Author Topic: driving distractions  (Read 122 times)

Online Monroe

• Sprout
  • We are still here
    • View Profile
driving distractions
« on: October 05, 2017, 07:11:08 AM »
sitting in a car today looks like you're getting ready for a blast off count down. I know all this because of the car DIL drives and the one Jim drives. we looked at new cars and backed off buying. I have to admit there were distractions back in the 50s because of personal involvement. I was almost 17 and had bought a pride & joy that did not have anything about it to distract , but we still ended up in a ditch leaning against the bank on a corner. Jewel was as proud of that PU as I was, she always would sit as close to me as possible without being in my lap. we had just go through Sabine bottom and was turning bare pin corner, almost a hard 90degree with deep sand. it does not take four hands on the steering wheel, but my two had grabbed the wheel too late into the turn causing over steering right into the ditch. No telling what might have happened if we had been texting or watching one of those TV screens in the dash. The news this morning was talking about distractions on the cars of today.
                                                                 Monroe
Jewel & I have had a beautiful journey together

Offline woodchip gardener

• Dirt Dabber
  • zone 7 - above Charlotte NC
    • View Profile
Re: driving distractions
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2017, 05:27:31 PM »
it is darn scary to drive here these days mr. monroe.  i don't blame the phones...i blame the (insert expletive here) who can't seem to keep off of them long enough to concentrate on driving.  besides the idiots who cross the middle lines i would say the most annoying thing to me about folks on their phones are the stop lights.  folks are so wrapped up in looking at their little gadgets that they don't move when the light changes.  this is especially annoying in left hand turn arrow lanes when the light is only going to let a few cars through anyway.  ug.

it used to be if i had to honk at someone once a year it was alot.  it seems like i have to do it pretty much every time i drive now so they get back on their side of the line or go already.  >:(

post something!  c'mon...you know ya wanna...  :)

Online Monroe

• Sprout
  • We are still here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2017, 11:38:00 AM »
Chipper I can't remember not driving and over all those years I've received two traffic tickets--one for going down a hill at 67MPH instead of the posted 60--the other from being in a Right turn only lane that I was unaware of then pulling back into the proper lane, young officer gave me a ticket. These two were years ago in Dallas traffic. Way back in the 60s I had a minor accident in a construction zone, no ticket. I consider myself a safe driver, don't even listen to the radio anymore, no phone talk, absolutely nothing to distract--BUT my Insurance went up because I'm over 80 years old.

Monroe
Jewel & I have had a beautiful journey together

Offline Tazzy Turfer

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2017, 05:06:33 AM »
G'day Guys,
I think now days they don't drive cars, They Aim them.
        Regards Pete
Life is like a roll of toilet paper, The closer you get to the end the faster it goes, So don't waste any of it!!