Author Topic: Market plants  (Read 2883 times)

Offline Nightcro

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
Market plants
« on: February 14, 2016, 07:38:12 PM »
My wife and I started a local farmers market in our town last year and people really supported it. We are doing the same this year but planting more of what our customers wanted last year. My question to you all is this - have you ever had any luck growing and selling plants themselves? We are starting 800 tomato plants and 200 pepper plants which sell for $6+tax at the big box stores - we are gonna sell them for $5. I'll attach a pic later of one of the four grow setups we started tonight. The other 3 are soon to come - each "house" holds 240 plants. I'm thinking we will start one a week ? Thoughts?

Offline corl

• Global Moderator
  • Grasshopper
    • View Profile
    • Nunamaker Farms LLC
Re: Market plants
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2016, 08:01:49 PM »
Selling bedding plants is the way I start my season at the Farmers' markets. You need to know the supply and demand of your situation. Starting lots of plants doesn't necessarily mean that you have a market for them. I have lots of plants for sale in my area not including the high priced box stores. I can usually sell enough to cover my entire seed costs for the season. Some years are better than others.
Dave   SE Pa Zone 6b
www.nunamakerfarms.com
Kubota MX5100
Kubota F2100
Phoenix 74 inch rototiller
Phoenix 84 inch finish mower
GB70 garden bedder

Offline ccat

• Grasshopper
  • It takes a big chicken to weigh 20 pounds
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2016, 07:37:13 AM »
I have always been interested in this subject, as I will enter the "market" in a few years at retirement.
I will follow this post closely.
Dave, so you sell plants of a certain variety no matter what the box stores sell?   Do you ever advertise and sell from Craigslist?
Thanks
ccat
Fayetteville, Arkansas  Zone 6b
NO MATTER WHERE YOU GO, THAT'S WHERE YOU'LL BE

Offline agragarden

• Grasshopper
  • Zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2016, 08:02:14 AM »
   Janene and I went to where we sell produce and set up with nothing but plants, toms and peppers,[ this was around the first of april when all the stores had plants to sell]  Sold just a few in four hours. Will not do that again.

Rick

Offline Jo-Ann

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2016, 09:24:32 AM »
I grow a lot of hot peppers that I use in making my pepper jellies for market sales. I usually start more than I can use, so I put an ad on craigslist for the extras. I always sell out. The peppers are the super hot ones that folks seem to want - Carolina Reaper, naglahs, Trinidad scorpions, plus a few jalapenos. I'm growing a lot of extras this year just for sales.
Jo-Ann
Gardening in New Orleans

Offline AllisCA

• Grasshopper
  • Amanda, OH
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2016, 10:23:09 AM »
We have given thought to try and sell a few bedding plants this yr. Problem around here is the nurseries sell so cheap. And then the Amish whoom I myself am using sell at 5 bucks a 98 cell flat. It's hard to compete with those that are seeding 10s of 1000s of flats a season. I think the one farm told me they will do 30,000 onions themselves. I didn't get the number of contracts.
Another nursery sells at 6.75 a flat any cell amount. So you could do the 288s for same price as a 50 cell.
DBA PoorBoyz Produce
Zone 5b

Offline corl

• Global Moderator
  • Grasshopper
    • View Profile
    • Nunamaker Farms LLC
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2016, 11:08:38 AM »
ccat:  This will be my 6th year selling from the farm and 2 Farmers' Markets. I have developed a bit of a following and advertise what is available, both plants and produce on my website  www.nunamakerfarms.com     and on the local town message board on Facebook. Price is always included on the website page.
Bedding plants are not a big portion of my yearly sales. The plants I sell are the same ones I plant for produce plus a few different tomatoes. This year we are starting to sell a FARM BASKET at the farm and plants can be substituted for produce early in the season. It is explained on the website. I have to compete with Amish vendors as well so they are not high priced plants. They are usually healthier looking than my competition.
Dave   SE Pa Zone 6b
www.nunamakerfarms.com
Kubota MX5100
Kubota F2100
Phoenix 74 inch rototiller
Phoenix 84 inch finish mower
GB70 garden bedder

Offline keger

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2016, 06:51:14 PM »
Might want to think about herbs.  I sell a lot  of basils and parsley, cilantro. etc this time of year while waiting for produce to pop.

A few tomato plants, very limited here

Online Boudreaux in Eunice La.

• Sprout
  • Zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2016, 03:54:01 PM »
My wife and I started a local farmers market in our town last year and people really supported it. We are doing the same this year but planting more of what our customers wanted last year. My question to you all is this - have you ever had any luck growing and selling plants themselves? We are starting 800 tomato plants and 200 pepper plants which sell for $6+tax at the big box stores - we are gonna sell them for $5. I'll attach a pic later of one of the four grow setups we started tonight. The other 3 are soon to come - each "house" holds 240 plants. I'm thinking we will start one a week ? Thoughts?

How many are you selling at 5 bux. A 6 pack or a 4 pack ?

I sell Amelias and Fl 91 at 2 bucks apiece. Big and healthy though not small 5 inch plants.

Peppers I sell according to heat rate and rarity.
I'm a optimist. Pessimists think all girls are bad. The optimist hope he's right ~!~!

Click for weather forecast

Offline Mbell97

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2016, 09:20:19 PM »
Would love to hear more about yahs experiences!!

Offline ONGardener

• Grasshopper
  • Ontario, Canada Zone 4b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2016, 09:56:52 AM »
Last year at the market I attended I sold Seedlings. All kinds, Squash, Tomatoes, Lettuce, Beans, Peas, and Herb boxes and plants. They sold well, and i am going to be selling again this year in the early spring. I don't have tons of seedlings to sell, but this year I am ramping up production with them and will have over 500 seedlings. I doubt they will all sell, but they cost very little to grow myself, so even if I only sell 150, I will be making profit.

Things like Tomatoes and Peppers I charge $4 each for a 3" pot. The Squash and Cucumber type plants I sell for $2.75/2-$5, and Herbs $3.50/3-$10, and Herb Boxes which hold 3 Herbs, for $12. That is what the going cost is in this area as far as markets. But I can also sell a quart of Sugar snap peas and Beans for $5 each all day long, but then people complain that I charge $0.50 for a Cucumber. I make money on some things and others I don't. All part of the business I guess.

Good luck to you!
Market gardening in Ontario, Canada.
Zone 4b.

Kubota MX5100
74" Tiller
Middle buster
Cultivator
Mulch Layer
Row Hippers

www.facebook.com/eaglevalleyproduce
www.youtube.com/theontariogardener

Offline Nightcro

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2016, 10:21:23 PM »
The 6-8" single plants sell for about $6 here at the box stores. I'll be selling 10-12" plants starting April 2nd for $5 per plant. Will post results when I have em but I've presold 75 plants or so already on our Facebook page and website.

Offline AllisCA

• Grasshopper
  • Amanda, OH
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2016, 10:18:31 PM »
I was looking at a Bonnie plant stand at Sutherlands last weekend. Typical pricing you would expect and thought to myself, not too far from here you can buy plants in a 96 cell tray for 8 bucks all day long. Are these all impulse buys or why would ya.
DBA PoorBoyz Produce
Zone 5b

Offline Double B

• Sprout
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2016, 04:27:55 PM »
Allis,

I think some probably are impulse buyers and then some people don't want 96 plants of any one variety of anything. It is easier to have a small raised bed box in your back yard with a couple of squash plants, a couple of tomatoes and a cucumber rather than an acre or two of garden. Particularly if you live in a subdivision, 96 plants would be years of plants for some people. You operate on a much larger scale than many folks.

What amazes me is I see Bonnie plants at Walmart last week and they had single plants of okra. Oh well....different strokes for different folks ;)
14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere 655Z

Offline AllisCA

• Grasshopper
  • Amanda, OH
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2016, 06:41:19 PM »
I think some probably are impulse buyers and then some people don't want 96 plants of any one variety of anything
I meant 98 cell trays sorry. At the prices I saw you could afford to use a few and throw the rest out. One of the farms I patronize sells many of their bedding plants in a 72 tray with 12/6pks. Works out 11cents a plant. Just buy a 6pk. ;D
DBA PoorBoyz Produce
Zone 5b