Author Topic: What are your Best Spring Season Marketable Vegetables?  (Read 1437 times)

Offline Turkeybend

• Grasshopper
  • If it is to be, It is up to me.
    • View Profile
What are your Best Spring Season Marketable Vegetables?
« on: March 03, 2016, 09:05:16 PM »
I have already planted 24 Amelia tomatoes, 12 Celebrities, 12 Better Boys and about 5 Sweet Mellion cherry tomatoes. I'm planning on Cucumbers, squash, okra and Black-eyed Peas very soon.  BTY.... 2 Thumbs up for the Taylor Pea Sheller... thanks Donald!  :)

What is everyone's best selection for a Spring Market?  What will you grow a lot of this year?  Will you do anything different this year from last year?
Kubota L3800HST Tractor
Land Pride RTR1566 Garden Tiller
Cimarron Single Moldboard Plow w/ Coulter Wheel
Cimarron Row Hipper
FSP500 Spreader

Zone: 8b
Richmond, TX

Offline ONGardener

• Grasshopper
  • Ontario, Canada Zone 4b
    • View Profile
Re: What are your Best Spring Season Marketable Vegetables?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2016, 07:48:07 PM »
My market doesn't start until May 21. So a bit away yet. I don't even have a seed in the ground yet. But with that being said, I think back to last year.

In the spring i sell seedlings and greens. Mixed lettuxe bags and radishes to start. As the weeks go on kale, spinach, Swiss chard, etc. eventually the main season stuff comes in and I stop with greens.

As for what I will do differently this year. Basically. more more more! More of everything. My Sugar snap peas are a crowd favorite and I will do multiple plantings this year, as well as beans. Those were my money makers next to zucchini. I say zucchini and summer squash because they cost next to nothing to seed and plant and they produce like crazy! I will be planting a lot more tomatoes and peppers this year as well.
Market gardening in Ontario, Canada.
Zone 4b.

Kubota MX5100
74" Tiller
Middle buster
Cultivator
Mulch Layer
Row Hippers

www.facebook.com/eaglevalleyproduce
www.youtube.com/theontariogardener

Offline Turkeybend

• Grasshopper
  • If it is to be, It is up to me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2016, 08:57:48 PM »
I agree with the "more, more, more" statement.  This past fall I've been doing more to fine tune my secession planting with my carrots, beets and several lettuce varieties.  It's worked out fairly well so far. I will continue with that this Spring with more detail note taking.

One of my new and different plans this year will be to work to build a large "Honeydew" Mellon patch - no pun intended.  I want to build up a high quality bed away from the large structured garden and let them grow!  I had them in the large garden last year with some success but they really do get in the way of everything.

I also agree sugar snaps and peas and beans provide a good return but I need a class of 1st graders to help me pick them! :)
Kubota L3800HST Tractor
Land Pride RTR1566 Garden Tiller
Cimarron Single Moldboard Plow w/ Coulter Wheel
Cimarron Row Hipper
FSP500 Spreader

Zone: 8b
Richmond, TX

Offline ONGardener

• Grasshopper
  • Ontario, Canada Zone 4b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2016, 06:40:39 PM »
Oh yeah Turkey, they take ages to pick! But, at $5 a quart, well worth the time.
Market gardening in Ontario, Canada.
Zone 4b.

Kubota MX5100
74" Tiller
Middle buster
Cultivator
Mulch Layer
Row Hippers

www.facebook.com/eaglevalleyproduce
www.youtube.com/theontariogardener