Author Topic: Kalettes  (Read 404 times)

Online Tazzy Turfer

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
Kalettes
« on: July 09, 2017, 09:46:19 AM »
G'day All,
 Has anyone heard of a  vegetable new cross between a broccoli & a Kale called a Kalette & if so do you have any information as to soil preferences & temperature zones   as down here is cool temperate  & I would like to have a go for my old mate who had some,  Thanks Pete
Life is like a roll of toilet paper, The closer you get to the end the faster it goes, So don't waste any of it!!

Offline 2010 National Champs

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
Re: Kalettes
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2017, 04:03:38 PM »
i looked them up and i would like to try them....the seeds are expensive but since i love kale and brussel sprouts, i will have to see about them

Offline woodchip gardener

• Dirt Dabber
  • zone 7 - above Charlotte NC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2017, 09:25:47 AM »
hi tazzy,

the web says they have been in britain for several years, but are pretty new here.  it seems that they come in 4 types based on the growing season.  these are the types that were listed.  do you know which ones you have?

http://www.johnnyseeds.com/vegetables/kalettes/

this was by far the best ref available
http://demandware.edgesuite.net/bbbw_prd/on/demandware.static/-/Library-Sites-JSSSharedLibrary/default/dw7bdae166/assets/information/kalettes-flower-sprouts-production.pdf

i looked at a few of the sites.  they said the hardest part of growing them is patience.  they grow tall ok, but seem to take forever to make those little heads.

this page had some good info.  it says to aim more for growing like a brussel sprout. 

https://www.kalettes.com/uk/news-media/grow-kalettes-urban-garden/

hope this helps!
michelle

Inch by inch, row by row
Someone bless these seeds I sow
Someone warm them from below
Till the rain comes tumblin' down
-The Garden Song

Online Tazzy Turfer

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2017, 02:56:49 AM »
G'day Woodchip,
Thanks for the Information ,I will follow it up & do some checking of the regulations.One problem down here in Tasmania, apart from terrible internet connection, is the importation regulations applied to plants & plant materials ,even from the mainland states within Australia. The Quarantine services here are very strict & on top of their game . It's a bit like turning the clock back 30 years in the thinking department . My friend is an expat POM & he is the instigator of the search after a visit he made to his family in Britain where he tried & liked the vege. I have no seed as yet however I have been told the Kalette is now being sold in 200 gram bags of the florettes in a large supermarket chain, for an exorbitant price,& that's if you can find it.
                           Regards Pete
Life is like a roll of toilet paper, The closer you get to the end the faster it goes, So don't waste any of it!!

• Dirt Dabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2017, 07:15:19 AM »
i read up on your importing seeds info.  you were not kidding on how strict they are.  dang.  there are all sort of forms..importing seeds, gmo forms, register as an importer...dang. even if you do less than 1 oz of seeds you still have to get inspected and then they can require tests at your expense.  it is a miracle you guys get any sort of new anything there. 

http://dpipwe.tas.gov.au/Documents/seeds.pdf
Inch by inch, row by row
-The Garden Song

Online Tazzy Turfer

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2017, 07:11:41 PM »
Thanks for your back up. Woodchip, I think the Government tries on all the regulations down here before they try it on the mainland as we are an island state  of  500,000 people so where are you gonna go.!                                                    Regards Pete
                                       " But then  again it is not all bad"

Offline adrianrog

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2017, 09:17:07 PM »
I checked Johnny's and at almost $26 for 100 seeds, I'll just stick with my kale for now.  They do look interesting though.

• Dirt Dabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2017, 09:08:37 AM »
hi tazzy

any update on growing the kalettes?
Inch by inch, row by row
-The Garden Song

Offline USMC130FE

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2017, 09:06:39 AM »
Wonder if it's possible to propagate your own seeds from plants you grow?  Would be a expensive venture if not
Sylvan Beach area, Northern NY, zone 4B

Online Tazzy Turfer

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2017, 04:17:23 AM »
G'day Chip,
The kalettes that I got with your help , are now known down here as Brukale & are started in late Summer for a winter harvest, & after sprouting, taking 16 or so weeks to maturity, the advantage is you can harvest them from the bottom up like brussels. we are just entering Spring now though were still getting unprecedented snow , rain ,& the roaring forties wind is now active . I plan on trialing these plants (, because  they are wind sensitive) in some wicking bed containers that I make out of 1000 litre IBC's & hoop frame them to reduce wind buffeting , they bring guava juice down here in the IBC's & are only used once .I will let you know how it progresses & if my wife can punch the information into me I might even be able to post a photo or two in the future.
                     Regards Pete