Author Topic: old fat man doing window repair  (Read 211 times)

Online Monroe

• Sprout
  • We are still here
    • View Profile
old fat man doing window repair
« on: September 11, 2017, 10:41:58 AM »
The windows in this house are right at 50 years old, we put in Anderson wood windows. This window is at the kitchen sink and needs the most attention , it is the only casement window we have. I gave thought a few years back of replacing it with a greenhouse type window , but never did follow through. All we need now is to repair what is needed. Those are the saw horses I built, I may need a pillow to sit on . I'll show a finished picture in  year or two, Jewel is afraid I'll fall off, Sis went by, stopped &  fussed , Jim & Teresa don't know what I'm doing yet. Me--I just enjoy living in the moment . I've taken care of these windows since the beginning, I can  it one more time.

Monroe

Jewel & I have had a beautiful journey together

Offline agragarden

• Grasshopper
  • Zone 7
    • View Profile
Re: old fat man doing window repair
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2017, 11:38:55 AM »
  Looks like about three feet high.  You need a harness and safety net. Glade you still enjoy it.

Rick

Offline Ben

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2017, 11:53:39 AM »
That's what keeps you going YOUNG MAN, keep it up

Ben
Northwest La. zone 8b

Online Monroe

• Sprout
  • We are still here
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2017, 06:06:54 PM »
I got off to a good start this is the first time to use the Dremel Multi Max oscillating tool on a window. It sure does a good speedy job cutting out old glaze and sanding. I have morning shade until about 10 then I do something else until the afternoon shade at 2:30. Even with the dremel I'm not as fast as I once was.

Monroe

Offline crazyhorse

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2017, 06:27:53 PM »
Mr Monroe, you doing a good job.
Stay safe.

When we get/got older, it does NOT mean we can't do anything, it just takes LONGER to do the work.

Offline MikeM

• Grasshopper
  • Used to be MikeCHS
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2017, 06:45:27 PM »
Slower still gets it done.   ;)

I don't have the Dremel model but the multi tool was the most used tool during our home renovation.  It did things there was no other easy way to get it done.
Shepherds Hill Farm - Zone 7a
L3200 Kubota with loader and box blade. Husqvarna rear tine tiller
19 acres in southern Middle TN

Offline woodchip gardener

• Dirt Dabber
  • zone 7 - above Charlotte NC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2017, 08:50:16 AM »
you go mr. monroe!  heck with how fast you are doing it...the fact is you can still get up there to do it!  take the win!

i don't know anything about fixing windows, but we do have one of those little dremmel tools.  they are very handy!  when we replaced the board on the back of our breakfast bar it was super handy for trimming up the baseboard along the wall to let the new board slide in.  was small enough to get down in there without having to rip the whole thing off.  :)

ps. i have that same chair.  it is part of a set with the little matching table out on our brick patio.  you are right, they are not very comfy.  :(
Inch by inch, row by row
Someone bless these seeds I sow
Someone warm them from below
Till the rain comes tumblin' down
-The Garden Song

Online bordercollie

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2017, 11:03:01 AM »
Good  Monroe !!  That's what keeps us young and gives a good feeling for such a nice job being done  :) :) :) :) :) .    judy

Online Monroe

• Sprout
  • We are still here
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2017, 09:00:13 PM »
well #1 son called tonight--what's all that stuff under that window---I'm doing a little window work--did that old paint have lead in it----No---are those some of the old saw horses---No--what's the shop vac doing up there---cleaning up as I go---you're going to trip over too many cords--OK I probably won't, lets get together this week end---that's what I called about, Teresa thought you & Mother might like to run down to the lake & ride around if the weather is pretty---sounds good to me---Is Mother close by---That's the way it went, I'm glad he was concerned.

Online Monroe

• Sprout
  • We are still here
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2017, 08:58:55 PM »
this was a good window day. I've got all the old paint sanded off and most of the old glaze from around the panes, so far I've not broke a pane, lucky me, I usually did. I've also got all the old caulk out. Jewel sat out under the tree this afternoon & watched, every time I stood up or changed tools she would tell me to be careful. This is nothing new and I have to admit I've always liked the attention. Chipper that chair is from a little patio set we bought sometime in the early 70s . At that time the patio was fairly small. We still have the little set but much later we put in a big bricked circular patio and the pool then bought, what is called, outdoor furniture.

Online bordercollie

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2017, 09:50:17 PM »
 :) :) :) :) Monroe, I think Mrs. Jewel is really enjoying watching you do this repair.  :) :)

Online Monroe

• Sprout
  • We are still here
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2017, 09:38:30 AM »
judy it seems only a short time ago that Jewel would have been right up there with me working on that window, I miss those times. The window work is coming along I've started re-glazing. I have to keep the glazing compound in the house and glaze soon as I can see what I'm doing, the day gets too hot too soon for the glaze to work like it should. It's been a long time since I have done any of this, but it's looking ok.

Monroe

Online Monroe

• Sprout
  • We are still here
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2017, 09:11:19 PM »
this set of windows has 18 panes 8x12--I'm down to the last six being through with the glazing. The window sill wasn't rotted anywhere but was badly weathered and had weather cracks. I made the old sill look new again by using Minwax epoxy. I've made repairs before using this product. I was 32 years old when we started building this house & gave no thought that I would be 81 some day and repairing a window I didn't want to put in but Jewel wanted this very one , it was in the plans.

Monroe