Author Topic: Transplanting Cuttings  (Read 1139 times)

Offline OrangeTxn

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
Transplanting Cuttings
« on: March 17, 2016, 07:24:51 AM »
I did a little "Googling" and found this video:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2N5tqJqTdU   Looks good to me, so I'm going to give it a shot with my recently rooted Rose of Sharon cuttings as well as my Belinda's Dream rose cuttings.  Looks like the key is using loose potting soil when planting the cuttings. 

For what it's worth, this gentleman has a variety of other nursery related videos that are a good watch. 

Location: Orange, Tx; Southeast Gulf Coast, zone 9a.  Small home garden.

Offline tuttimato

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
Re: Transplanting Cuttings
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2016, 01:26:28 AM »
I've watched lots of Mike's videos and he always gives good solid advice.  It's awful the price they charge for osmocote, even the generic, but it works like a charm.  I've found that about 3 little pearls buried for each seed I start really kicks the growth into high gear from the start.
Try and you might, don't and you won't.

MS Gulf Coast, Zone 8b

Offline OrangeTxn

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2016, 04:01:21 AM »
Tutti - Thanks for the input.  It's always good to get confirmation that a process works.  And I have to laugh and admit that sometimes I let my "cheapskate" tendencies affect my gardening.  Each time I look at the Osmocote price, I shy away.  But, hey, if it works, that's what matters.  I do have a small container of osmocote citrus fertilizer.  I'll have to get online and see if I can order a larger quantity of the regular stuff.  Again, thanks for your input.
Location: Orange, Tx; Southeast Gulf Coast, zone 9a.  Small home garden.

Offline hunter4559

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2016, 07:58:42 PM »
I've seen a number of his videos as well. Going to try and root some Red Spirea that I have to get the rest of the plants I want. Beats paying $45.00 for a one gallon plant.
Zone 6a

Offline woodchip gardener

• Dirt Dabber
  • zone 7 - above Charlotte NC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2016, 09:11:31 PM »
beeman was kind enough to send me some of his extra angle trumpet cuttings.  he already had them rooted and gave me great info/instructions on how to pot them up, which I have already done.  they will stay in the pots until spring when i can borrow my hub's uncle's walk behind tiller and break up some of the ground over along the edge of the yard.   i will be excited if all of these take and i can have a row of them along the yard.  :)

thank you again beeman for sharing and your great info!   :)
Inch by inch, row by row
Someone bless these seeds I sow
Someone warm them from below
Till the rain comes tumblin' down
-The Garden Song

Online Ragun Gardener

• Sprout
  • Lafayette La
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2016, 09:47:45 PM »
Here's a good vid about all cuttings, he just started doing videos but he's a master. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKP7A0QCElQ&t=547s

• Dirt Dabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2016, 04:04:53 PM »
hi ragun.  thanks for the link!  it was interesting to see how you handle doing cuttings based on what kind of 'wood' they are.  the hint he gave about cutting the bottoms straight and the tops at an angle to always know which way is up was very helpful.

i went out today and built a makeshift green house sort of thing for the angel trumpet cuttings.  i had an old set of plastic shelving out in the well house.  i turned it up so that the shelf was the bottom and put in 2 sets of the legs into each corner.  i had a piece of nice heavier clear plastic that we had lying around (i think it was originally on a rolled up bed topper we ordered) and it fit perfect over the top.  the legs hold up the plastic and keep it in the square shape and off the plants.  it is about 4' tall.  i will try to get a pic tomorrow.

i just used some bricks to hold the plastic down to the ground and keep the air out.  i put it right around the corner from our porch on the sunnier end of the house.  it is only for now and once the single creole dies off I will move it around the corner out of the all day sun.  i am trying to keep them within a reasonable distance for now since i have already unhooked the hose and put the spigot cover on for the winter.  this will make it easy to water by hand as well.
Inch by inch, row by row
-The Garden Song

Online Ragun Gardener

• Sprout
  • Lafayette La
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2016, 04:14:01 PM »
WARNING, WARNING, WARNING: If you have it closed up with plastic, you NEED a thermometer inside to check the temps. It can be 45 outside and inside over 100 in a matter of minutes when the sun is out and no clouds. You'll have to check it a few times a day to make sure they don't cook, 30 minutes makes a huge difference when it's cool in the morning but warms fast because of no wind. On windy days it usually doesn't heat up as fast. 

• Dirt Dabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2016, 08:20:19 AM »
hi ragun

thank you for the warning.  i uncovered the plants this morning when i got back from taking the little one to school.  the creole plant is pretty done now and i am going to pick the 2 big toms and dismantle the little planter today.  i will be moving the cuttings around the corner into that spot out of the direct sun.  the plastic is pretty much for the times when the temp is down in the 30's.  i am not intending to keep it covered all day when the temps are in the 40's or 50's. 

i will keep an eye on the cuttings and try not to bake them.  as always, thank you for your sage advice.
Inch by inch, row by row
-The Garden Song

Online Ragun Gardener

• Sprout
  • Lafayette La
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2016, 03:46:54 PM »
beeman was kind enough to send me some of his extra angle trumpet cuttings.  he already had them rooted and gave me great info/instructions on how to pot them up, which I have already done. 

Don't hog all the info on potting them up! :D I need to repot some too. I just watered some cuttings from the GTG and noticed the roots coming out of the bottom of the small pot I have them in. These things grow roots like weeds, one cutting has a root growing across the top of the soil.

• Dirt Dabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2016, 12:33:50 PM »
Beeman was kind enough to give me some basic instructions on how to re-pot them for good results.  This is the info he provided.  :)

thank you again beeman for your help and info!  :)

I just pot them in 1 gallon pots to start. I put about 1 inch of soil in the bottom of the pot and put the cutting at that point and spread the roots if possible around the pot. I then fill the pot with potting soil to about 3/4 inch from the top of the pot. This will probably be above the  root cluster. Then pack down lightly and add a little more potting soil until the soil is back to the 3/4 from the top of the pot. Be sure to water well by soaking from the top. Let it drain and water again. After the soil is moist an is completely damp put in a shaded place out of the direct sunlight. Be sure to check it each day for about a week to make sure it is damp. If you should get some rainy days, put it outside under a tree or bush so it can get some rain, but in a sheltered place if you should get some cold weather. Let me know how they do.

So far mine are doing OK.  Yay!
Inch by inch, row by row
-The Garden Song