Author Topic: Ha'ogen (Israel) Melon  (Read 2131 times)

Offline PoconoPits

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
    • Facebook profile
Ha'ogen (Israel) Melon
« on: March 13, 2016, 02:40:36 PM »
I am looking for a few Ha'ogen melon seeds, also known as Israel melon. I am pretty maxed out on my expenses for seeds this year already and its getting pretty late. This is a variety ive seen someone on Youtube grow and they just look amazing. I would really like to still try these this year! If anyone has any they can part with I would greatly appreciate it. -Trevor

Offline MikeM

• Grasshopper
  • Used to be MikeCHS
    • View Profile
Re: Ha'ogen (Israel) Melon
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2016, 09:58:02 AM »
Sorry I don't have any seed but I just read the reviews on Baker Creek and that appears to be an awesome melon.
Shepherds Hill Farm - Zone 7a
L3200 Kubota with loader and box blade. Husqvarna rear tine tiller
19 acres in southern Middle TN

Offline PoconoPits

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
    • Facebook profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2016, 09:18:08 PM »
Absolutely! I first learned about them from a gardener on Youtube 'TimjTurner'  Ive never had one but the way he described them and the way they look, they seem like the best ever! I think I am going to splurge and spend the few bucks to order them. Never bought from baker creek so I hope they arrive in time to get them out early enough!

Offline PoconoPits

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
    • Facebook profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2016, 11:55:25 PM »
Just ordered them. If I am successful in growing them I will be more than happy to share these awesome buggers with everyone for next season!

Offline bmbobbymack

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2017, 11:46:43 AM »
any luck with the melons? i wouldnt mind a few of these seeds.
3 acres of alabama red clay, determination, yanmar 2500, tiller, yard box, bush hog, middle buster, cultivator, plenty of sweat...

Offline PoconoPits

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
    • Facebook profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2017, 04:23:07 PM »
Actually no it was a failure. Im kinda going to bash baker creek here... first off i got 2 packets. Only 5 seeds in one and 7 in the other. Out of the 5 i started indoors, only 2 sprouted. They died shortly after i put them out. The rest i started in the garden about half came up and died shortly after. Ive grown melons before and never had this problem but was very disapointed. Turns out baker creek shorted me on all my carrots as well.

Offline PoconoPits

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
    • Facebook profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2017, 04:24:43 PM »
I am going to try them again though i see high mowing seeds has them. Ill try from them.

Online Daniel Grant

• Grasshopper
  • Richmond Hill, GA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2017, 08:38:29 PM »
PoconoPits
From reading your posts you may want to look at the Victory Seed Company
They are a small seed Company that sells non GMO seeds and mostly open pollinated heirloom varieties. They are also gardeners themselves.
website is
www.VictorySeeds.com
Kubota 7100, L210, Allis G, TroyBilt, Horse, Gravely, Dr. Bush mower, Tuff Bilt tractor

Offline PoconoPits

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
    • Facebook profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2017, 10:53:30 AM »
Wow just when I thought I had my order all figured out, someone shows me a new website... Haha Thanks I just checked them out. I love the prices! I hope they send a decent amount of seed in each packet

Online Daniel Grant

• Grasshopper
  • Richmond Hill, GA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2017, 11:35:42 AM »
They tell you the approximate amount in each packet. I order seed I plant in smaller numbers from them. As I said the seed they sell are all open pollinated, family heirloom and some are rare seed. They are not chemically treated or unstable heirloom. They also encourage gardeners to send them seeds. They try to preserve seeds introduced long ago but are still good producers. This is they type of company I think we need to support as they support us. They also try to keep their prices low. I ordered Whippoorwill pea seed from them to grow enough for a much larger planting this spring. It was a pleasure to do business with them.
Dan
Kubota 7100, L210, Allis G, TroyBilt, Horse, Gravely, Dr. Bush mower, Tuff Bilt tractor

Offline PoconoPits

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
    • Facebook profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2017, 01:43:21 PM »
I understand its an approximate amount but it wasnt even close with baker creek. Made me have to completely change my plans.

Offline tuttimato

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2017, 09:31:09 AM »
I can vouch for Victory Seeds.  I've ordered several times over the years and they're always fresh and a good quantity.

Another idea you might consider is Ebay.  When I only want one thing, I do a search and usually find it.  For instance, recently I wanted some chocolate bell pepper.  They used to be common but now they're like hen's teeth.  I got them for $1.49 including the postage.  I've only had good luck with ebay seeds but it is a gamble I guess
Try and you might, don't and you won't.

MS Gulf Coast, Zone 8b

Offline BamaMan

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2017, 09:28:52 AM »