one.

I have friends in Mousula Montana that are on their 64th day of not being able to see the mountains 2 miles away because of the smoke!last nights report said they have 1.1 million acres on fire in that state.
Wade
Looks like I'm going to need more ammo!

Offline Greg

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2017, 06:34:27 PM »
We are so dry that my Kohlrabi has grown a new bulb onto the old one when we got a rain last week.All summer they were stunted at about 3" diameter. Now they have a 2 1/2 bulb on top the original one.

I have friends in Mousula Montana that are on their 64th day of not being able to see the mountains 2 miles away because of the smoke!last nights report said they have 1.1 million acres on fire in that state.
Wade

What's been reported is that it's the Montana fire that's choking us out. :(
LS XJ2025 25hp Tractor - FEL, middle buster, row hippers and a rototiller - 1.1 acres, Pierce, Colorado

Offline Greg

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2017, 06:37:40 PM »
Greg----that is heartbreaking about the fires and smoke---and so disheartening to be losing your beautiful garden. Are you near Lyons, CO? My niece is there babysitting her sister's kids while they are in Scotland. My poor niece just left Houston where she and parents got totally flooded out---hate for her to now be dealing with smoke in Lyons!

I'm about 30 miles north east of Lyons. So we're seeing the same scenery.

Probably gonna go out tomorrow and start tiling everything under. :(

Offline Rabbitproof

• Sprout
  • Foothills of the Smokey Mtns-heaven on earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2017, 06:47:15 PM »
Greg----thanks for the report. Think I will go call my niece and make sure she and the kids are staying indoors!!!

Offline 1shotwade

• Grasshopper
  • The hoosier hills of southeast Indiana
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2017, 06:56:49 PM »

Wade

What's been reported is that it's the Montana fire that's choking us out. :(

You could be correct!I was told that the smoke from there is covering Nebraska and Missouri.
Wade
Looks like I'm going to need more ammo!

Online GopherBroke

• Sprout
  • Half Haas Farm
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2017, 07:04:47 PM »
Five years s ago I flew to Seattle an bought my motorbike an drove over the north side of the state on my way home an it was during the fire season.  I had never been close but to a wildfire, an there was a wind farm next to the interstate an off in the distance I could see a windmill with only two blades an I could though that a blade had failed but as I got close the third blade was up in the smoke!   And it smelled like trash burning not as I expected it to smell like a campfire.
zone 5b Half Haas Farm
Bill
Riley, Indiana for the summer

Offline woodchip gardener

• Dirt Dabber
  • zone 7 - above Charlotte NC
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2017, 08:31:57 PM »
hi greg

i did some quick reading to see what i could find.  from what i read, it is not necessarily the smoke in the air doing the harm...it is the soot/ash/particulates building up on the leaves of the plants causing the issues.  i also read an interesting article about wildfires smoke in new mexico where it actually helped to diffuse the intense sun and let the plants grow a bit. 

i would try picking a small portion of the garden and hitting it with your hose once a day to see if it helps.  if you can get the particulates off maybe they would be able to process what light there is.

good luck!
Inch by inch, row by row
Someone bless these seeds I sow
Someone warm them from below
Till the rain comes tumblin' down
-The Garden Song

Offline Tazzy Turfer

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2017, 04:13:20 AM »
G'day Greg,
 I think I would try what chip said & maybe a quick PH test on the soil because protracted ash exposure can affect plant growth as well.
Regards Pete
Life is like a roll of toilet paper, The closer you get to the end the faster it goes, So don't waste any of it!!

Offline Greg

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2017, 01:27:41 PM »
hi greg

i did some quick reading to see what i could find.  from what i read, it is not necessarily the smoke in the air doing the harm...it is the soot/ash/particulates building up on the leaves of the plants causing the issues.  i also read an interesting article about wildfires smoke in new mexico where it actually helped to diffuse the intense sun and let the plants grow a bit. 

i would try picking a small portion of the garden and hitting it with your hose once a day to see if it helps.  if you can get the particulates off maybe they would be able to process what light there is.

good luck!

Thanks Woodchip! Good info, I'll give it a shot.

Offline USMC130FE

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2017, 08:44:25 AM »
Greg, be thankful your only losing some veggies. A bunch of people have and others will lose everything they own. Trying times we're in.
Sylvan Beach area, Northern NY, zone 4B

Offline woodchip gardener

• Dirt Dabber
  • zone 7 - above Charlotte NC
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2017, 06:31:51 PM »
greg, were you able to salvage any of the garden?  have the fires let up?  is the smoke clearing?

Inch by inch, row by row
Someone bless these seeds I sow
Someone warm them from below
Till the rain comes tumblin' down
-The Garden Song