Author Topic: DEHYDRATING BELL PEPPERS PICTORIAL  (Read 628 times)

Offline Gymgirl

• Sprout
  • Zone 9a, SE Houston near Hobby Airport
    • View Profile
DEHYDRATING BELL PEPPERS PICTORIAL
« on: September 11, 2017, 09:55:56 AM »
Did this over the weekend.  21 bell peppers on the dehydrator for 20 hours.

1 & 1/2 TBSP = 1 bell pepper

On the pantry shelf, good for  1-2 years. 

Will last ~6 mos. at my house, LOL!

http://webcajun.com/thebayougardener/smf/index.php?topic=2732.0
230.5 sf of raised bed gardening; the "eBucket Queen" :-* ; Geobin composters; Mittleider "in-the-garden greenhouse" & PVC A-frame mini-greenhouses; compost fork with a green handle; coffee grinds & bunny berries forever; baby shampoo forever; cedar fence pickets forever, PVC hoops and hoop covers, forever! :-*

Offline MikeM

• Grasshopper
  • Used to be MikeCHS
    • View Profile
Re: DEHYDRATING BELL PEPPERS PICTORIAL
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2017, 11:32:06 AM »
I did so many last year that I didn't have to do any this year.  I didn't care for the way ours re-hydrated so we take it one step further and grind them to a powder.  You get the pepper taste without needing the cooking time.

Nice pictorial too.  :)
Shepherds Hill Farm - Zone 7a
L3200 Kubota with loader and box blade. Husqvarna rear tine tiller
19 acres in southern Middle TN

Offline Gymgirl

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2017, 02:12:37 PM »
Hey, Mike!

Did you re-hydrate your bell peppers for use in soups/stews? 

I'll be using these mainly in red beans & chicken tortilla soup that I cook overnight in the crock pot, or in gravies that'll simmer for awhile.

I'll probably make spice powder from some red bells, if I find them on sale. 

I've been making Tabasco spice powder all season.  I have a quart and a pint jar of dehydrated peppers waiting to be ground, and a gallon bag in the drawer, waiting to be filled with this week's harvest.  This weekend, I cut all the pepper bushes back, and thinned them out for more airflow.  I think I might get one more flush of peppers before the cold sets in, although, they are slowing down.

Have you dehydrated and ground onions and garlic?  If so, was it a good end product?  I have onions to be dispatched, and am toying with putting the dehydrator outside.  I hear you don't wanna do that inside, or in the garage, LOL!
230.5 sf of raised bed gardening; the "eBucket Queen" :-* ; Geobin composters; Mittleider "in-the-garden greenhouse" & PVC A-frame mini-greenhouses; compost fork with a green handle; coffee grinds & bunny berries forever; baby shampoo forever; cedar fence pickets forever, PVC hoops and hoop covers, forever! :-*

Offline MikeM

• Grasshopper
  • Used to be MikeCHS
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2017, 02:59:14 PM »
I have done onions but not garlic and liked the end result.  We have the luxury of plenty of freezer space so we chop up a bunch at a time and freeze on a flat then bag them up.  I made the mistake once of starting some onions in the kitchen and running errands for a few errors.  It took a month to get rid of the onion smell.  I like the dried peppers in things that have a long simmer time.
Shepherds Hill Farm - Zone 7a
L3200 Kubota with loader and box blade. Husqvarna rear tine tiller
19 acres in southern Middle TN

Offline Gymgirl

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2017, 03:12:29 PM »
Thanks, MikeM!  :-* :-*

Offline woodchip gardener

• Dirt Dabber
  • zone 7 - above Charlotte NC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2017, 08:19:48 AM »
that was a cool pictorial, gg.  thanks for posting it.  :)

you got a great deal on the peppers!  they are on sale this week at our local store for .79 EA   

can i ask, does the dehydrating intensify the flavor?  like how much of the dehydrated pepper would you use for a pot of soup vs. cutting up a fresh one?  is there a difference?
post something!  c'mon...you know ya wanna...  :)

Offline Gymgirl

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2017, 10:22:05 AM »
Woodchip,
This is my first time dehydrating bell peppers.  For me, it's more of a $$ savings, because the store I get them at sometimes has HUGE bell peppers, 3/$1.  It's also a space saver, because my freezer is packed right now, and I can store those vacuum sealed bags on the pantry shelf.

I learned of the dehydrating method from imstillworkin (Susan) on Youtube.  She dehydrated one bell pepper separately, to see how much it would end up being dried. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJFzGOcL5nc

ONE and ONE-HALF tablespoons = one bell pepper. 

Since I use the bell peppers mostly in soups/stews/overnight crock pot cooking, I'm pretty sure they'll re-hydrate adequately.  Not sure if the flavor is intensified, although, I imagine in the dried state it would be, minus the water.

Hope this helps!

P.S.  I've also dried kale leaves and beet greens, and ground them into a powder.  I sprinkle those in my green smoothies, on eggs, in salads, and in some of the stews and gravies.  Nutrients!
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 10:27:02 AM by Gymgirl »

Online Boudreaux in Eunice La.

• Sprout
  • Zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2017, 11:29:30 PM »
GG looks good I need to get me a dehydrator one of these days....... 

Dehy my superhot peppers, now that would be done outside for SURE  Bon Dieu ~!~!

Are ya'll going to be able to make this years GTG in Mamou ??
I'm a optimist. Pessimists think all girls are bad. The optimist hope he's right ~!~!

Click for weather forecast

Offline Gymgirl

• Sprout
    • View Profile

Offline Mr Sam

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2017, 06:51:05 PM »
Just ordered a ten tray dehydrator from Cabelas have them on sale.  Have had a great year with my peppers have 8, gallon bags full in the freezer and still a bunch on the plants.  Out of room and want to try dehydrating some.  And tomatoes!  Have  had fun with this site and great info on here.

Online Ragun Gardener

• Sprout
  • Lafayette La
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2017, 07:30:42 PM »
Welcome Mr Sam!!!
 I'm glad you had a good year.

Offline Double B

• Sprout
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2017, 09:15:05 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Mr. Sam. We are glad you are here and look forward to hearing more about your gardens in the near future.

Double B
14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere 655Z

Online Maggie13

• Sprout
  • built-incabinets
    • View Profile
    • built-incabinets.com
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2017, 06:15:28 AM »

Welcome Mr. Sam!
21' X 48' High Tunnel
Knox, New York   zone 4B

Online tangentalstorm

• Grasshopper
  • Hillbilly Gardener, amongst many other things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2017, 10:40:00 AM »
I have two of the 10 tray stainless steel dehydrators and once things start coming in they pretty much are running constantly all through till fall.... Last year I ended up with5 1 gallons bags of dried sweet peppers and probably 15 1 gallon bags of hot peppers of one variety or another. I made my own jalapeno, Serrano, habanero, reaper, cayenne and Hungarian wax pepper powders with them. They are great but Lordy Lordy I swear they get hotter in powder form.
Crack O' Noon Farms.
In the Mountains of Old Virginia.
Proud Appalachian-American.

Offline Gymgirl

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2017, 09:26:28 AM »
Storm,
You can control the heat by de-seeding some of your peppers before you dehydrate them.  I de-seed and pull the membrane (the hottest part of the pepper) out of roughly half the batch before I dehydrate them. 

Then, when I run them through the spice grinder, I get a less hot blend.

Hope this helps.

Online Rabbitproof

• Sprout
  • Foothills of the Smokey Mtns-heaven on earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2017, 12:43:56 PM »
Gymgirl-----have you ever tried "Leather Britches"?  Around here the old timers talk of stringing green beans with needle and thread and hanging them out of direct sunlight  to dry them out. Was the old fashioned way and everyone here seems to have done so or had a relative who did. I have been tempted to give it a try.

• Sprout
  • Zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2017, 11:32:34 PM »
Thanks for the link GG....

Sam jump up in here on main General discussion and set a spell Like Crazy Horse say's   

Welcome to the forum Mon Ami ~!~!
I'm a optimist. Pessimists think all girls are bad. The optimist hope he's right ~!~!

• Sprout
  • Zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2017, 11:37:32 PM »
Just ordered a ten tray dehydrator from Cabelas have them on sale.  Have had a great year with my peppers have 8, gallon bags full in the freezer and still a bunch on the plants.  Out of room and want to try dehydrating some.  And tomatoes!  Have  had fun with this site and great info on here.

Sam jump in here and start a new topic...... Let us know where you from and what you got going in the garden ~!~!

Online tangentalstorm

• Grasshopper
  • Hillbilly Gardener, amongst many other things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2017, 08:44:07 AM »
Storm,
You can control the heat by de-seeding some of your peppers before you dehydrate them.  I de-seed and pull the membrane (the hottest part of the pepper) out of roughly half the batch before I dehydrate them. 

Then, when I run them through the spice grinder, I get a less hot blend.

Hope this helps.

I appreciate the thought but since I had my guts scrambled I don't do much hot stuff anymore... I prefer to inflict...err..."Share"... it with others. My stepson loves the habanero powder deadly hot and all.... He tried the Reaper powder once...only once....lol

I make a salsa with the Reapers and Reaper powder that I "share" with the pepperheads I work with...*evil laugh*....funny how ego can make guys do stupid things....even though beforehand they are warned fully...LOL

Makes a heck of a bug, deer, rabbit, everything spray too....
Crack O' Noon Farms.
In the Mountains of Old Virginia.
Proud Appalachian-American.

Offline Gymgirl

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2017, 10:19:55 AM »
Storm,
Pls post your hot pepper critter recipe.

Thanks!