Author Topic: Vegetable Broker  (Read 2151 times)

Offline Turkeybend

• Grasshopper
  • If it is to be, It is up to me.
    • View Profile
Vegetable Broker
« on: February 01, 2016, 10:16:31 PM »
I would like to hear from folks that may sell their vegetables to juice bars and/or restaurants in your local area.  How do you price your vegetables when delivered in bulk?  I know of other small farmers that would also like to sell their bunches of carrots, beets and kale but only have a small portion to contribute.  I would like to assign my daughter as a veggie broker to make contact with the buyers but I'm not sure how to price the stuff out.  Any thoughts??
Kubota L3800HST Tractor
Land Pride RTR1566 Garden Tiller
Cimarron Single Moldboard Plow w/ Coulter Wheel
Cimarron Row Hipper
FSP500 Spreader

Zone: 8b
Richmond, TX

Online Zook

• Sprout
  • Zookdesign.com
    • View Profile
    • www.zookdesign.com
Re: Vegetable Broker
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2016, 11:34:31 AM »
Well Turkeybend from being a Truck broker for the last 25+ years I can say I don't have a clue ::) I know that did not help you one bit but I want to hear what others may have to say about pricing as well...

Offline AllisCA

• Grasshopper
  • Amanda, OH
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2016, 09:26:58 AM »
We deliver to one restaurant 5 days a week and have landed a second. Pricing has been derived from farmers market knowledge, some grocery store comparison and face to face negotiation. Because of the volume and continuous business we discount some items. Pretty much across the board we charge 1.00/lb for root crops and 3.00/lb for leafy greens. All is delivered.
DBA PoorBoyz Produce
Zone 5b

Offline Turkeybend

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2016, 09:03:35 PM »
We are meeting with the owner of the new local "Juice Bar" to discuss her produce needs.  I will follow back up with everyone on how it goes.  I have a lot of really good Nelson and Napoli carrots, Red Ace beets, cabbage, broccoli, buttercrunch lettuce and Bibb lettuce that I need to sell.  I believe that Market selling all of it would require a lot more time in my opinion. 

I'm keeping my carrots crossed.  :)
Kubota L3800HST Tractor
Cimarron Row Hipper
FSP500 Spreader

Richmond, TX

Offline Turkeybend

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2016, 07:26:22 PM »
Well to follow up on the juice bar opportunity,... It was so so. They obviously need to make money on the juiced vegetable drinks that they sell, so they need to buy vegetables for the least amount that they can.  They presently buy from Brother's Produce, a big wholesale grower in Texas.  Not sure that I want to compete with a cold wholesale truck coming in from the valley; I'll do something else.

We did gave them a tub of freshly picked carrots, beets kale and several heads of outstanding broccoli.  They shared some nice juiced cucumber, celery, ginger, pear and spinach.  It was good, cost was $8 if purchased. However, I really like my juiced drinks if given a choice, even my wife and kids agree.

I think the result is that we will find other creative ways to market our veggies.  8)

My other thought is to find or have made an old fashion covered wagon.  Have a little jackass pulling it with a goat in tow on a rope.  My wagon is full to $800 worth.  The novality and draw is the complete package.  Sell it all and do it again!!
Kubota L3800HST Tractor
Cimarron Row Hipper
FSP500 Spreader

Richmond, TX

Offline AllisCA

• Grasshopper
  • Amanda, OH
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2016, 10:41:11 AM »
It was so so. They obviously need to make money on the juiced vegetable drinks that they sell, so they need to buy vegetables for the least amount that they can.
I'm not surprised about how it turned out. This local food thing is all the craze but all too often there is the reality of price point. Finding a market that is willing to pay a little more for fresh can be a challenge. I like to say its perceived value. If they don't perceive their juice is any better or more nutritious with your products over the volume brokers then you'll have to meet that price point.
I am very lucky in that we have a market that sees the value and wants fresh local food to sell to their customers and is willing to pay for and their customers are willing to pay also so the price of a meal reflects that. An example of how we make it work is our kale. Of course they can buy organic kale at the grocery fresh every morning. However they have to take it in whatever form the farm picked it in. With us they can specify exactly what maturity and appearance of a leaf they want to use in their salads. So we pick that leaf 4-5" long with a very curly appearance. We provide them with something the store can't and we deliver it daily fresh. We are able to command a premium price for that service. Most of time 3xs more than at the grocery.
Our other crops are the same way. When we sell beets is the size they want, not the size that happened to be available that day at the store. Most of the time I'm willing to take a little less for root crops I sell to restaurants because of the increased volume.
DBA PoorBoyz Produce
Zone 5b

Offline David D

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2016, 10:34:18 PM »
If you want to get into wholesaling vegetables, I use the USDA vegetable terminal market reports to get an idea of what wholesale is going for. The problem competing with a produce distributor is they have endless supply all season.  The broker I deal with gets produce shipments from all over the US and can supply the Restuarants with what they need all year, so I sell to the broker.

Here is the USDA link:

https://www.ams.usda.gov/market-news/fruit-and-vegetable-terminal-markets-standard-reports

Mobile, AL
Zone 9