Author Topic: Got any interesting news?  (Read 34811 times)

Offline crazyhorse

• Sprout
    • View Profile
Re: Got any interesting news?
« Reply #400 on: August 14, 2017, 03:47:01 AM »
Does the Chickenbeard family in Knox County ,  Indiana hold the secret to wedded bliss?
Eight siblings been married for a total of 449 years.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/do-indiana-familys-eight-siblings-hold-the-secret-to-wedded-bliss/

Offline woodchip gardener

• Dirt Dabber
  • zone 7 - above Charlotte NC
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: August 16, 2017, 06:52:06 AM »
there was an article on cbs this morning about the 'dead zone' in the gulf.  the nutrient rich farmland water from the midwest gets into the rivers and the run off goes into the gulf which causes a chain reaction involving algae and bacteria that end up using up all the oxygen in the water in that area.  it said it is bigger than average this year due to all the rain.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/dead-zone-gulf-of-mexico-biggest-ever/
Inch by inch, row by row
Someone bless these seeds I sow
Someone warm them from below
Till the rain comes tumblin' down
-The Garden Song

Online Double B

• Sprout
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: August 16, 2017, 07:48:42 AM »
Michelle,

We have been following the "dead zone" hype for years. While I am sure there is a fraction of truth in there, we sure catch a lot of fish in this horribly oxygen depleted area. Billions of pounds of shrimp and commercial seafood also come from this poor zone too. I am not sure what their end game is by this propaganda but I am sure we will find out sooner than later. Our Cajun friends fish it every day with tremendous results too.
14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere 655Z

Online GopherBroke

• Sprout
  • Half Haas Farm
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: August 16, 2017, 03:19:39 PM »
That sort of fake news serves the people making big money from the climate change bull plop.  I am not saying that the government shouldn't keep pushing industry into tighter controls, but to kill whole industries is crazy.  Telling a lie over an over doesn't make it true.   

I tried to eat as much of those dead zone shrimp, an oysters as I could, an I can tell you they were mighty tasty! 
zone 5b Half Haas Farm
Bill
Riley, Indiana for the summer

Offline Rabbitproof

• Sprout
  • Foothills of the Smokey Mtns-heaven on earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: August 16, 2017, 04:07:24 PM »
Fake news is hard to tell from the real stuff these days. Has mad a total skeptic out of me on everything.

Online bobcatgardener

• Grasshopper
  • Always starting more than I should! But keeps me m
    • View Profile
« Reply #405 on: August 16, 2017, 05:10:27 PM »
They make it sound so horrible, but they never tell you what percentage of the gulf is covered in the dead zone. Or the fact that they are pretty sure that it has been around long before chemical fertilizers were being used.

The BP oil spill was a tragedy, they tell you not in how many barrels but how many gallons oil was released into the gulf. By telling it in gallons it sounds so much worse.

What they never tell people is that all the oil that was released would be like dropping an average size tube of super glue into an Olympic size swimming pool for an amount reference. Or that there is more naturally released oil and gases released naturally into the gulf daily, from the earth than the whole combined oil spill. It is spread over a much larger area but it happens.

The dead zone is a real thing, what's worse is all the trash that is released out into the waters that ends up killing more sea life than the dead zones.

The government making oil companies remove platforms that have been in the gulf for years and have proven to make great ecosystems for marine life. Pulling them out and destroying that system for all the marine life that was living there.

I could go on more in-depth and on more issues bit this is not the place for it. Working in the gulf has given me an advantage to actually see these things.  I choose to watch very little news or read about it. It's always doom and gloom, or someone pushing their agenda. I choose to just work my little farm, spend as much time with the kids as I can, and go to work. Then repeat.

Again please don't take this as any disrespect to anyone or their belief, it's just my point of view.

Offline Vince6424

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: August 17, 2017, 08:11:34 AM »
Latest plant biosecurity news from work. This is what is keeping us very busy at the moment.

https://www.agric.wa.gov.au/plant-biosecurity/biosecurity-alert-dickeya-dianthicola
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 08:19:28 AM by Vince6424 »
1/2 acre bush block in the Perth Hills, Australia

• Dirt Dabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: August 17, 2017, 11:43:31 AM »
hi vincent

i am sorry to hear of their most recent outbreak.  the potato farmers can't seem to get a break.

the article said it was already found on 4 commercial growing sites and they were placed on quarantine.  does that mean they lose their whole crop?  even the ones without the sickness?  what do they do?  do they know how they got the sick tubers?  i thought you could not bring outside potatoes into australia?
Inch by inch, row by row
-The Garden Song

Online bordercollie

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: August 17, 2017, 05:35:42 PM »
I thought I would do a little  "Eclipse Bathing"  ;D

But now the loonies are coming out with the bad news.

https://www.aol.com/article/news/2017/08/08/total-solar-eclipse-apocalypse-2017/23070430/?a_dgi=aolshare_facebook
  Mr Horse,  Maybe check this out if you like  :  It''s known as the  "Revelation 12 sign " happening on Sept 23...  I'm interested in that study since signs in the heavens are put there for us to see and show us things.  This is not astrology in any way  I am speaking of but what is told to us in the Bible (Luke 21:25) . Very interesting . :)   judy   edit :   I have a good link by a reputable guy,  if you want it pm me . 
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 05:44:20 PM by bordercollie »

Offline Rabbitproof

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: August 17, 2017, 05:54:36 PM »
Judy, could you send me the link,too?

Online bordercollie

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: August 17, 2017, 10:07:14 PM »
Sure thing Rabbitproof.   Just now, I can't find my favorite utube  of it yet thru the mire of  junk ones . Like Mr Horse was saying, there are quite a few "flakes" out there with videos on it so ya have to be careful of whom you listen to .   
The study of "hidden" meanings  in the text and use of numbers is just fascinating to me and I think something may be here  to find . Anyways, I think I'll find the right video in the morning when I have my coffee with the wonderful quiet around me . :) :)   judy

Offline Rabbitproof

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: August 18, 2017, 08:23:54 AM »
Judy----take your time and enjoy your early morning peaceful cup of coffee. Definitely one of the best times of day---if not THE best!  I,too, love the hidden things and the numbers in the Bible---so absolutely fascinating!

Offline Rabbitproof

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: August 18, 2017, 01:57:33 PM »
Judy----left you a PM

• Dirt Dabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: August 18, 2017, 02:28:12 PM »
they found a 5ft+ rattlesnake under the deck of a New Orleans home.

http://www.fox8live.com/story/36159317/monster-snake-captured-beneath-new-orleans-east-home
Inch by inch, row by row
-The Garden Song

Offline nuclearmac

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: August 19, 2017, 05:33:50 PM »
article says 5 ft.8 in.   killed one a month ago 4ft.10 in. 9 rattles and a button week later  nearby picked up fresh   [still wiggling] road kill 5ft.2 in. 8 rattles and a button ..  made a rattlesnake chili with that one... not bad...

Offline Vince6424

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: August 31, 2017, 06:34:26 AM »
Spring starts tomorrow down under here: 1st of September is official first day of spring  ;D
1/2 acre bush block in the Perth Hills, Australia

• Dirt Dabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: August 31, 2017, 10:04:32 PM »
a man in LA built a dam out of tubing and water to keep the flood waters from getting in to his house.

http://wkrg.com/2017/08/30/man-creates-a-dam-to-protect-his-home-from-flooding/
Inch by inch, row by row
-The Garden Song

Offline crazyhorse

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: September 08, 2017, 02:35:52 AM »

Offline crazyhorse

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: September 09, 2017, 03:34:26 AM »

• Dirt Dabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: September 12, 2017, 09:04:47 AM »
omgosh...they are adorable!  75 years!  that is amazing!

#lifegoals
Inch by inch, row by row
-The Garden Song