Author Topic: Fun Begins in Central Florida  (Read 507 times)

Offline Digger66

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
Fun Begins in Central Florida
« on: September 10, 2017, 08:19:17 AM »
Hello All of my Bayou Gardener Friends,
I know I have not been able to post a lot in the last year, however I have started working on a Fall garden, my thoughts have been maybe I can get our life back to normal. So much for those thoughts,   
Well the next 24 to 36 hours hours will be a very rough time here  here in Central Florida.  We live in an Oak forest and I at this moment  I have  over 100 oaks around the house and property.  We are very worried about trees coming down on the house. We were luck to find plywood local so the house has been buttoned up as best we can, Generator is ready and have fuel on hand that will last us at least a week. We have plenty of food and means to cook. Water may or may not be an issue only time will tell as long as we still have a well we may be fine in that regards If we loose the well we have 500 gallons on hand besides drinking water.  Local Duke Energy has said it could be 4 to 8 weeks before we see power restored not good at all. The eye wall at least seems to moved  a little more to the west which will keep it from being a direct impact.  We expect power to be down in our area some time between 6 PM to 9 PM, if not before.  Hell, it could be days to get down trees out of the way so we can get out for supplies if needed. We are very lucky to have great neighbors around us so we help each other if needed.  Need to go so everyone stay safe if you are in the path of this monster storm.

Bill & Norma
North Central Florida, 8,000 sq. ft. no till Back to Eden Garden. Equipment: One Heron, One Honey Bee, one garden Rake and one rusting tiller.
Retired and enjoying the good life. Married to a wonderful woman. Zone 8b/9a

Online USMC130FE

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
Re: Fun Begins in Central Florida
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2017, 08:30:51 AM »
Prayers being sent to you and everyone else.
Sylvan Beach area, Northern NY, zone 4B

Online MikeM

• Grasshopper
  • Used to be MikeCHS
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2017, 08:47:24 AM »
I hope you are able to stay safe.  Oaks are a problem with all that wind and saturated ground but it sounds like you have done everything you can to prepare for it.  My favorite uncle is in Clermont and he is buttoned down well hopefully.
Shepherds Hill Farm - Zone 7a
L3200 Kubota with loader and box blade. Husqvarna rear tine tiller
19 acres in southern Middle TN

Offline bigboberta

• Grasshopper
  • Making Gumbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2017, 05:30:14 PM »
I was thinking about you this morning watching the news.  Best of luck stay safe.  Praying for you and others I know  and all who will be affected by the storm.

Bob   
Retired Firefighter.

Zone 8b.
Mahindra 3525
2.5 acres
Easleyville, LA

Offline Tazzy Turfer

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2017, 06:50:23 PM »
G'day All.
We are all concerned down under with what is going on with the climate Etc on the planet & in particular  the northern hemisphere. I awoke to see the news media on all channels is about the hurricane & earthquake damage, flooding ,fires . It makes you feel quite helpless that all we can do to help for the present  is offer our prayers & good wishes  to you All .
                                                             Regards Pete
Life is like a roll of toilet paper, The closer you get to the end the faster it goes, So don't waste any of it!!

Offline NewKYhome

• Grasshopper
  • Irmo, SC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2017, 08:25:59 PM »
Bill & Norma

Our prayers are with you and all the others in the wake of Irma.  Stay safe and keep us updated.  BTW - you'll get to that fall garden - it just may be delayed a little and not quite as big as you would have hoped for, but you'll get some seeds in the ground.

Online crazyhorse

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2017, 01:23:29 AM »
x 2 what has already been said.

Mr Bill & Mrs Norma , may God bless and keep ya'll & everyone in the storm's path safe.

Offline Double B

• Sprout
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2017, 06:20:15 AM »
Our prayers are with you both, Bill and Norma. Our news this morning shows our Centerpoint linemen leaving here heading your way. They also showed hundreds of other companies already safely staged waiting for the storm to pass and all are ready to work sixteen hour days. With that said, hopefully it won't be nearly as long to get your power restored. This storm is a big one so please stay safe and check in with us here when you are able. Meanwhile we will ramp up our prayers!!
14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere 655Z

Offline Digger66

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2017, 07:21:42 PM »
Hello Everyone
We made it through this massive storm with no damage can you believe that, The eye, eastern edge went right by our place. We lost three oak trees in the high winds. I believe all your prayers helped as God surely  smiled on us that night and morning.  I know the storm was not like they saw in South Florida, however the Eye wall was still very dangerous. There are many live oaks down in our area, which I have never seen in my 70 years. Still no power Duke Energy says it will be back on by Sunday Night the 17th. As long as we can keep finding fuel for the generator we are fine.
The water that came down was unbelievable no idea how much we really got. I forgot a 5 gallon bucket out side by my garden shed and it was absolutely over flowing. We had rain for three days non stop many times I could not see our barn at 150 feet away.

Thanks for All your prayers
Bill & Norma
North Central Florida, 8,000 sq. ft. no till Back to Eden Garden. Equipment: One Heron, One Honey Bee, one garden Rake and one rusting tiller.

Online 1shotwade

• Grasshopper
  • The hoosier hills of southeast Indiana
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2017, 07:30:56 PM »
Well, praise God! I'm so happy he had his hand on you and yours!There has sure been a lot of good outcomes thru all this.

Irma came to visit me yesterday morning before daylight. She Is due to leave around midnight tonight.She has been playing nice while here. No wind to speak of and a non-stop gentle garden type rain.Can't complain about that!
Wade
Looks like I'm going to need more ammo!

Offline NewKYhome

• Grasshopper
  • Irmo, SC
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2017, 07:36:17 PM »
That is great news!  Happy for your safety and minimal loss.  The 19th is just around the corner.  Maybe you could use the oaks for some firewood for the fall bonfires or smoking some ribs later.

Hope you can keep your generator running!

Offline Double B

• Sprout
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2017, 09:25:41 PM »
Great news Bill,

I am so happy that you were spared massive damage. We all have to thank God for answered prayer. I also pray your house power will be back on soon. We were hearing that there were six million homes without power in your area and I know that many of these folks are working sixteen hour days to help restore electricity to all of Florida.

Cheers to you and your neighbors for all our best,

Double B
14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere 655Z

Online crazyhorse

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2017, 02:25:14 AM »
Mr Bill , it is good to hear that y'all made it through ok.
I thank God  for that .
I pray your power is restored soon.
God bless you.

Offline bigboberta

• Grasshopper
  • Making Gumbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2017, 01:22:58 PM »
Good news.  The power of prayers is underestimated these days.

Bob
Retired Firefighter.

Zone 8b.
Mahindra 3525
2.5 acres
Easleyville, LA

Offline Digger66

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2017, 07:29:30 PM »
Well, today was a test of our stamina as the heat came back with temps reaching 90 degrees and not the first hint of a breeze. Went on a fuel run today and it took me through the rolling hills of horse farm country. I must say that this area of Florida will show you how much rain we really had, there are some mighty big lakes that did not exist a few days ago. Some of these new lakes come with horse barns in the middle. I guess we could convert them to covered docks and start a new Bass club, I guess we could even call it Irma's landing ;D Some of the roads still had water over them. At least I found fuel this trip. I went by a Duke Energy staging area that must have had 1,000 trucks of all types, they even had huge colorful circus tents. The clean up is the tough part as many of you know. I will be picking up tree limbs for 6 weeks at least. I am not complaining one bit as I could be looking for a way to keep water out of what was left of the house as many are doing.
I will go for now it's to hot in the house so I will go sit on the back porch and watch the fire flies.

Bill

Offline Boudreaux in Eunice La.

• Sprout
  • Zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2017, 08:46:20 PM »
We are glad you and yours are OK and doing well ~!~!
I'm a optimist. Pessimists think all girls are bad. The optimist hope he's right ~!~!

Click for weather forecast