Author Topic: hydrangea bloom  (Read 1541 times)

Online The Country Toad

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
hydrangea bloom
« on: March 25, 2016, 08:09:18 AM »
hello all!

i wondered if i could get some advice on hydrangeas.  i have a couple of plants that are a 4-5yrs old and one of them is a transplant from another plant....  (is that redundant?)   

well.  i cant get the things to bloom!   ive tried cutting them back... keeping the old growth...protecting them during winter.. different ferts from yr to yr... one is on the east side... one on the west side.. one on the north side.. and ive got one that gets south sun as well.   i will try to concentrate on a fert with extra phos this yr and see if that helps.   heck one of them was basically planted in a big ole hole of compost.    i have a couple of hydrangeas i'd like to plant that were sent to us after moms passing and just wanted to try to get them started off right.

do they bloom off of old or new growth?

thanx all very much!
Not a big difference between a green thumb and a sore back......    ROLL TIDE!

Offline woodchip gardener

• Dirt Dabber
  • zone 7 - above Charlotte NC
    • View Profile
Re: hydrangea bloom
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2016, 08:31:42 AM »
i have never grown hydrangea.  the almanac says some bloom on last year's growth (like peach trees) and some types can bloom on current growth.  i think you need to find out which you have. 

from the sites i saw, the key is water and if you are in a super hot climate they do need a little shade.

these might help

http://www.almanac.com/plant/hydrangea

http://www.usna.usda.gov/Gardens/faqs/hydrangeafaq2.html
post something!  c'mon...you know ya wanna...  :)

Online The Country Toad

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2016, 09:04:12 AM »
awesome! ty!

Offline tuttimato

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2016, 09:36:43 AM »
My Mother and Aunt lived next door and 2 doors down from me  They had the beautiful blue ones and didn't do anything special at all with them.  They were in partial shade mixed in with small trees.  I planted one  in fairly deep shade under live oaks.  It never bloomed much so I think brighter shade is better.  You can change the color from pink to blue by adjusting the soil PH.
Try and you might, don't and you won't.

MS Gulf Coast, Zone 8b

Offline pknowles

• Grasshopper
  • Zone 8b Hattiesburg, MS
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2016, 10:20:39 AM »
I would say they need very little sun, maybe in the morning. As far as fertilizer, you may have done too much for it. Try leaving them alone and let's see what happens.  Keep us updated.

PK
Just wanna work in the garden and hang out with the chickens

Online The Country Toad

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2016, 11:23:31 AM »
hmmmmm   leave em alone....   a challenge to say the least.

Offline Vince6424

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2016, 11:32:32 AM »
hmmmmm   leave em alone....   a challenge to say the least.
lol  ;)
1/2 acre bush block in the Perth Hills, Australia

Offline ccat

• Grasshopper
  • It takes a big chicken to weigh 20 pounds
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2016, 05:33:56 AM »
Toad,
T has some in our flower beds and now that I think about it, the ones up against the south side of the house flower bed, that is shaded by a huge oak, seem to bloom the most.......and I can tell you they NEVER have had fertilizer.
So maybe the fertilizer thing is an issue.   As you know, I fertilize the garden but never think about T's flowers.   They are on a drip line that gets watered about 70% of the time the garden gets watered.
About the only flower I know about is Martha White, but I can say ours do bloom and grow like crazy, especially the semi sun/shaded ones.
If this doesn't help, don't take anything out on that "extra" boat out in your barn. ;D
Fayetteville, Arkansas  Zone 6b
NO MATTER WHERE YOU GO, THAT'S WHERE YOU'LL BE