Author Topic: Old Friend's Birthday  (Read 83 times)

Online tangentalstorm

• Grasshopper
  • Hillbilly Gardener, amongst many other things.
    • View Profile
Old Friend's Birthday
« on: September 14, 2017, 12:57:04 AM »
I was talking with my woman the other day and somehow the subject of my old 1917 SMLE (the rifle's name is Emma btw) came up (she was moving stuff around which means I won't be able to find a damn thing when I get home)...she asked me about it saying things like "You have all these new rifles yet whenever something comes up around here you tend to grab this one.".   I explained to her that I bought that rifle in 1985 and through just about all of the highs and lows I have been through as an adult that rifle has been with me. I didn't know or understand at the time that it was an all matching SMLE and the importance of that, nor did I really understand just how important a piece of history it is... when I saw it in the shop in Chantilly, VA while home on leave it just spoke to me....now it is part of MY history.

She's completely stock, brass buttplate and all, to the point of having an original WW2 canvas sling even and she's no beauty queen and can be a beast to shoot a lot of rounds out of....my shoulder hurts just thinking about some of the marathon shooting sessions I used to do when .303 surplus ammo was cheap. She's an absolute tack driver out to 450 yards. It doesn't even matter what kind of ammo I put through her, old, new, FMJ, SP different grains and weights whatever she puts them right where I point her....  I know exactly where she shoots and what she can do and more importantly what I can do with her. This rifle has a lifetime contract with me. It struck me that my SMLE turned 100 years old this year and for 32 years of it's existence she has been mine. She's killed more bambi's and other pests than I can recall and done anything I have ever asked of her and never ever let me down. If there was ever a problem it was me. Friends like that are rare and should be cherished.

So Happy Birthday Emma. I will be home soon and we can get back to work.
Crack O' Noon Farms.
In the Mountains of Old Virginia.
Proud Appalachian-American.

Offline Mr. Scruffy

• Grasshopper
  • "step high jack, there's a log"
    • View Profile
Re: Old Friend's Birthday
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2017, 04:50:07 AM »
Looking for that "like" button for this one. Great sentiment in those words. Got an old Winchester model 94 handed down from my dad that I feel that way about. Congratulations on having such a fine old shooting piece. Oh and happy birthday Emma.
Kidney Transplant recipient 6/23/2015 donated by my wonderful wife. She is my HERO.

Opportunity is missed by most because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Orange, TX zone 9a (I think) for now

Offline Lost in Lebeau

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
Re: Old Friend's Birthday
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2017, 10:07:45 AM »
I too have some old friends...my paternal grandfather's old LC Smith side-by-side with double hammers, maternal grandfather's old model 94 and a few others. They will be handed down for generations to come, I hope.
Shane
45 acres in the metropolis of Lebeau, LA (Latest Census recorded a whopping 110 residents!). Zone 9