Author Topic: I have always made my own  (Read 91 times)

Online Monroe

• Sprout
  • We are still here
    • View Profile
I have always made my own
« on: September 08, 2017, 01:14:48 PM »
I am getting ready to do some window work & decided to make some new saw horses. There's usually enough left over boards from a project to make a couple of these. Cheap & easy.

Monroe
Jewel & I have had a beautiful journey together

Offline Rabbitproof

• Sprout
  • Foothills of the Smokey Mtns-heaven on earth
    • View Profile
Re: I have always made my own
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2017, 02:15:54 PM »
Good idea! Never thought about making one---seems like it would not be complicated. Every time I think of sawhorses I remember my grandmother somehow managing to strap my daddy's very old youth saddle on one so we could pretend to ride it like a horse. We loved that thing! Played for hours on it. My little brother was absolutely crazy about Davy Crockett----he would put on his coonskin hat , hop on that makeshift horse, and start belting out, "Davy, Davy Crockett, king of the wild frontier." He was only about 5 yrs old at the time----we still teaes him about that. He was so cute!!!

Online Monroe

• Sprout
  • We are still here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2017, 06:55:36 PM »
I have never purchased a board to make one of these. When I used to visit with the builders I would also visit their scrap pile. These are 4' long and 24" high. They are sturdy and safe. When we built our house we had them everywhere. They are the perfect height for me to lay a 3/4" sheet of plywood across a couple and work an 8' ceiling. Jewel did all the wall papering in this house, she would put one next to a wall, use a little step stool to get on the horse and hang a sheet of paper. She could walk on that horse & never look down. The old fellow who did most of our tape & bed work liked them so much he wanted to buy a couple, we gladly gave them to him. A couple of them with a sheet of plywood also makes the perfect table for  outdoor parties.
Jewel & I have had a beautiful journey together

Offline woodchip gardener

• Dirt Dabber
  • zone 7 - above Charlotte NC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 08:59:58 AM »
good job mr. monroe.  i like that you make them wider than the standard ones.  they do look very sturdy and heavy duty.

i saw the pic from your window repair thread.  they look like they worked out great!
Inch by inch, row by row
Someone bless these seeds I sow
Someone warm them from below
Till the rain comes tumblin' down
-The Garden Song