Author Topic: DEHYDRATING BELL PEPPERS PICTORIAL  (Read 191 times)

Online Gymgirl

• Sprout
  • Zone 9a, SE Houston near Hobby Airport
    • View Profile
DEHYDRATING BELL PEPPERS PICTORIAL
« on: September 11, 2017, 09:55:56 AM »
Did this over the weekend.  21 bell peppers on the dehydrator for 20 hours.

1 & 1/2 TBSP = 1 bell pepper

On the pantry shelf, good for  1-2 years. 

Will last ~6 mos. at my house, LOL!

http://webcajun.com/thebayougardener/smf/index.php?topic=2732.0
230.5 sf of raised bed gardening; the "eBucket Queen" :-* ; Geobin composters; Mittleider "in-the-garden greenhouse" & PVC A-frame mini-greenhouses; compost fork with a green handle; coffee grinds & bunny berries forever; baby shampoo forever; cedar fence pickets forever, PVC hoops and hoop covers, forever! :-*

Offline MikeM

• Grasshopper
  • Used to be MikeCHS
    • View Profile
Re: DEHYDRATING BELL PEPPERS PICTORIAL
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2017, 11:32:06 AM »
I did so many last year that I didn't have to do any this year.  I didn't care for the way ours re-hydrated so we take it one step further and grind them to a powder.  You get the pepper taste without needing the cooking time.

Nice pictorial too.  :)
Shepherds Hill Farm - Zone 7a
L3200 Kubota with loader and box blade. Husqvarna rear tine tiller
19 acres in southern Middle TN

Online Gymgirl

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2017, 02:12:37 PM »
Hey, Mike!

Did you re-hydrate your bell peppers for use in soups/stews? 

I'll be using these mainly in red beans & chicken tortilla soup that I cook overnight in the crock pot, or in gravies that'll simmer for awhile.

I'll probably make spice powder from some red bells, if I find them on sale. 

I've been making Tabasco spice powder all season.  I have a quart and a pint jar of dehydrated peppers waiting to be ground, and a gallon bag in the drawer, waiting to be filled with this week's harvest.  This weekend, I cut all the pepper bushes back, and thinned them out for more airflow.  I think I might get one more flush of peppers before the cold sets in, although, they are slowing down.

Have you dehydrated and ground onions and garlic?  If so, was it a good end product?  I have onions to be dispatched, and am toying with putting the dehydrator outside.  I hear you don't wanna do that inside, or in the garage, LOL!
230.5 sf of raised bed gardening; the "eBucket Queen" :-* ; Geobin composters; Mittleider "in-the-garden greenhouse" & PVC A-frame mini-greenhouses; compost fork with a green handle; coffee grinds & bunny berries forever; baby shampoo forever; cedar fence pickets forever, PVC hoops and hoop covers, forever! :-*

Offline MikeM

• Grasshopper
  • Used to be MikeCHS
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2017, 02:59:14 PM »
I have done onions but not garlic and liked the end result.  We have the luxury of plenty of freezer space so we chop up a bunch at a time and freeze on a flat then bag them up.  I made the mistake once of starting some onions in the kitchen and running errands for a few errors.  It took a month to get rid of the onion smell.  I like the dried peppers in things that have a long simmer time.
Shepherds Hill Farm - Zone 7a
L3200 Kubota with loader and box blade. Husqvarna rear tine tiller
19 acres in southern Middle TN

Online Gymgirl

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2017, 03:12:29 PM »
Thanks, MikeM!  :-* :-*

Offline woodchip gardener

• Dirt Dabber
  • zone 7 - above Charlotte NC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2017, 08:19:48 AM »
that was a cool pictorial, gg.  thanks for posting it.  :)

you got a great deal on the peppers!  they are on sale this week at our local store for .79 EA   

can i ask, does the dehydrating intensify the flavor?  like how much of the dehydrated pepper would you use for a pot of soup vs. cutting up a fresh one?  is there a difference?
Inch by inch, row by row
Someone bless these seeds I sow
Someone warm them from below
Till the rain comes tumblin' down
-The Garden Song

Online Gymgirl

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2017, 10:22:05 AM »
Woodchip,
This is my first time dehydrating bell peppers.  For me, it's more of a $$ savings, because the store I get them at sometimes has HUGE bell peppers, 3/$1.  It's also a space saver, because my freezer is packed right now, and I can store those vacuum sealed bags on the pantry shelf.

I learned of the dehydrating method from imstillworkin (Susan) on Youtube.  She dehydrated one bell pepper separately, to see how much it would end up being dried. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJFzGOcL5nc

ONE and ONE-HALF tablespoons = one bell pepper. 

Since I use the bell peppers mostly in soups/stews/overnight crock pot cooking, I'm pretty sure they'll re-hydrate adequately.  Not sure if the flavor is intensified, although, I imagine in the dried state it would be, minus the water.

Hope this helps!

P.S.  I've also dried kale leaves and beet greens, and ground them into a powder.  I sprinkle those in my green smoothies, on eggs, in salads, and in some of the stews and gravies.  Nutrients!
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 10:27:02 AM by Gymgirl »

Online Boudreaux in Eunice La.

• Sprout
  • Zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2017, 11:29:30 PM »
GG looks good I need to get me a dehydrator one of these days....... 

Dehy my superhot peppers, now that would be done outside for SURE  Bon Dieu ~!~!

Are ya'll going to be able to make this years GTG in Mamou ??
I'm a optimist. Pessimists think all girls are bad. The optimist hope he's right ~!~!

Click for weather forecast

Online Gymgirl

• Sprout
    • View Profile