Author Topic: Whats for supper ?  (Read 45895 times)

Offline Tazzy Turfer

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
Re: Whats for supper ?
« Reply #680 on: September 09, 2017, 03:51:17 AM »
G'day All,
For tonight's repast we had a red lentil dahl with crispy bacon crumbled on top, & desert was chocolate cherry rum balls with a whipped coconut flavored  cream all washed down with a home made Baileys Irish cream liquor .
                      Regards Pete
Life is like a roll of toilet paper, The closer you get to the end the faster it goes, So don't waste any of it!!

Offline Bentcords

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: September 10, 2017, 07:38:02 PM »
Sausage,mini omelets,biscuits,maters and gravy,black coffee. Byron
In the heart of the bluegrass. Frankfort.Ky. Zone 6a

Online Double B

• Sprout
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: September 11, 2017, 08:29:17 PM »
This evening I browned a couple of pounds of hamburger meat with a large onion chopped up. Drained the grease off and added beef broth and then the fun began. I added a can of our tomatoes, celery, Lima beans, corn, carrots, green beans and some potatoes. It made a big pot of delicious beef vegetable soup.
14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere 655Z

Offline woodchip gardener

• Dirt Dabber
  • zone 7 - above Charlotte NC
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: September 12, 2017, 08:38:46 AM »
that sound delish db!  perfect for the rainy cold weather.

last night we made hamburgers.  i made them really thin (i just press it out thin on some parchment on a cookie tray then salt/pepper/onion powder/garlic powder and put it in the oven) so my little one would eat it.  she covered hers in pickles and ketchup, but she actually ate half of it!  she loves most veggies, but trying to get her to eat any sort of meat has always been a challenge, so i am excited!
we had them on the store brand of a king's hawaiian sort of hamburger bun.  (hub stopped a couple of days ago to get bread and that was all they had left...lol.)  they were very soft, but the little bit of sweetness was a nice compliment to the burger.  i had mine classic with lettuce, toms and raw onion.  i sauteed up some mushrooms for hub's and he really enjoyed it. 
Inch by inch, row by row
Someone bless these seeds I sow
Someone warm them from below
Till the rain comes tumblin' down
-The Garden Song

Offline Tazzy Turfer

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: September 13, 2017, 07:42:41 PM »
G'day All,
Tea was a Tomato & bacon soup with a corn bread on the side & was down with a hot chocolate & a dash of my Jamaican styled dark rum.
                      Regards Pete
Life is like a roll of toilet paper, The closer you get to the end the faster it goes, So don't waste any of it!!

Offline Tazzy Turfer

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: September 14, 2017, 09:11:11 AM »
Tonight was a Beef Stroganoff on a bed of riseoni ,then a local salted caramel ice cream washed down with a mint tea,
       Regards Pete

• Dirt Dabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: September 14, 2017, 07:25:18 PM »
we had to go up to get our older daughter from college today, so we stopped on the way home at a local chain.  they make a hamburger cut in half and put on a pita bread with lettuce, onion and homemade tzatziki sauce.  i had that with a side salad.  it was good!  hub had a gyro, my older daughter had beef tips over rice with steamed veg and our little one had a hot dog and fries with a side of cut tomatoes...lol. 
Inch by inch, row by row
-The Garden Song

Offline Vince6424

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: September 15, 2017, 07:43:39 AM »
I stopped at a good butcher shop on my way home from work  and this is what I saw in his frozen section  ;D

1/2 acre bush block in the Perth Hills, Australia

Offline bigboberta

• Grasshopper
  • Making Gumbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: September 15, 2017, 10:45:57 AM »
Why not, we eat alligator tail and we love it.  Have they tried crocodile tail there?

Bob
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 10:48:19 AM by bigboberta »
Retired Firefighter.

Zone 8b.
Mahindra 3525
2.5 acres
Easleyville, LA

Offline Tazzy Turfer

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: September 15, 2017, 07:49:23 PM »
G'day Bob,
You can get Skippy at most of the bigger grocery stores like Coles or Woolworth's ,The tails are good stewed low & slow & there are some pretty good lean cuts of meat for steaks off the legs ETC, just like the Wallaby meat. Crocodile is more on the restaurant menu along with Emu  etc ,to get these Au natural you need a specialty supplier or collect them yourself from the scrub .However if you want to try these meats done differently there are Bakeries that make them in a range of meat pies or Sausage rolls pretty much all around Australia .My mate used to ask the young shop assistants for a crocodile sandwich at the local takeaway & tell them to make it snappy,LOL) he used to get some weird looks an a few giggles.
                          Regards Pete

Offline crazyhorse

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #690 on: September 15, 2017, 11:45:04 PM »
Baked chicken,
boiled taters,
maters,
coleslaw,
home made biscuits,
Diet Pepsi & sugar free popsicle.

Offline Vince6424

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: September 16, 2017, 12:50:32 AM »
Hi Bob, yes this butcher also sells crocodile meat. I will have to try it one of those days.
1/2 acre bush block in the Perth Hills, Australia

Online Double B

• Sprout
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: September 16, 2017, 08:22:46 AM »
Last night my wife and I had a friend (Joe) that was staying with us so we started grilling. He invited a friend to come by. Next our neighbors came over and friends came too. We ended up with 13 people and 7 dogs. I grilled for several hours while we visited and had a great time. We cooked bacon wrapped jalapeños, corn on the cob, beef tenderloin filets, bone in ribeye steaks, pork chops and jalapeño cheddar fresh pork sausage. It was yummy!
14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere 655Z

• Dirt Dabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: September 16, 2017, 06:47:27 PM »
it sounds like you had a great get together db!  :)

tonight was the last night my daughter would be home, so i made steak, pierogies, applesauce and green beans. 

Inch by inch, row by row
-The Garden Song

Online Double B

• Sprout
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: September 16, 2017, 09:28:05 PM »
Woodchip,

It was a great time. Folks just kept coming by and I kept on grilling. It was pleasant outside and it seemed like everyone had a good time and ate well too.

Tonight it was just my wife and I and we had chicken and spinach enchiladas along with purple hull peas and okra.

Offline Tazzy Turfer

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: September 17, 2017, 06:40:17 AM »
G'day All,
  Tonight we had a pulled pork pie & Veggies, Fruit yogurt, & lemon Mineral water.
Regards Pete

Online Double B

• Sprout
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: September 18, 2017, 07:51:20 AM »
Yesterday my next door neighbor wanted to fire up his fryer so I thawed out two bags of shrimp, two bags of frog legs, a bag of crappie filets and a quart of oysters. He had some catfish filets and by the time it was said and done we fed ten or eleven folks and watched the Astros clinch their division title and a bunch of football. A good time was had by all. We also made homemade hush puppies. They are the most unique hush puppies you have ever seen and also the best I have ever tasted ;)

Offline SpringTxGardener

• Grasshopper
  • Located between Spring and The Woodlands Texas, 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: September 18, 2017, 09:01:39 AM »
Double B, you got a recipe and instructions on how to make those hush puppies?
Arlie

• Dirt Dabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: September 18, 2017, 09:18:07 AM »
we had a nice lunch yesterday before my older daughter left to go back to school.  we had spicy black bean patties on onion rolls with raw spinach, tomato and some garlic mayo.  i had not had them before and got them for her to have while home.  they were good.  they kind of tasted like refried beans (which i like, but generally don't eat because they are traditionally made with lard) with a kick...but they were thinner and had more of a texture of a skinny crab cake.  i will get them again.  the little even tried it.  i think she was ok with the bean flavor, but thought they were too spicy.  lol.  we had them with a side of sliced apples.  the little one had some peanut butter on her apples to offset her not having the burger and she wiped out all of the tomatoes i had cut up for on the sandwiches. 

Inch by inch, row by row
-The Garden Song

Online Double B

• Sprout
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: September 18, 2017, 04:53:34 PM »
Double B, you got a recipe and instructions on how to make those hush puppies?

Arlie,

I'll put it over in the recipe section.

Double B