Author Topic: State Fair of Texas started today  (Read 141 times)

Online Monroe

• Sprout
  • We are still here
    • View Profile
State Fair of Texas started today
« on: September 29, 2017, 03:30:21 PM »
We've been going through some 1962 slides. This was Oct of 62 at the fair--Jewel is getting Jimmy and herself a snow cone. I can make out the prices that popcorn was 15 cents and a snow cone was a dime. We used to go &  really have fun, but the last time Jewel & I went was in the late 90s on senior day, we got in free but paid through the teeth for everything else.
Jewel & I have had a beautiful journey together

Online Monroe

• Sprout
  • We are still here
    • View Profile
Re: State Fair of Texas started today
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2017, 05:00:53 PM »
I was showing Jewel what I just posted, by the way she looked I knew she was remembering something. I remember when we were in HS we saw the ice capades, do you remember she asked. I sure do, then I started filling in a few things. School was out for fair day Jewel & another girl was to meet Jerald & me at the feet of "BIG TEX" close to noon that day. They had gone with the FHA on the bus early that morning. Jerald & I had started cleaning a broiler house after school the day before and had to finish it up fair day morning. We got ourselves cleaned up, was running late, jumped in his car with 32 miles to go. Around fair park the residents try hard to get you to park in their yards for any where from 50 cents to a dollar.  Neither of us paid any attention what yard Jerald put that car. We ran through the fair gate giving the attendant our school pass thinking we would grab the girls and go see Joie Chitwood's auto stunt show and demolition derby. The girls were waiting for us just as planned and thinking they were excited to see us---but--Jewel said we've been looking at the pictures where the ice capades are, that looks like so much fun--In my wildest of dreams I would never imagine spending hard earned ,chicken house cleaning, money to see Brigadoon, but we did without ever bringing up car demolitions . Since they rode over to the fair on the bus that's how they had to go back. The bus left right at dark, we stayed with them till it left and would catch up & meet them back at school. We couldn't find the car. That is not a part of Dallas to be in after dark especially jumping over back yard fences. We finally found it, the girls were a little put out but didn't say much except how much they loved seeing Brigadoon. They found out later they were the only ones in the class who did.  Jewel got a good hearty laugh awhile ago as we remembered. 

Online Rabbitproof

• Sprout
  • Foothills of the Smokey Mtns-heaven on earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2017, 04:30:31 AM »
Ha, Monroe, anything on ice bores me to tears,too!! My brother talked us to going to some highly advertised IceCapades in Memphis featuring Scott Hamilton and other greats. After 15 minutes, I had had enough----and that show went on for 2.5 hours!!!

Online Monroe

• Sprout
  • We are still here
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2017, 04:25:25 PM »
Rabbit everything was new to us we had never seen anyone ice skate & didn't know what to expect.
To be honest Jerald & I had a good time. As we talked about this the other night we concluded the year was 1953. I saw my first ever TV set at the fair. Those were exciting days back then for us.