Author Topic: Sixty three years ago  (Read 328 times)

Online Monroe

• Sprout
  • We are still here
    • View Profile
Sixty three years ago
« on: October 21, 2017, 02:16:00 PM »
It was when we first started talking about a plan for life. We knew it was to be together but details were sketchy at that time. Jewel was a little less than two weeks from being 18. We talked about that time in our life this morning at breakfast. In a little less than two weeks Jewel will have a birthday, the numbers will be reversed. Back then we had already started making every nickel count, we didn't foolishly spend money although I had her a full rhinestone set on lay-away at the jewelry store. That would be her Christmas present. She still has it. She gave me a leather billfold and a cigarette lighter with matching leather, I don't still have it. I do still have a leather hand made belt she gave me once with my name in the back. In Jan. of 55 there was a big promotion made about the opening of a new planetarium  at the fair park in Dallas. It was a pretty cold, but sunny Sunday afternoon we got in the Studebaker truck & went to see it. On the way back we knew it was time to marry & stop the having to kiss & say good by at her door. All this is what our memory talked about this morning.
Jewel & I have had a beautiful journey together

Online Rabbitproof

• Sprout
  • Foothills of the Smokey Mtns-heaven on earth
    • View Profile
Re: Sixty three years ago
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2017, 05:46:06 PM »
The day Bobby proposed ----or rather said we WOULD get married, I was not paying attention. The sky looked horrible---dirty orangish, greenish, black. We were riding up on the levee, and all I could say was"Look at the sky, look at the sky." He finally got me to pay attention and the rest is history----that was
Feb 21, 1971--we got married the following Sept.  A terrible tornado bounced over our town that day and ferociously hit Inverness, Ms. I knew when I saw that sky that we had better get off the levee soon---stayed up there just long enough for me to say, "Yes".

Online Monroe

• Sprout
  • We are still here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2017, 08:21:04 PM »
Rabbit I never did propose to Jewel we decided together to go get the engagement ring. Sometimes in a movie we see the down on a knee with a ring & Jewel would kid me about that. There were family members including our Reverend friend who thought it would be nice to do the vow repete thing on our 60th anniversary. We didn't want to do that because it wasn't necessary. We grew up together, we know each other. One time her sister Julia told me that when Jewel was little she(Julia) and Virginia thought Jewel could absolutely read their thoughts. It does seem like Jewel was always a jump ahead of me. I'm glad you wasn't flying through the air hollering yes. Feb was a good month to marry, ours was on the 2nd. 55. We had reached the place where we had to be together all the time.

Online Rabbitproof

• Sprout
  • Foothills of the Smokey Mtns-heaven on earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2017, 05:38:54 AM »
Yes, Monroe----we,too, did not do the down on the knee thing. Actually, we had discussed our future off and on somewhat beforehand. It was more of just making the final decision official. I thought we should wait til I graduated from college----had one more yr. But Bobby had had enough of waiting and told me so on that day on the levee!!

Online Monroe

• Sprout
  • We are still here
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2017, 09:57:34 PM »
we didn't tell anyone of our plans right then but I got to thinking it over and told her Dad later. He said he wasn't  surprised. no one gave us a very hard time , but Virginia wanted us to promise that college was definitely in the plan.