Author Topic: What did you do in the garden today ?  (Read 180477 times)

Online Gymgirl

• Sprout
  • Zone 9a, SE Houston near Hobby Airport
    • View Profile
Re: What did you do in the garden today ?
« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2016, 09:18:33 AM »
Discovered all the beets are up!  Pulled the trays from the plastic baggies & shoved them under the lights.  They probably came up Wednesday night -- 4 days from sowing.

No tomatoes are up yet...
230.5 sf of raised bed gardening; the "eBucket Queen" :-* ; Geobin composters; Mittleider "in-the-garden greenhouse" & PVC A-frame mini-greenhouses; compost fork with a green handle; coffee grinds & bunny berries forever; baby shampoo forever; cedar fence pickets forever, PVC hoops and hoop covers, forever! :-*

Offline Greg

• Grasshopper
  • Zone 5b - Pierce Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2016, 12:03:46 PM »
Discovered all the beets are up!  Pulled the trays from the plastic baggies & shoved them under the lights.  They probably came up Wednesday night -- 4 days from sowing.

No tomatoes are up yet...

I'm so jealous. I can't believe you're looking for tomatoes in Jan. I've seen it snow in June here... I'll start mine in doors around the second week of Apr. Start the hardening off process around mid May.

Please take a pic of your beets if you can, it'd be nice to see.

Greg
LS XJ2025 25hp Tractor - FEL, middle buster, row hippers and a rototiller - 1.1 acres, Pierce, Colorado

Click for weather forecast

Online Gymgirl

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2016, 01:26:36 PM »
Greg,
I'll take a pic for you!  :-*
230.5 sf of raised bed gardening; the "eBucket Queen" :-* ; Geobin composters; Mittleider "in-the-garden greenhouse" & PVC A-frame mini-greenhouses; compost fork with a green handle; coffee grinds & bunny berries forever; baby shampoo forever; cedar fence pickets forever, PVC hoops and hoop covers, forever! :-*

Offline SouthFLGardener

• Grasshopper
  • Zone 10 Backyard gardener
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2016, 04:54:15 PM »
There were HUGE storms today and I had to check my maters to see if any damage was done by the high winds and torrential downpour!  Had to "re-secure" my Indigo Rose and Golden Pear tomatoes; all of the new transplants were limp.  Hopefully with the sunshine tomorrow, all will perk right back up!

~Donna
Be glad we don't get ALL the government we pay for!

Offline 2010 National Champs

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2016, 04:59:51 PM »
i did nothing today because i am too sore from falling and rolling down a bank into a pile of tomato cages

Offline Boudreaux in Eunice La.

• Sprout
  • Zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 15, 2016, 08:01:18 PM »
Greg we start our seeds early down here. Matter of fact I planted 2K plus last year in December. Plus another thousand in January. 2014 and 2015 in perspective !!
I'm a optimist. Pessimists think all girls are bad. The optimist hope he's right ~!~!

Offline Greg

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 15, 2016, 09:45:07 PM »
I planted some indoor lettuce today!  :-*

After reading this forum I got the bug, so I went out in the garden and pulled some rocks out...after moving the snow away of course.

Tomorrow I think I'll go buy some pig manure and spread it. Only a real gardener would buy poop and be excited about it. :D
LS XJ2025 25hp Tractor - FEL, middle buster, row hippers and a rototiller - 1.1 acres, Pierce, Colorado

• Sprout
  • Zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 15, 2016, 10:05:08 PM »

After reading this forum I got the bug, so I went out in the garden and pulled some rocks out...after moving the snow away of course.

Tomorrow I think I'll go buy some pig manure and spread it. Only a real gardener would buy poop and be excited about it. :D
No No No please no Pig manure !!!
I'm a optimist. Pessimists think all girls are bad. The optimist hope he's right ~!~!

Online Gymgirl

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 15, 2016, 10:25:30 PM »
Greg,
This one's for YOU!

The first two are beets.
The last one is tomatoes!!

Offline Greg

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 15, 2016, 11:42:38 PM »

No No No please no Pig manure !!!

WHY!? Ok, I'm all paranoid now....

Offline Greg

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 15, 2016, 11:56:21 PM »
Greg,
This one's for YOU!

The first two are beets.
The last one is tomatoes!!

Those look awesome Gymgirl! Thanks for sharing!

• Sprout
  • Zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 16, 2016, 12:00:03 AM »
Greg,

Cow, horse, rabbit and chicken manure are very good.  Pigs will eat a human being if they are hungry enough. There is an old saying. Hey where's Joe at ? He went take to take a chit and the hogs ate him !!

Pigs eat anything and everything. Unless you feed a pig only feed from the feed store such as bran and rice shorts. You are probably good to go.

Somebody else will chime in on this and agree or disagree.

That's what this forum is about. Info and brain data ~!~!

Offline Greg

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 16, 2016, 02:01:55 AM »
Greg,

Cow, horse, rabbit and chicken manure are very good.  Pigs will eat a human being if they are hungry enough. There is an old saying. Hey where's Joe at ? He went take to take a chit and the hogs ate him !!

Pigs eat anything and everything. Unless you feed a pig only feed from the feed store such as bran and rice shorts. You are probably good to go.

Yea you're right. Home Depot has steer for pretty cheep too. Plus we have a sheep stock yard up the road from my house and they sell manure to the public. I've been a little shy about getting the fresh stuff however. Probably enough time between now and May for it break down...

Online Vince6424

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 16, 2016, 02:16:11 AM »
Greg,

Greg, i agree with Boo, pig manure can contain germs and parasite than can affect humans, such as tape worm... Big no no for a vegie patch. Other manure mentioned by Boo are very good for the garden. Cheers.
1/2 acre bush block in the Perth Hills, Australia

Offline Greg

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 16, 2016, 09:13:05 AM »
Greg,

Greg, i agree with Boo, pig manure can contain germs and parasite than can affect humans, such as tape worm... Big no no for a vegie patch. Other manure mentioned by Boo are very good for the garden. Cheers.

As I look down at the egg and bacon sandwich I'm having for breakfast....thanks Vince  :o :D

Seriously, thanks for the info. I've never used it before. I had noticed that the local HD had it in stock for cheap. I'll grab the steer instead now.

Online Vince6424

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 16, 2016, 08:30:17 PM »
 ;)
1/2 acre bush block in the Perth Hills, Australia

Offline LSU2001

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 17, 2016, 07:51:55 AM »
I didn't do much in the garden yesterday, but I finally finished rebuilding my greenhouse.  I have been using a PVC pipe hoop house for the past few years and I fought with ventilation, too much heat, etc.  This year I decided to build a permanent frame house and add windows and a ventilation fan.  I also used pallets to build shelves into the sides and used pallets as a raised floor.  I plan to start my seedlings today since I am finally done with the build. I will post some pics when I get them uploaded
TIm   
Cut Off, La. Zone 9
Kubota L3800
Polaris Ranger 400
Mahindra 2015
Troy Bilt Colt
Honda Rancher

Offline ONGardener

• Grasshopper
  • Ontario, Canada Zone 4b
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 17, 2016, 01:29:45 PM »
Just watching the snow fall today. Won't be in the garden for another few months, sadly :/
Market gardening in Ontario, Canada.
Zone 4b.

Kubota MX5100
74" Tiller
Middle buster
Cultivator
Mulch Layer
Row Hippers

www.facebook.com/eaglevalleyproduce
www.youtube.com/theontariogardener

Offline pete_hotard

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 17, 2016, 02:46:40 PM »
Got out in the gorgeous weather yesterday and did a good bit of work.  Built a 4'x4' bed that fits right in the crook of my L shaped raised bed.  built another box in front of the shed for growing vertically on a trellis, this will have either cucumbers or pole lima beans.  also bought an 8' 2x10 that I will cut in half and use to expand my 2'x12' tomato bed into 4'x12'.  But I have lettuce and cabbage growing in it at the moment and no dirt to fill the other half once it is expanded so i'm holding off on that.  All this rain sure made digging holes for the corner posts easy ;D ;D

ETA:  Also started two trays of 35 seeds each, Coustralee, Cherokee Purple, Amish Paste, Creole (8 each) and cherry tomatoes.  As well as cayenne, Cali Wonder Bell, jalapeno peppers and Italian Basil.  Will direct sow Dasher and straight 8 cucumbers, squash, zucchini, spaghetti squash and Pole Lima beans
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 02:52:35 PM by pete_hotard »
Pete
Baton Rouge, LA (8b)
Small backyard garden in raised beds
Hotty Toddy!!!

• Sprout
  • Zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 17, 2016, 03:00:43 PM »
Got out in the gorgeous weather yesterday and did a good bit of work.  Built a 4'x4' bed that fits right in the crook of my L shaped raised bed.  built another box in front of the shed for growing vertically on a trellis, this will have either cucumbers or pole lima beans.  also bought an 8' 2x10 that I will cut in half and use to expand my 2'x12' tomato bed into 4'x12'.  But I have lettuce and cabbage growing in it at the moment and no dirt to fill the other half once it is expanded so i'm holding off on that.  All this rain sure made digging holes for the corner posts easy ;D ;D

ETA:  Also started two trays of 35 seeds each, Coustralee, Cherokee Purple, Amish Paste, Creole (8 each) and cherry tomatoes.  As well as cayenne, Cali Wonder Bell, jalapeno peppers and Italian Basil.  Will direct sow Dasher and straight 8 cucumbers, squash, zucchini, spaghetti squash and Pole Lima beans
Do you have any extra coustralee or bella rosas ?