Author Topic: Another new pup  (Read 239 times)

Offline MikeM

• Grasshopper
  • Used to be MikeCHS
    • View Profile
Another new pup
« on: September 10, 2017, 06:49:56 AM »
Yesterday was the fall meeting and sheep sale for the Tennessee Katahdin Sheep Association which we joined today. I'm not sure how but we volunteered to host the spring Association meeting at our farm in late April of next year. That meeting will not involve a sale but they say the attendance is always good with folks coming from of course Tennessee but there was several from Alabama, Kentucky, Alabama and Louisiana.  A couple of people are donating pork shoulders and briskets and we will provide lamb so I'll get a chance to do a mass feeding using my new Traeger grill.

We did not bring any new sheep home but this pretty white male Akbash pup followed us home. Most of the sheep that were for sale would have been a step backwards for us so we weren't tempted to buy any.  We started introductions this evening for the pup and our sheep guard dog Maisy when we got home and will continue today.  Maisy got riled up when the pup growled and snapped at her so we will see how that works out. This pup is going to be a big boy, his sire is right at 140 lbs and his dam is 110 lbs. The sheep were curious enough about him to come up and sniff and he was well behaved with them. By the time we got everybody settled in it was almost dark and after we settled in we heard this whining outside.  The pup escaped what we thought was a secure pen so he spent the night on the back porch and the other two herd dogs got to sleep in the house last night since we don't want them to interact.  We will build him a day pen in the sheep paddock this morning so he can spend the day outside without having to fend of the sheep and Maisy so everyone can get used to each other. He is 8 weeks old and almost 25 pounds but we still will keep him on the back porch at night.  It's a fine line keeping him from bonding with us instead of the sheep but he seems to be really smart and laid back.

Shepherds Hill Farm - Zone 7a
L3200 Kubota with loader and box blade. Husqvarna rear tine tiller
19 acres in southern Middle TN

Offline Double B

• Sprout
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
Re: Another new pup
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2017, 07:42:34 AM »
What a handsome pup. If he fills out like his dad he will be huge. Dogs are such great companions and it is really nice that they can guard your flock. Please keep us updated on this pup's progress.

Double B
14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere 655Z

Offline MikeM

• Grasshopper
  • Used to be MikeCHS
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 07:10:28 PM »
We named the pup Thor which we hope is not hugely over optimistic.   :)

Our Great Pyrenees Maisy has taken him under her wing and has been showing him the ropes.  We had to change our plan about using a pen within the pen because Maisy decided that she needed to stay with the pup to guard him since he couldn't follow her.  We released him this morning and they have been roaming together ever since.  Even the sheep have accepted him already and this was his first full day in with them.

Offline bordercollie

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 08:24:39 PM »
This is an exciting story Mike. I'll be interested in how it goes. We got 2 border collie mixes back in May  to help with the cows. They still have a lot to learn since our other registered collies had passed on before they came here.  I wish they had a mentor like Maisy  to direct them.
 I'll also be interested in what you thought of your new pellet? grill as far as taste. 

Offline MikeM

• Grasshopper
  • Used to be MikeCHS
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 06:04:26 AM »
Our herd dog training has really been put on the back burner but we hope to get them working again.  We built a training pen.

We have only used the new grill once for some chicken but it did as good as any I have had.  I won't be throwing my Weber away but I'm looking forward to a whole lot of cooking on the Traeger.

Offline bordercollie

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2017, 09:53:10 AM »
Thank you for the reply.    Good pups are a life saver .  :) :)

Online Maggie13

• Sprout
  • built-incabinets
    • View Profile
    • built-incabinets.com
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2017, 04:26:12 PM »
That is great to hear Maisey has decided the new pup will be part of "her" pack She will how him to be a guard dog, introduce him to the sheep and keep him safe.
21' X 48' High Tunnel
Knox, New York   zone 4B

Offline MikeM

• Grasshopper
  • Used to be MikeCHS
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2017, 07:44:13 PM »
After Maisy with the pup I started to wish that her previous owners had not got her spayed.  I expect some issues with the pup when he gets a bit older but so far she is doing most of the training.  We hear both of them alerting during the night and of course they sleep mostly in the daytime.  I was watching them this afternoon before feeding and the pup was heading into an area where the sheep were ganged up.  They are still leery of him and they will try to butt him if given the chance.  I saw Maisy get up and bark several times and he went right back to "Mama".

After I fed them this afternoon I bent over to pick up the puppies food bowl.  He grabbed it with his mouth and ran it down the hill a piece and just dropped it and came running back so proud of keeping his bowl from me.  :)

Offline crazyhorse

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2017, 03:23:46 PM »
Mr Mike, that is a good looking pup.
Hope he makes you a good one.

Ms Judy , I agree , a smart dog sure is a big help in many ways.